Military with compression lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hvarcz

Military with compression lock

Post by hvarcz »

Hi,

what about Military with compression lock?
dj moonbat

Re: Military with compression lock

Post by dj moonbat »

There's at least a prototype out there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

hvarcz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:31 pm
Hi,

what about Military with compression lock?

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89839

Seems like - very sadly for me personally - the Military 2 will feature a comp.lock.
Sal has also said though that the linerlock Millie will stay in the lineup too, which is good to hear, since I think the Millie linerlock is a clearly better, safer and more userfriendly solution for this model (and any more "outdoorsy" and " harder use" model than a comp. lock.

I personally (and actually others too, originally not my suggestion!) would rather call a comp.lock Millie "PM 4" or "PM2 XL" since for me it will not really be a Military anymore.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

PM2 XL makes sense.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

Shaman is very solid and has comp. lock
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

download (2).jpeg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Re: Military with compression lock io

Post by James Y »

TBH, it doesn't matter much to me if the Millie has a liner lock or a comp lock, because I already own 4 Militaries and don't feel like I "have to" buy any more.

That said, I agree with Wartstein that a comp lock version would be better called the PM4, for its 4" blade; and IMO, it sounds better and is more simplified a name than PM2 XL.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

hvarcz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:04 pm
Shaman is very solid and has comp. lock
Yes, the Shaman is great and very many like it exactly as it is.
For me personally it would be even better with a linerlock though. Better to operate with gloves, cold, wet hands and so on; a bit more natural and secure in hand while operation; better ergos than a comp.lock in hard use (comp. lock cutout can create a hot spot)
Just personal preference, based on my personal experience. The comp.lock is very cool, but a linerlock overall an even better design for me. I´d most likely own a Shaman and a Caribbean if they came with a linerlock.

Now there are so many mid- and high end comp.lock in house Spydies out there anyway, the Millie is one of the very few linerlocks in that categories and for me this should not change.

I´ll stop here, cause this topic tends to get heated pretty fast... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:05 pm
download (2).jpeg

:') :')

Right, but if is there is a linerlock mafia, than there is an even "louder" comp.lock mafia too... ;)

Anyway, when it particularly comes to the Millie there obviously are not too few who don´t care for a change to a comp.lock when I recall the threads on this topic...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd also vote for "Para 4" for this idea and I even think it would sell better than "Military 2". At this point I think the Para name is practically a guaranteed hit. Everyone who wants a CL version of the Military will get it and the liner lock Military loyal will be happy. I think this is especially a good idea if they plan on trying to make the liner lock Military successfully live side by side with a compression lock version and it opens the door more for changes to the finger choil and adding 4 way clip without "ruining" the current Military design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't care much about the lock change, as comp locks and liner locks are pretty much dead even for me. They both have a weak detent that makes me think twice about buying them over lockbacks and ball locks.

That said I'm interested in the other changes this model brings to the table, like a four way clip and PM2 style choil I heard it has.

I'll most likely pick one up when they come out, especially if they run them in an interesting steel.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:26 pm
I'd also vote for "Para 4" for this idea and I even think it would sell better than "Military 2". At this point I think the Para name is practically a guaranteed hit. Everyone who wants a CL version of the Military will get it and the liner lock Military loyal will be happy. I think this is especially a good idea if they plan on trying to make the liner lock Military successfully live side by side with a compression lock version and it opens the door more for changes to the finger choil and adding 4 way clip without "ruining" the current Military design.
Perfectly put!

Though as the only change I´d really like to see a tip up option on the linerlock Millie.
When it comes to the choil: This is another thing (the more minimal choil) I clearly prefer on the Millie over the PM2 choil. But I guess I am in the minority here.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:30 pm
I don't care much about the lock change, as comp locks and liner locks are pretty much dead even for me. They both have a weak detent that makes me think twice about buying them over lockbacks and ball locks.

That said I'm interested in the other changes this model brings to the table, like a four way clip and PM2 style choil I heard it has.

I'll most likely pick one up when they come out, especially if they run them in an interesting steel.
Or they manage to give it (regardless if comp. or linerlock) a detent like my S35VN Tenacious has: Smoothly to operate, but not totally drop shutty (which I like - NOT drop shutty I mena - ) and I think no way it will come open in the pocket. Honestly almost can´t shake it open unless using kind of an Michael Janich inertia opening...

As you know I also prefer(ed) CBBL and especially backlock over linerlock and comp.lock.
The Tenacious changed that to a large degree when it comes to linerlocks!
FK

Post by FK »

All of my Military knives with CQI have excellent detent pressure when closed.
If one has a knife with weak detent, it is very easy to disassemble and push the lock bar on the liner slightly to increase pressure.
You can also lighten the lock bar pressure for the Power Snap Inertia Opening, armchair commando style.

I am not interested in a new compression lock military or multi tip up/down positions for the clip. All that does is leave holes exposed in the G10 & liners for dirt and grit to accumulate in the washer area.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

To me, the most essential basic of either a liner or comp lock is the detent ball. If IT isn't 'perfect', then everything else goes to ****. Because if that tiny ball wears flat, somehow pops out, or isn't strong enough in the first place, the entire system becomes uncarryable/unusable. The main reason I've mostly, but not completely, moved away from buying new comp or liner locks.

Is "uncarryable" even a word?🤔

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall being big on the idea of a compression-lock Millie…BEFORE I got a Millie. Five Millies later, I have seen the error of my ways.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
Perfectly put!

Though as the only change I´d really like to see a tip up option on the linerlock Millie.
When it comes to the choil: This is another thing (the more minimal choil) I clearly prefer on the Millie over the PM2 choil. But I guess I am in the minority here.
No, you're right: the arrangement on the Millie is clearly superior. A choil that's just a suggestion is enough; you don't need your whole index finger to sink all the way in, as long as there's some jimping. On the PM2, it feels odd sometimes having the blade that far out in front of my fist if I grip without the choil.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

It’s kind of funny, I love the compression lock on the PM3 because there is no temptation to put my thumb on the comp lock as there is with me atleast on the PM2.

Not sure what is wrong with my hand on the PM2 but the way it fits my hand my thumb seeks the Complock on the PM2 like every time and I have come close to releasing the lock and hurting myself in the past due to this.

I do not like it in my Shaman either.

It is okay on my yojumbo and well liked on the smock.

I own several PM2’s my favorite steel on this model being S45VN. The design is good but I honestly prefer the Military and PM3.

Not sure if it will be an issue on a Military but suspect it might be a problem for me just like the PM2.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
Perfectly put!

No, you're right: the arrangement on the Millie is clearly superior. A choil that's just a suggestion is enough; you don't need your whole index finger to sink all the way in, as long as there's some jimping. On the PM2, it feels odd sometimes having the blade that far out in front of my fist if I grip without the choil.
This!

Same with Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2 for me: While when just holding the knives in hand (both finger in the choil or not) the "2" feels better.
But when actually comparing them in USE: The "1" with its shorter, more minimal works better not choked up, cause the hand is closer to the edge. And IF choked up the shallower choil somehow gives me more control.
Same with Millie vs PM2 (I use(d) both pretty extensively, so I am talking about real-use-experience).
But: Very subjective of course! Will depend on finger/hand size, how and in which tasks one uses knives and also just on what they came to get accustomed to.

What I don´t fully understand though: There are not too few people who state that they almost never use the choil anyway, but still want the wider one. For those folks a shorter choil should definitely the better choice, since, as said, it reduces the distance from hand to edge when not choking up.
FK

Post by FK »

Wearing out detent balls on liner lock Spyderco knives.
My solution is Gunny Glide, apply a small amount to the blade contact area once a month.

My favorite Spyderco is the Military with CQI,,, although I carry more often the Delica/Endura.

Regards,
FK