Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blueboost

Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Post by Blueboost »

Popular Rolex models are not available in Rolex stores. Theres a a 10 year wait list for the Daytona, for example. All of their watches are available through online dealers at huge mark ups, basically a gray market. Limited supply and availability, on anything good. This prevents people like you and I from owning one or using it for it's intended purpose. This creates copies and fakes. Rolex is the most faked watch in the world. Spyderco is the most faked knife in the world. It's the first section on spydercos own forum. The watches become safe queens, tucked away from the light of day. The most famous tool watch of all time is the Rolex submariner, and the only diving they see is desk diving some CEO's mahogany desk as he pushes a mouse around. The same thing can be said for a lot of Spyderco models.

When your tanto PM2 model sells for $400 on ebay, and your old lum tanto gos for 500-1k and you only release them via online stores in limited bursts, people like you and me will never see them or use them. Obviously they can be put into regular production, but they arent. **** I've waited almost 20 years for one to come back to the catalog, but somehow we get a plethora of these unusual upside down tantos and hookbills and whale toe nail clippers, etc..

This is either the best or worst business model ever. As a customer, it is beyond frustrating. As a watchmaker that wishes he owned a Rolex, I wear a Breitling or a Tudor. As a life long knife enthusiast that has carried and used spydercos for 3 decades, my last 3 purchases were a Benchmade, microtech, and CS. They make what I want readily available (the 560BK-1 is a ton of knife and design with a stout tip for $200). Spyderco is lacking a pointy, strong tip in an appealing blade shape.

At least I finally understand why I cant have it, and if I did splurge to buy it, why I couldn't use it. For what it's worth, I don't need CPM-UFO-DNA steel or panda bear leather scales... I'd take a peasant version in ats55 or vg10 and plain black g10 scales of the pm2 tanto. Those spyderco steels took fine care of me for 20 years!

Last edited by Blueboost on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Araignee

Re: Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Post by Araignee »

Being an aspiring Rolex owner, this comparison speaks a lot to me. I understand the frustration.

Though I'm not sure to which extent this parallel is pertinent - as Rolex is largely engineering the scarcity, and holds its ADs on a tight leash. I don't think Spyderco's commercial practices are nearly as bad.

Plus, most Spyderco models are readily available. The pictures taken at Rolex ADs, showing nearly empty display stands, are comical.

Finally, I see another parallel in terms of product line ups : the Byrds are the ETA-powered Tudors of the Spyderco family. Powered by a work-horse steel and offering better bang for the buck.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

You can fake the Spyderco look, but you can't fake the steel.😉
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The one difference here is all those knives started out (and are probably still in) the hands of average guys like us, the difference is those guys are OK with flipping for insane prices because they know someone is willing to pay. It would be different if dealer exclusives were marked up to those prices by the dealers themselves, but they're all sold for MAP prices at some point, can't say the same for those watches.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A few random thoughts here...

Before COVID-19 (Edited-TazKristi) screwed up the supply chains of almost every industry, most regular production Spyderco models were readily available from online dealers at 30% below MSRP and, while some are now out of stock, those that are available are still being similarly discounted.

Just because you, me, or some other individual, likes a given combination of features in a knife is no guarantee it's going to sell in large numbers.

First rule of eBay - asking prices on BIN's are no reflection of the actual value of an item. Only sold listings count and, out of those only sold listings where the actual selling price is known. "Offer accepted" sales do not count.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Also with eBay, just because someone has a listing at a certain price...doesn't mean that it's actually going to sell. I've seen plenty of knives on there at RIDICULOUS prices, and even now months later they are still on there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Ugh! Did you just compare a $5,000 Tudor Black Bay to a Byrd!? Pour salt in the wound why don't ya! I'll presume it doesn't apply to mine since it has the latest free sprung silicone balanced In house chronometer movement! :winking-tongue

Rolex and high demand spydercos.. Low supply, high demand, scarce, available only via gray market after the flippers buy them up, safe queens.

Everyone here would own a pm2 tanto with dlc blade and Jade scales at $199 if they could. Lets be honest. If Benchmade can do it, Spyderco can do it.. Better!

I officially rename the PM2 tanto, The Paramariner!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ever tried to buy a Strider? 🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:22 pm
A few random thoughts here...

Before the ***** screwed up the supply chains of almost every industry, most regular production Spyderco models were readily available from online dealers at 30% below MSRP and, while some are now out of stock, those that are available are still being similarly discounted.

Just because you, me, or some other individual, likes a given combination of features in a knife is no guarantee it's going to sell in large numbers.

First rule of eBay - asking prices on BIN's are no reflection of the actual value of an item. Only sold listings count and, out of those only sold listings where the actual selling price is known. "Offer accepted" sales do not count.
Right, but there are no regular production runs on arguably the best knife Spyderco ever invented. The pm2 is one of the best knives ever made. The only could-be complaint is the fragile tip. A tanto version is genius. They trade all of the time for more than they were sold on bladeHQ for, which was already too expensive compared to a normal pm2 price.

There's a push button solution here. They've already made it. Regular production in whatever steel priced around the same as a pm2 = a best seller. The Paramariner is a button push away... I need you on board with this Paul! :winking-tongue
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I wouldn't necessarily compare mine to a Rolex... 😂

On a more serious note, this has been discussed months ago, couldn't dig up the thread, it's been a dead horse already.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i understand your sentiment, but i'm not really a fan of the pm2 and think the tanto version is quite hideous, personally, so calling it the best spyderco has ever made is clearly very subjective. in the end, they are going to make what sells. there's probably a market for tanto pm2s, but it's probably not much larger than an exclusive run provides.

but maybe i'm just jaded to see talk of more pm2 exclusives when i've been waiting for a regular production manix to be in stock for over a year.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I would very much like for BHQ to redrop the S30V blackout tanto PM2. I have an aspiring 12 year old mall ninja that's been nagging me for one since they dropped last year, but I only have spares of the M4 version, and he isn't quite ready for tool steel maintenance.

I think you may be overestimating the amazingness of the tanto PM2. I have almost 30 PM2s, in every blade shape and most available steels. The tanto blade is easily running in fourth place for me, behind all of the other PM2 shapes. The original blade is still the most useful by far, followed by the Wharnie. The tanto blade also has the most amount of visible grind asymmetries, and just isn't as nicely done as the other blade shapes. I certainly don't consider it a contender for "best Spyderco ever", especially when it's not even a contender for "best PM2 ever".

For the record, the best folding knife ever made, inclusive of all other brands and models throughout the sum of human history, is the Rex 45 Native Chief. I suggest you get one while they're still available on the secondary market.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

The pm2 is a huge seller. I own and love many. I love the fine tip but a stronger tip would be a welcome addition to the line. A drop point Spyderco basically becomes a leaf point blade due to the Spyder hole issue.

Let's forget the "mall ninja tanto" shape. It's ridiculous and I'm not asking for that. It's overdone, drop point tantos are disgusting. My goal is to suggest a design of what should be a pretty standard blade shape and pocket knife consumer request. A horizontal spine leading to a stout tip should not be such a reach to find. Perhaps it is a problem for Spyderco due to IPR (intelectual property) of the Bob Lum C46? I agree the lines of the pm2 tanto need cleaning, starting with the indents on the spine. Why weaken the knife?

Maybe I'm of a bygone era. I just want a stout tipped blade in a proven platform. I do not like down turned spines and down turned tips which is what we are getting. With the C46 Spyderco was the only company to put a REAL tanto grind into a production folder. It was an anomaly and highly sought after now even if not a seller at market. But if you look at what it does, It's not mall ninja, **** it's not so far off from the best selling Ontario rat or many others I can name with a straight spined drop point. Look at the heritage japanese blade designs (ie. katana) it is essentially a straight spine drop point with no drop, or opposite drop (a result of forging and not necessary here, point still remains). The hard angled mall ninja tanto with extra dazzle is not the goal. The pm2 tanto is a start. The problem is Spyderco cannot do a straight spine drop tip with spyderhole without a knife as round as a pancake, ie the manix. Perhaps I am asking for the wrong thing, the idea remains the same. Why are we so scared to reinforce the tip?

Original C46 angles were perfect. Even the eventual sprint runs did not follow these angles or have an Appleseed grind or tip strength. Down turning the spine rather than upturning the blade for strength is backwards thinking to conform to a form factor.

This is the original C46. It should be a blueprint for how to create a (no) drop point folder that isn't shaped like a pancake. Is it ugly and unwanted?

I've been into and carried Spyderco for 30 yrs. I can sketch a blade that shows what I mean but a side by side next to one of the most collectable spydercos and best selling Benchmades lends way to what I believe is a knife that could be the ultimate Spyderco. I am tired of reprofiling tips or down turned spines. The spyderhole is not an obstruction to the design, the design just needs validity.

This is the way.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Or.. are they the memory chip of blue whales? Or the aurora borealis of sovereign debt? Or maybe the running shoe of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring?

It's a tool. A good tool. But just a tool. And, quite a simple tool in concept and construction. Nothing in common with high end watches. Not even position in their relative markets.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I don't agree with this sentiment, but I see where it's coming from.

First, most spydercos are sold by distributors at less than MRP, and the production ones are often available modulo supply chain issues of recent. The sprints/exclusives are in short supply, but the difference between them and their siblings is often cosmetic. Sometimes it's a functional difference like blade steel, but even then the argument could be made that no one _needs_ the super-est of super steels, and it's again an aesthetic change. But I'm not walking around without a knife because of this. Sure I'd rather have an M390 Smock over the S30V, but at least I'm still able to buy the S30V.

And often these "rare" exclusives/sprints are available used on forums like r/Knife_Swap at cost. Users on ebay gouge but that seems more like opportunistic individuals, not grey market dealers who swoop up 500 exclusives and then sell them at a huge mark up. I've gotten plenty of rare ones by being patient on reddit.

Rolex would fit this model more closely if, say, Submariners were readily available but their Hulks were in short supply. Or perhaps the same with the GMT master with the batman version in short supply, etc. But Rolex has scarcity on every single steel watch, and even many/most precious metal watches nowadays. And I wouldn't fault Rolex if they invented scarcity on certain variants. But the fact that I can't buy _anything_ is ridiculous, and the way ADs are literally feeding the Grey Market dealers and requiring "other purchases" is downright unethical if not actually criminal.

Spyderco would fit this model more closely if KnifeJoy made me buy a couple Gerbers to "qualify" for the PM2 I wanted. But that's not at all what's happening.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Blueboost wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:03 pm
Everyone here would own a pm2 tanto with dlc blade and Jade scales at $199 if they could
Why would you make that assumption? I have no interest in owning a tanto PM2

Question...did you actually try to buy one of these exclusives when they dropped? Sounds to me like you're just ticked because you didn't get one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m not a watch guy, I wear one, I even spent over $100.00 on parts to refurbish my favorite Casio a while back, but I wear an Apple Watch now and love it. I do understand the frustration with how damnably difficult it can be to acquire a knife that isn’t S30 V and black G10. I just want Spyderco to make knives that aren’t that, and available through regular retail channels (not Amazon). I totally get the business model for the dealers and exclusives but a regular PM 2 with a tanto blade ought to be available at retail by now. I bought a Smock in the regular configuration a while back and I’m prepared to wait for a different version but the Tanto PM 2 hasn’t ever been made a regular production run. I think that’s a shame. I fully understand that Spyderco can’t meet all the requests they get but this one seems reasonable.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Spook410 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 pm
Or.. are they the memory chip of blue whales? Or the aurora borealis of sovereign debt? Or maybe the running shoe of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring?

It's a tool. A good tool. But just a tool. And, quite a simple tool in concept and construction. Nothing in common with high end watches. Not even position in their relative markets.
Precious metal variations, and precious stones command little to no demand. Go ask an AD for a gold or platinum Rolex, you should soon find one available. Requesting a steel Rolex = LOL and prices of SS are creeping if not overtaking precious metal. Steel models are much more sought-after.

A good tool needs to be available, and used. When a steel tool becomes limited, unobtainable, and too expensive to use for the job it was designed for, you end up here. And Rolex is a perfect example. That's where we as consumers are aiming this brand. I have no doubt some replies will be biased by the size of your safe, discretionary funds, and access to bladeHQ releases.

Downswept buckwheat jabooki Wharncliffe is green lit for production over 1000+ years of tried and true profiles.

This is Spyderco artisan knife making circa 1996. I'd just like to see it again. But please, argue against it for the vombobju leaf blower no tip design we all just have to have in 2021.

Keep calling this a mall ninja shitter and wonder why it's not front page catalog like they are in every other brand that does it wrong. Then we use the sales of those poor designs to justify what? Not doing it properly and selling units?

It's one or the other. And I know for a fact when I look at this which one it is. Hey, I've got a numbered C46... No worries. I'll continue to tuck it away. But it would be nice to have one I can use.

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sheesh that went waaay off the path of shiny footprints real quick...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Blueboost wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:44 pm
...Hey, I've got a numbered C46... No worries. I'll continue to tuck it away. But it would be nice to have one I can use.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/gvuuR2o.jpg[/img
[img]https://i.imgur.com/XM0TAl7.jpg[/img
That is a nice looking blade, all right. Why don't you just bite the bullet and use it? As strong as that blade looks, I doubt you'd come close to damaging it, and I think you'd get a lot more enjoyment out of it if you would use it as you want to, rather than "tuck it away"!
If you are worried about wearing it out, start saving now for a replacement and I bet by the time you need one, you will have plenty saved up to pay the secondary prices.

As for the BladeHQ tanto, I'm pretty sure they plan to continue commissioning them. You'll get a chance eventually.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"