Spyderco River Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a new Spyderco river knife?

YES! Where has this been all my life?
11%
NO! The current 420 market offerings are perfect, who needs an awesome performance river knife.
7%
MAYBE. Convince me why I should care.
14%
H1
13%
LC200N
20%
MagnaCut
5%
Other - propose in comments
3%
Serrated edge
20%
Plain edge
4%
Combo edge or double bevel
4%

Total votes: 76

Woodpuppy

Spyderco River Knife?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hi all, with a renewed interest in paddling and having swamped my canoe a couple times since restarting, I’m interested in a small fixed blade sheath knife to use on my PFD. First time I swamped I had my Z-wear Shaman in my pocket, iPhone, .380, wallet, and my key fob too 🤦🏻‍♂️ I sure am glad I didn’t lose or destroy anything! But it reminded me to use my dry bag and little pelican case.

Looking at the available “river knives” out there has so far been… disappointing. Nothing I’ve seen looks more useful than my SE Salt 2, which I’ve been carrying since that first dunking.

So for the brain trust here, what would you like to see in a new purpose-designed Spyderco river knife? Would you want a small fixed blade or a folder, and would you wear it on your PFD or keep in inside a pocket somewhere?

Hawkbill?
Blunt tip?
Sheep’s foot / modified wharnie?
Definitely H1 or LC200N, although maybe everything should be MagnaCut 😍
Skeletonized handle, or G10 or FRN scales?

Or would you be happy with something like the ARK or Swick?

On my little poll, please indicate your interest Y/N/M, one steel you want, and the edge treatment. Discuss!
Chopping Broccoli

Re: Spyderco River Knife?

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

The yellow handled serrated edge Pacific Salt is all I need for a river knife. Hard to beat this one.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Did you check out the Fish Hunter?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

se sheepsfoot caribbean.

if i was worried about losing it, i might opt for a se atlantic salt. personally, i prefer the pacific salt, but if you need to use it for emergencies and don't need a tip, the atlantic salt is safer. there's also the assist, which would be even safer and give you a more hand-filling grip.

the new enuff that's coming out with a longer and thinner blade might be a good choice too, if you're looking for a fixed blade. unfortunately, that one hasn't even made it to a reveal yet, so there's no telling how long down the road it might be.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Serrated Swick.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:59 am
se sheepsfoot caribbean.

I would second that recommendation, I think that would make a very logical choice for a canoeing knife.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Why not use an enuff salt?

Also the more than enuff will be a salt when it comes out.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Seems like the Enuff Salt is made for this.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Enuff said.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I believe Sal said he was working on a larger version of the Enuff. I am hoping for a bit thinner stock as well. Sounds like a winner. Hopefully LC200N.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:21 am
I believe Sal said he was working on a larger version of the Enuff. I am hoping for a bit thinner stock as well. Sounds like a winner. Hopefully LC200N.
So far the model announced is H1.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This might be obvious to some, but I'm not sure if the actual tasks of a river knife is implied by the name / category?

When I go canoeing, it's typically on a mix of small rivers and lakes, and knife tasks along the way is anything from food prep, camp prep, fishing etc.

I find that a folding salt knife is most practical and safe to use while in the canoe, i.e. the knife I attach to my PFD, while once on shore I will typically use my Waterway for more demanding camp tasks.

Exactly which of my Salt folding knives I bring with me varies a bit, but if I were to only have one, I would probably go with the Salt 2 FFG.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Any excuse for another knife in H1 is cool with me!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:48 am
Did you check out the Fish Hunter?
I think it’s too big, especially to be on a PFD. But I’m only going on specs and pics, I’ve never seen one in person.

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:23 am
This might be obvious to some, but I'm not sure if the actual tasks of a river knife is implied by the name / category?

When I go canoeing, it's typically on a mix of small rivers and lakes, and knife tasks along the way is anything from food prep, camp prep, fishing etc.

I find that a folding salt knife is most practical and safe to use while in the canoe, i.e. the knife I attach to my PFD, while once on shore I will typically use my Waterway for more demanding camp tasks.

Exactly which of my Salt folding knives I bring with me varies a bit, but if I were to only have one, I would probably go with the Salt 2 FFG.
The camp/kitchen/utility knife is packed away in this case, and quite honestly will be a Mora. If I were fishing I’d have a fillet knife along. I’m after that thing you’d have on your person to deal with tangling with trot lines, trash fishing line, and other unexpected (but planned for) things that present hazard.
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

I am a swiftwater rescue instructor and mandate in my classes that each student have a fixed blade attached to their PFD somewhere with a lanyard from the knife to a secondary attachment point.

When I am doing whitewater paddling seminars and classes, I make the same recommendation. Many in the paddling community don't understand the proper use of throw bags and rope use around water and some have a tendency to "clip" the end of a throw bag or rope to their PFD with a carabiner when being rescued or doing the rescue. It can turn a patient or a rescuer into a deep-diving crankbait. I tell my students - "Don't be the crankbait!".

The knife is there for immediate access not only for self-rescue and/or extrication from an unknown hazard such as line in the water, but also for cutting a rescue line if needed.

A secondary folder for more measured and precise cuts needed on a float trip can be accomplished with a "salt" folder of some type, preferably one with an SE.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm not opposed to the idea but I have some questions. What exactly does a "purpose designed river knife" entail? What kind of advantages would a "river knife" offer over existing Salt models? I would imagine most models from Spyderco's Salt series could be sufficient as a river knife.

I kayak often and almost always have the Salt 1 with me. Usually I'm fishing and I have yet to need anything more. If I wanted a fixed blade, I would look at the ARK, Swick, or an Enuff Salt.

I've considered buying a Snap-It Salt for clipping on to my PFD, just haven't pulled the trigger yet because the Salt 1 has worked so well for me.
-Nick :bug-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

BangBang77 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am

"Don't be the crankbait!".

I know this is very serious business, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud at this. :rofl
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

A purpose driven river knife typically has a serrated or partially serrated edge, blunted tip, and is housed in a sheath that has multiple options for attachment methods. Very similar to a dive knife.

No advantage over a Salt knife in cutting performance whatsoever. The greatest advantage is easy access and rapid deployment for immediate use in an emergency situation. In a water rescue scenario, whether a professional rescuer or a whitewater paddler, things can move very quickly, especially in a live-bait rescue or a rapidly rising flood event.

Introducing ropes into a situation with moving water is adding fuel to a fire. Being able cut someone else or yourself loose from a rope quickly is paramount. Draw and cut will be faster for the average person than draw, flick/open, and cut. Especially if you're wearing a wetsuit/drysuit and water gloves.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Isn't the Enuff Salt Sheepsfoot perfect for this already?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB31YL/824
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:05 pm
BangBang77 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am

"Don't be the crankbait!".

I know this is very serious business, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud at this. :rofl
Humorous delivery can be key to breaking the ice with a bunch of LEOs and firefighters.😀