Sprint Runs of Obscure Models Maybe???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Sprint Runs of Obscure Models Maybe???

Post by JD Spydo »

When you get really into collecting and using Spyderco's great blades as much as many of us have over the years you eventually find obscure, specialized and less popular Spyderco models that for some strange reason you became heavily attracted to them. I have 3 of them I continue to like and dream about often.

Most Sprint Runs so far have been of very popular current or past models that over years have developed a larger than usual cult following of sorts. It's not often that an obscure or specialized model gets much recognition. I don't want to forget any of the obscure models that I used and collected over the years because they were also responsible for Spyderco's massive gain in popularity. But I have 3 really obscure or specialty type past Spyderco models I would like to see Sprint Runs of at some point.

But I'm sure most of you all have models that were never super popular but for whatever reason you ended up a fan of that particular model. I would like for all of you to list maybe 3 obscure or forgotten Spyderco models that you would like to see in an upcoming Sprint Run.

My top 3 obscure and Specialize Spyderco models I would love to see again are:
(1) Gunting
(2) Kris
(3) Spur
I think that there have been several models with potential that for whatever reason didn't get a chance. And I have 3 more I'll share as the thread progresses.
Evil D

Re: Sprint Runs of Obscure Models Maybe???

Post by Evil D »

SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Renegade, in the form of an alternate blade style for the Chief. Easy peasy.

Given the history and personalities involved, there will probably never be another Spyderco-manufactured Gunting, but I'd buy one.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm
SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize SE Ulize
I guess it's fair to say that a proposed Spyderco ULIZE in full SE would qualify as being obscure. Because it sure didn't last a very long time in PE when it was still in the main line up. But you've got two more to ad to it so you can have a list of 3.

Yeah I want one of those my own self. As good as serrated Hawkbills perform I can just imagine how well a full SE version of a reverse S blade would do.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:16 pm
Renegade, in the form of an alternate blade style for the Chief. Easy peasy.

Given the history and personalities involved, there will probably never be another Spyderco-manufactured Gunting, but I'd buy one.
As much as I hate to admit it I think you're right that Spyderco will never do another version of the Gunting. I traded my last Gunting model back around 2013 and I've had serious regrets ever since. But for sure Bram Frank has gone on to greener pastures. Not sure what kind of contract that they had on the Gunting model at that time. But I've noticed that they never did much with other special collaborations.

But that still doesn't keep me from wanting another one. I've heard that the plain edged version in S30V is quite rare and sought after by serious collectors. The Gunting was a very well built folder.

I'm with you all the way on the RENEGADE and BLACKHAWK models both. With a newer/better blade steel I think both of those if reintroduced would be great sellers. I EDCed a combo edged RENEGADE for slightly over a year. Yeah and the GIN-1 version at that. I loved the overall design and blade geometry on that RENEGADE. That knife was properly named>> it truly was a RENEGADE at the time of it's release. That was truly a transition period for Spyderco & Co.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'd take a Kris in a heartbeat!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm
But you've got two more to ad to it so you can have a list of 3.

SE Vesuvius, but with some CQI to the lock and detent to bring it up to current compression lock standards

And I'm not sure about it being obscure enough but I've always wanted a Nilakka in 52100/AEB-L or just about any good tool steel that'll support a zero grind really well.
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tatanka
SuperHawk
Other stuff
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Danke

Post by Danke »

Spydercard in LC200N, Kukri in REX45, Ronin in M4, Kumo in HAP40, Lum Tanto fixed in VTOKU.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just one. C87 Scorpius - I’ve always wanted to get my hands on one of these. The design visually intrigues me. Everything about it. The funky handle looks so dang comfortable. I love a good swedge too. Both PE and SE options like the original.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Salt D’Allara rescue would be great.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I would love a full size Jess Horn sprint in dark gray G10. Just like the Baby Horn sprint they released a few years back, only the big brother.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m ready for new offerings from Spyderco.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:36 pm
I’m ready for new offerings from Spyderco, they’ve released plenty of sprints or reissues as of late.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m ready for new offerings from Spyderco, they’ve released plenty of sprints or reissues as of late.

@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Lava in new iterations
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I've heard from his FB livestream a few weeks back that Jason Thoune of DLT was interested in bringing more non-mainstream Spydercos into Exclusives. The Tuff was the first of that. Maybe DLT Jordan here might be watching this thread gauging for interest.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Danke wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Spydercard in LC200N, Kukri in REX45, Ronin in M4, Kumo in HAP40, Lum Tanto fixed in VTOKU.
Great suggestions!!! With the exception of the Spydercard. I never could wrap my head around that model for different reasons. But everything else you put up is nothing short of AWESOME.

On the old KUMO fixed blade model I would also implement a different handle material. The original RONIN in M-4 and the Lum Tanto fixed blade in VTOKU. I never could figure out why they did the original Lum Tanto fixed blade in AUS-8. I would love to have one of those with a supersteel blade.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm
But you've got two more to ad to it so you can have a list of 3.

SE Vesuvius, but with some CQI to the lock and detent to bring it up to current compression lock standards

And I'm not sure about it being obscure enough but I've always wanted a Nilakka in 52100/AEB-L or just about any good tool steel that'll support a zero grind really well.
I’m always with you on the Spyderedge Ulize!

I also think any updated Vesuvius would be a popular knife now. That would make it the only design available in a Compression Lock and Backlock.
A fully serrated version as opposed to the CE of the original would be great too!
Imo, the fact that only the plain edge, drop point, Centofante 3 is still available among all of the Centofantes like the Wharncliffe Cento 4, and Vesuvius versions, etc., is really unfortunate.

Edit: almost everyone has suggested a knife that I’d buy or consider. Maybe I have a thing for a lot of the obscure models.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cl1ff wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 am

Imo, the fact that only the plain edge, drop point, Centofante 3 is still available among all of the Centofantes like the Wharncliffe Cento 4, and Vesuvius versions, etc., is really unfortunate.

If I were to guess I'd say the Centofante 3 is still in the lineup to pay respects to Frank and possibly to still send royalties for the collaboration to his family. I love the design but it doesn't seem to get much attention anymore so I'd be surprised if sales alone are keeping it around. But despite that I think a compression lock updated original would sell like crazy.
~David