Chaparral Sun and Moon scratches on handle from new question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Chaparral Sun and Moon scratches on handle from new question

Post by Stas »

Hello everyone,

my first post here, but I'm a Spyderco fan from Europe.

I just purchased a brand new Chaparral Sun Moon locally and when unpacked, noticed a scratch on the handle going through the half of mother of pearl insert and continue to G10. It is not too deep, but on the mother of pearl it is easy enough to notice with naked eye. I really like the overall look of the knife, but have to admit this bother me a bit, as I didn't plan to put a heavy use o this one and usually very careful with my EDC items. There are few more small scratches on G10, but nothing bothering like the one on the "moon" insert.

I want to ask if this is normal based on usual Spyderco QC, or should be considered a defect? Other knives I have doesn't have a G10 scales, so I can't compare and don't know how prone to scratches they are.
Chaparral Sun Moon is sold out here and there is no option to exchange with another example. Sending it to US to 'get fixed' under warranty is also not an option. Have to decide, to accept it or return.

Appreciate any reply / suggestion.

Thanks,
Stas
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
cabfrank

Re: Chaparral Sun and Moon scratches on handle from new question

Post by cabfrank »

Scratches on the handles of new knives definitely is not normal. I wonder if you got a previously returned knife. Can you post a picture?
Stas

Post by Stas »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:17 pm
Scratches on the handles of new knives definitely is not normal. I wonder if you got a previously returned knife. Can you post a picture?
Hard to capture under the light I have now, but it is there. Once you see, you can't unsee it. And I saw it at the very beginning...
IMG_2915.jpg
IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2906.jpg
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Return it and see if you can ask the dealer to check for scratches on the next one
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

I doubt a scratched handle would be covered by any warranty.
To keep it or return is a decision only you can make. How much do you like/want it, can you live with the scratches, are answers only you can give.
I hope you find happiness with whatever you decide.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

If you really want to keep it maybe the scratch could be polished out?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Good pictures. I think Spydergirl's suggestion is good. If that isn't possible, Josh has a good idea too. Honestly though, I get that it bothers you, it might me also, but it is very minor.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank you for the replies and insight! It is minor and this is why it is hard for me to decide. The knife is lovely and mechanically perfect. Thanks to you I see it is not something to expect as a norm on G10 and I'll try to source another example. Hope it is still possible. I see them sold out and not sure how limited production it was.

ps The first thing crossed my mind was to polish it, or even, to carry as much as I can, so it will get polished from the pocket :) But hey, if I just got unlucky with this particular example, it worth to try my luck at least once again :)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

looks minor but its not my knife. I like my new knives to be new. If all else is well, lock up, centering, lock tension, you may want to keep it.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Hard to say. The main sales point of this particular version was the appearance of the scales. If that is why you bought this particular version, then I can see why you would be annoyed.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I bought one of these knives, my second Chaparral. The other is Raffir Noble. Because they are Spydies the knife part is great, but these two were purchased for their looks. I carry and will use them but I value their appearance more than most of my collection.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Stas

Post by Stas »

kodai78 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:25 pm
I bought one of these knives, my second Chaparral. The other is Raffir Noble. Because they are Spydies the knife part is great, but these two were purchased for their looks. I carry and will use them but I value their appearance more than most of my collection.
Your example is without any issues?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks pretty minor, but it is your knife so only you can decide if it is acceptable.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would speak to the store you purchased it from and seek an exchange.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Pearl is pretty soft material. If you carry it in a pocket with other things, or you use it with dirty hands, you can expect scratches. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it might help you decide whether to return it or keep it.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Flitz is safe for just about any material, I would think it might fix or reduce the problem, does anyone have experience with Flitz polish and Pearl?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Minor imperfections in pearl are not uncommon but if, as you noted, the scratch extends onto the G-10, then it obviously happened after the handle was assembled. Since exchange is not an option, if it bothers you, return it. If you really want one, you might consider ordering from a US source once you get your refund. Or, given that it's a regular production knife rather than a Sprint or other limited run, you could just wait and see if any sources wherever you live get more of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Stas:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Welcom Stas!

If it were me.. I'd put that beautiful knife in my pocket and go about my days using it for knife things, allowing that tiny little scratch to blend in with all the other tiny little scratches that will assuredly be added as the years go by. You know, wabi-sabi and all.. beauty in imperfection. :thinking

But... it's not my knife haha. So the call is yours. I don't think it's going to qualify for replacement under warranty based on that scratch alone, so your best bet is probably going to be an exchange/return. If the knife is is great condition otherwise, I'd keep it.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank you very much for suggestions and warm welcome!
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 am
You know, wabi-sabi and all.. beauty in imperfection. :thinking
I love wabi if this is a vintage knife (or other object), or if it started from ‘scratch’ by me. But this is brand new and already ‘pre patinated’. With my way of using knives I’m impatient to wait next 20 years to fade this scratch :)

As few of you said (and I agree), it is indeed very personal. It helped me to understand: I don’t put knife with another sharp things in my pocket, so it makes sense to replace with a spotless one. Already agreed with the seller and he ordered another one from US….now have to wait a few weeks when it arrives.. ****! :)