Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwstubbz

Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Post by Rwstubbz »

Skip to the bottom if you want to skip the backstory.

History--- I bought a lightweight para 3 in spy 27 hoping to test the steel and put it through the paces as a daily user. I don't know whether I should say where I purchased it from, but they are a very popular, reputable dealer. When it arrived, I loved it. Sharpened it a bit, stropped it, and then realized that there was something wrong. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that the pivot wasn't right. The pivot screw wasn't in all the way so I tried to tighten it down and it wouldn't budge either way. I contacted the seller and they told me to contact Spyderco to warranty it. I sent it in and was told that it would not have passed the quality control if it had been shipped out like that (extremely frustrating. At that point it hadn't even cut anything.). I was offered a discount on another product through the factory store (I seriously thought about the paramilitary 2 Colorado edition with the flag blade. Also in spy 27 but couldn't afford it after my recent purchase.) and they would keep it or they would send it back as it is and I should not use it. I really wanted to check out the new steel and figured it should work well enough. Unfortunately, the detent doesn't work properly so I can't carry it because it opens in my pocket and I've already had a couple of bloody legs and cut pockets from trying. I have tested the steel and actually like it. It strops back easily and has decent edge retention not to mention it's Spyderco's proprietary steel and I love all of my Spyderco's. Even with this experience, Spyderco is my brand. My grandfather used to sell them out of his antique shop in Grand Junction, CO. I have a long history of cut fingers and life lessons from my old "worker" and hours of sharpening serrations on my "snap it" so you will almost always find at least one Spyderco on me at all times. My dilemma is that I now have edc knife that I can't carry. It's basically a box and letter opener now.

My question--- is there a way to buy new scales and use the lightweight blade? I know that the compression lock is different in my g-10 models as opposed to the small insert into the gfn in my lightweight model. The g-10 models have the lock bar as part of the whole liner. The lightweight is just the lock portion held in by plastic and one screw.
If the blade is exactly the same, is there a way to purchase just the liners with the lock? I've looked around and have found scales, but not liners. I prefer a more rugged edc anyway (I have the lightweight models in my bugout bags and backpacking/hiking bags) so I would buy some titanium aftermarket scales and use the blade from this to make a good edc.
Please help I would love to make this work. I don't want to just think this is a relatively expensive letter opener.
Thanks in advance!!! Peace, love and Don't Look Down!
Ric

Re: Is my never used SPY27 lightweight para 3 a goner?

Post by Ric »

Sorry for the issues.
The blade of the lightweight and G10 should be interchangeable.
But there is no guarantee.

You can try to find a used one or wait for the seconds sale.

You should be able to find some discounts as well. All black versions but silver liner lock.

The Para 3 lightweight is not so expensive.
I would buy a new one and call it a day.

You could screw and glue the knife also to a fixed blade.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Why didn't you use the offered discount to buy another Para 3 LW from the SFO? Where they out of stock?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is why I do not buy knives that depend on a detent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

If it’s helpful in any future situations, I’d have gone back to the retailer armed with spyderco’s response and pushed HARD for a refund or exchange.

If you want to buy a p3lw in m4 or rex 45, I’d consider buying the blade from you.

I also have an extra s90v p3lw (long, dumb story), I was going to return or sell it but I’d consider asking you the scales and lock and keeping the blade.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sounds like whoever you bought it from sold you a faulty knife. Spyderco even said it wouldnt pass their qc.

You need to get your money back. Unfortunately, if that doesnt happen, then I think you might just be out of luck.

I would probably just get a new knife and if I couldnt return the faulty one then maybe save it for a project for later if you have no other options.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Matus

Post by Matus »

Put the knife is a hot water for a minute or two - the loctite may loosen up a bit and you should be able to tighten the screw.

What I don't quite understand is why the Spyderco did not replace or simply fix the knife ...

Or is it the scale that is faulty?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:14 pm
Why didn't you use the offered discount to buy another Para 3 LW from the SFO? Where they out of stock?
Yes they were out of stock. Also I wanted to see how bad it would be. Like I said, I thought it might not be that bad. I found I was wrong after carrying it.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:27 pm
If it’s helpful in any future situations, I’d have gone back to the retailer armed with spyderco’s response and pushed HARD for a refund or exchange.

If you want to buy a p3lw in m4 or rex 45, I’d consider buying the blade from you.

I also have an extra s90v p3lw (long, dumb story), I was going to return or sell it but I’d consider asking you the scales and lock and keeping the blade.
I would consider this. I love s90v. I like to tinker so I'm honestly looking for an answer to the question so I can make a nice knife of my own. I would still consider buying the s90v from you. I love my manix in s90 it has extremely good edge retention and super sliced. How would we arrange a purchase?
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:26 pm
Sounds like whoever you bought it from sold you a faulty knife. Spyderco even said it wouldnt pass their qc.

You need to get your money back. Unfortunately, if that doesnt happen, then I think you might just be out of luck.

I would probably just get a new knife and if I couldnt return the faulty one then maybe save it for a project for later if you have no other options.
I agree I kinda want to call out the place I bought it from but not sure that would be allowed or the right thing to do. I guess I thought the same thing and the titanium handles would be my version of saving it for a later project. I think a titanium para3 in spy 27 would be a good carry. I can get the scales, just not the liner I need. Also haven't been able to remove the pivot screw and don't want to ruin it until I at least ask the pros here and see if I can get an answer. Thanks for the feedback.
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 pm
Put the knife is a hot water for a minute or two - the loctite may loosen up a bit and you should be able to tighten the screw.

What I don't quite understand is why the Spyderco did not replace or simply fix the knife ...

Or is it the scale that is faulty?
I tried several things, but not water. I don't want to strip the screw or ruin anything until I know whether I will be able to use the blade elsewhere.

I think Spyderco probably thought that either I did it or that the seller did it. I sent copies of the receipt with my request so they knew where I got it from. It is a big store and I've bought tons of knives from them.
Good thought on the scale being faulty, but I'm not certain.
Thanks for the two new ideas. I'll check the scales a bit better if I can and try the water idea.
Thanks again,
Robert
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
This is why I do not buy knives that depend on a detent.
Well played
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Ric wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:07 pm
Sorry for the issues.
The blade of the lightweight and G10 should be interchangeable.
But there is no guarantee.

You can try to find a used one or wait for the seconds sale.

You should be able to find some discounts as well. All black versions but silver liner lock.

The Para 3 lightweight is not so expensive.
I would buy a new one and call it a day.

You could screw and glue the knife also to a fixed blade.
If I end up messing something up, maybe I'll weld a tang on and make a little neck knife or something. Probably ruin my heat treat, but who knows what the future holds for this little beauty.
Thanks for the reply
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Rwstubbz wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 pm
aaronkb wrote:

I would consider this. I love s90v. I like to tinker so I'm honestly looking for an answer to the question so I can make a nice knife of my own. I would still consider buying the s90v from you. I love my manix in s90 it has extremely good edge retention and super sliced. How would we arrange a purchase?
Oh, I was trying to say I’d sell you the scales and keep the blade as a backup but I’d also sell you the whole thing if you want it! You couldn send me the money and then hope I send the knife :p of if you’d prefer, I wonder if there’s someone who’s a trusted figure in the knife community who’d be willing to act as a go-between.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JRinFL wrote: That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
Ill bet my edc Spyderco didnt send it out like that. It probably got screwed up by someone else, sold/exchanged/returned whatever, and ended up sold again to this person. They should have immediately demanded a refund.

Op says reputable seller, is it an authourised dealer? Theres a difference.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:12 am
JRinFL wrote: That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
Ill bet my edc Spyderco didnt send it out like that. It probably got screwed up by someone else, sold/exchanged/returned whatever, and ended up sold again to this person. They should have immediately demanded a refund.

Op says reputable seller, is it an authourised dealer? Theres a difference.
Yeah, seems likely.

For the OP:
If there are no other options, I would buy the cheapest LW version and use it for parts to fix the Spy27 version. It is wasteful, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cali

Post by cali »

Come on, the knife is a lemon but still a lot of people can fix such issues, it requires just a soldering iron treatment and bending the lock!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:02 am
That is a disappointing warranty response, in my opinion. If it would not pass QC, then the customer should never have received it and should not be dealing with now. US made Spydercos should have a ready supply of parts available to fix the knife, so why wasn't it repaired?
That was my thought as well, sounds like poor customer service to basically intimate in the response that "we couldn't have made a mistake like that, you must have broken it and are lying to us about it," If that's how it went down. Even if they thought it got damaged in the supply chain, it pays to take care of customers better than that.

Which retailer did you buy it from?
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

aaronkb wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 am
Rwstubbz wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 pm
aaronkb wrote:

Oh, I was trying to say I’d sell you the scales and keep the blade as a backup but I’d also sell you the whole thing if you want it! You couldn send me the money and then hope I send the knife :p of if you’d prefer, I wonder if there’s someone who’s a trusted figure in the knife community who’d be willing to act as a go-between.
I understand now. I'd like to buy the whole thing though. I'd consider the rex 45 at the right price as well. Burnt orange scales aren't my thing, but I could swap them out. How do I contact you? Are there private messages on this forum? I'm sure that if we strike a deal, we can figure out the rest. I'm rwstubbz on twitter as well if you would like to pm me there.