Brittle clips on Salt models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jsholli

Brittle clips on Salt models?

Post by jsholli »

I recently snagged a machine with my native at work & bent the clip... No big deal right? Just bend it back like you always do, right? Nope -- it snapped!

After emailing a CSR, I was surprised & disappointed to read that they were "sorry that I was having trouble" but only said to buy another clip kit...

Has anyone else experienced uncharacteristic clip failure with their salt versions? Where mine actually broke, it looks like cast steel (rough like how aluminum appears in a break, but the clip is still magnetic)...

Also, when did customer service stop standing behind clips? I've bent a half dozen 'normal' clips back into the proper position with no issues... But, this one failed spectacularly; and, my CSR didn't even acknowledge the failure - Needless to say, I'm disappointed with their stance on this issue
vivi

Re: Brittle clips on Salt models?

Post by vivi »

Haven't had that issue despite carrying salts over a decade, but they do feel a little easier to flex.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I haven't severely bent, or broke one yet, but if it happens, I wouldn't expect a free replacement.
phaust

Post by phaust »

That's interesting it snapped. I do think maybe it's better the clip snaps than something happens to the inset nuts or frn. I wonder if it's intentional engineering. There are times when you'll intentionally take damage one place in a design to reduce or prevent it elsewhere (when car bumpers were made to take damage, they were designed like that)

I have a Dfly salt and the barrel style ones and haven't had the problem. I don't think I've caught any of them very hard, however.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I just ordered a few clips today to replace some missing ones. Never had an issue with the Salt clips, but I have bent a number of stainless Endela/Endura/Delica ones when they catch on things.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

jsholli wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:30 pm
I recently snagged a machine with my native at work & bent the clip... No big deal right? Just bend it back like you always do, right? Nope -- it snapped!

After emailing a CSR, I was surprised & disappointed to read that they were "sorry that I was having trouble" but only said to buy another clip kit...

Has anyone else experienced uncharacteristic clip failure with their salt versions? Where mine actually broke, it looks like cast steel (rough like how aluminum appears in a break, but the clip is still magnetic)...

Also, when did customer service stop standing behind clips? I've bent a half dozen 'normal' clips back into the proper position with no issues... But, this one failed spectacularly; and, my CSR didn't even acknowledge the failure - Needless to say, I'm disappointed with their stance on this issue
Yes, it happened to me. I snagged the clip on my Caribbean and it fractured the clip. A kind forumite said he’d sent me a replacement titanium clip, but it never showed up. I replaced the broken clip with a stainless spoon clip that I had stripped the paint from and it works great. I think the stainless clips are stronger and less brittle than their same-size titanium counterparts. The titanium is more resistant to corrosion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

No problems with my (just two so far...) Salt models: Pac Salt 1, Salt 2 ffg.
But perhaps there are differences between Seki-, Golden- and Taichung- Salt clips??
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The only clip I broke was on a non-salt model.

I think its just random. I also think the shape of the clip has a lot more to do with it than the clip being titanium vs steel.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty sure these clips are titanium, at least newer Salt models are?

I've bent a few and when you try to bend them back they do snap sometimes depending on how car they initially bent.

Also consider, a clip by design should be weak enough to bend and or break, opposed to ripping out the screw threads or damaging the knife itself. A clip is much easier and cheaper to fix or replace.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve bent my Caribbean clip to the point of uselessness, mostly because it’s my work companion. But I’ve never broken a clip on any knife.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I broke an aftermarket titanium clip while trying to make an adjustment. I also twisted a wire clip after a dog leash got caught under it. It's part of the reason I no longer carry clipped to my pocket.

If you work in an area where snags are frequent, you might want to try carrying in the waistband, back pocket, or just dropped into the pocket.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This reminded me, a couple months ago my son snagged the clip on his Native 5 on a table at work and snapped the clip clean off leaving only the mounting pad left screwed to the handle. What's amazing to me is how this stuff happens without just yanking the knife out of your pocket instead of breaking the clip off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

These things happen. I don’t think it justifies a warranty replacement or the disappointment with your experience. But that’s just me.

To me it is akin to dropping your knife, dinging your scales or blade, and asking for a replacement.
Peter
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Titanium work hardens easily. It doesn’t like being bent back and forth.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Aren't only the Seki made Salts that are titanium?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

tonijedi wrote:Aren't only the Seki made Salts that are titanium?
I thought the caribbeans clip was also titanium.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:57 pm
tonijedi wrote:Aren't only the Seki made Salts that are titanium?
I thought the caribbeans clip was also titanium.
You are right. The description on Spyderco's website reads: "while a reversible titanium hourglass clip offers convenient left or right-side tip-up carry."
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

AFAIK all salt clips are titanium and titanium don't like to be bending back and forth too much. Just like Darby said. If your bent it 90 deg. in both ways more than once, it used to break😥 Personaly, I like Spyderco titanium hourglass clips. They have the "right " spring feel to me. Not too tight, not too weak. Easy in and out of pocket. Don't wiggle side to side, like wire clips do.
jsholli

Post by jsholli »

Thanks for the comments and links everyone. My Ti replacement is in the mail, but I still am bummed since it broke so easily after doing the same thing (reshaping the clip) with so many other models in the past...