Modifications

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Modifications

Post by kobold »

A thread for all the cool mods of your own, by others, or just to kick some ideas out there

I saw this today and now I wish I have a front flipper in my collection. A Spydiechef:

It is interesting how there are way more flippers available than front flippers, when the protruding tab is often seen as a negative.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Sharp Guy

Re: Modifications

Post by Sharp Guy »

kobold wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:43 am
It is interesting how there are way more flippers available than front flippers, when the protruding tab is often seen as a negative.
I only have one front flipper. So I'm not exactly an authority but I think I'd rather have a flipper tab even if it protrudes like the ones on the Sliverax or Advocate. The front flipper I have works well but it's not as positive to use as a flipper with a tab. It flips great but if I don't do it just right it misfires. I rarely have that issue with a flipper tab. Plus I don't mind the tabs themselves. I was actually looking at the Advocate and Sliverax last night. The way the clips are mounted and the way the knives sit in you pocket the tabs don't get in the way. So non-issue for me

I've been thinking about getting one of my Titanium knives custom anodized. I can never decide on which one to do
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The protruding tab is a built in natural forward finger guard. It can work very well so long as other parts of the design work with it.

Im not really a flipper fan of any type. I dont find front flippers to be very natural in use.

I would really like to try an ikuchi however. A back top flipper, lighter flipper? I dont know...

Also, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but, that Chef looks ruined to me.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think there used to be a huge "show your mods" thread but it sort of turned into a Boomer scale showcase.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:30 am
I think there used to be a huge "show your mods" thread but it sort of turned into a Boomer scale showcase.
:squinting-tongue He really should have had his own thread.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

The Smock is an awesome front flipper. I hope it gets the FFG treatment and S45VN or MagnaCut. That knife also has the button comp lock, awesome knife.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Acid Etched and Stonewashed my Mantra 3 this past Saturday night.
6_sm.jpg
Attachments
1_sm.jpg
2_sm.jpg
4_sm.jpg
kobold

Post by kobold »

Hi Sparty, looks good! Something weird happened to that Spyderco logo during the etch. O.o
What is your stonewash method? Pebbles in a can or something more advanced?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:55 am
Hi Sparty, looks good! Something weird happened to that Spyderco logo during the etch. O.o
What is your stonewash method? Pebbles in a can or something more advanced?
Hi Kobold, thanks!

The stonewash wasnt the best, but it worked. I used a medium sized round thermos cooler, with rocks from my yard, and hand shook/rolled it for a few minutes, checked, shook for more, checked, until it was looking good.

Next time, I hope to have some smaller particulate, gravel or something like that, would give it even a better look.

I'm guessing that the Spyderco logo was also etched in, so my etching may have changed how it looks.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

I should have remembered that thread. My brain is like a sieve.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Too late.
Here's my Maxamet PM2:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Turned out ugly as ****, but it sure works well:

https://streamable.com/1yyjzw

My handheld dremel cutting wheels barely did anything, so I basically did the entire project with nothing but a 1" belt sander.

Next I'm gonna thin the edge out a bit, and maybe swap it into some green scales from my LC200N PE Pacific, then I plan to EDC it.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:00 pm
I should have remembered that thread. My brain is like a sieve.
Happens to all of us! Pretty hard to remember every thread haha. I hate when I know there's a thread but forget the title and can't find it in the search.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

The simplest of mods. After losing my first Dragonfly I immediately installed a Chaparral pocket clip on the replacement.
It is bigger so the contact area moved from the flat to the textured surface, providing more needed friction. The original clip is on the blade for comparison.

And added a piece of microcord lanyard for good measure.