Cruwear DF2 CF Additional screw added?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Cruwear DF2 CF Additional screw added?

Post by PStone »

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I couldn’t turn anything up on google except replacement screws. I was going for a scale swap this weekend between the CF Cruwear and the g10 dragonfly when I discovered a 4th screw in the handle construction of the newer CF DF2.

So my question(s): Is this CQI? Does anybody have a g10 version with this 4th screw? I searched past releases the best could with google image search and spydiewiki but no luck. I’m also curious if it’s something to do with the carbon instead of CQI. Any thoughts Spyderville?
Enactive

Re: Cruwear DF2 CF Additional screw added?

Post by Enactive »

Curious.

I wonder if they couldn't reliably press fit the lanyard tube into the CF without damaging it and instead overbored and added a screw for compressive force on the scales.

Just a wild-*** guess. I'm curious tho.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

PStone wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:08 pm
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I couldn’t turn anything up on google except replacement screws. I was going for a scale swap this weekend between the CF Cruwear and the g10 dragonfly when I discovered a 4th screw in the handle construction of the newer CF DF2.

So my question(s): Is this CQI? Does anybody have a g10 version with this 4th screw? I searched past releases the best could with google image search and spydiewiki but no luck. I’m also curious if it’s something to do with the carbon instead of CQI. Any thoughts Spyderville?
They do something similar with the G-10 Cat.
Attachments
Spyderco-Cat-G10-satin-C129GP-BHQ-9118-er-spine-large.jpg
PStone

Post by PStone »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 pm
Curious.

I wonder if they couldn't reliably press fit the lanyard tube into the CF without damaging it and instead overbored and added a screw for compressive force on the scales.

Just a wild-*** guess. I'm curious tho.
This makes sense, and my thinking too. My g10 is from 2018 and I thought maybe a newer run might have changed. They do press fit into CF at the Golden factory. Fluted Native and Manix come to mind. But I can’t think of a Seki model that does.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:22 pm
PStone wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:08 pm

They do something similar with the G-10 Cat.
This maybe lends credence to the press fitting reliably into CF theory Enactive suggests. Because I don’t think the Cat tube is pressed either.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

PStone wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:40 pm

This maybe lends credence to the press fitting reliably into CF theory Enactive suggests. Because I don’t think the Cat tube is pressed either.
I think your right I don't remember fighting with the lanyard tube to get it apart last time I cleaned it.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's probably needed to stop delamination.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

My cf cruwear df2 has the same screw.

That knife is my most disappointing and regret inducing purchase of a Spyderco knife. I even sent it back under warranty but only half the issues were resolved. It’s like the warranty department selectively overlooked the issue present because it might be difficult to fix.

If there was ever a $180 regret, it is that knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How odd. The Nishijin fiber knives don't have that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PStone

Post by PStone »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:13 pm
My cf cruwear df2 has the same screw.

That knife is my most disappointing and regret inducing purchase of a Spyderco knife. I even sent it back under warranty but only half the issues were resolved. It’s like the warranty department selectively overlooked the issue present because it might be difficult to fix.

If there was ever a $180 regret, it is that knife.
I was disappointed too. I even sent mine in too. They sent it back. No work done. It’s ok though. I’ve given it some use and pocket time and it’s grown on me. I’d definitely buy it again. No regrets.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 pm
How odd. The Nishijin fiber knives don't have that.
That was the first previous version I checked out. I thought for sure if another was the same it was that one.
PStone

Post by PStone »

dj moonbat wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:00 pm
It's probably needed to stop delamination.
I’m thinking the same and it’s nothing to do with backspacer integrity. So I should be able to just put scales on without drilling a new hole.