XL Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

XL Chaparral

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I guess this is closely related to a recent topic I posted. There is a huge fan base for the Chaparral. The quality, steel and thinness of the blade all play a part. with not many in the Spyderco line up to compare it to.

The slicyness is frequently talked about. That 2mm blade stock. The Benchmade Bugout has a longer blade and not as tall. I'm pretty sure they aren't swamped with swarms of people crying about broken blades. Just add some documentation with the knife emphasizing it is a cutting tool and NOT a prybar.

Spyderco, how about it?

A larger version but keeping the things that make the Chap such a good knife. Quality, XHP and the thinness. There is demand. I have 2 sun and moon Chaps on the way now. One is for my son.

I just can't see this being a swing and a miss.
FourStringFiend

Re: XL Chaparral

Post by FourStringFiend »

If it’s in between the Sage and Shaman in size, while being that thin, they will have a definitive classic.
JMM

Post by JMM »

There are several very long threads on this -- search is your friend... ;) :p :rolleyes:

Here's a good place to start... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492

:D
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

JMM wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:47 pm
There are several very long threads on this -- search is your friend... ;) :p :rolleyes:

Here's a good place to start... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492

:D

I know it's been discussed and I know there are threads on it but when? I'd like to move it from being talked about to it being a reality.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Chaparralarge? Yes please. Keep the blade stock the same thinness, and CQI the action... that is vague, but you know what I mean... opening, closing, and lockup are totally different than most of their other back locks. Maybe a longer, and therefore heavier blade would help improve the action by default, idk.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm
I guess this is closely related to a recent topic I posted. There is a huge fan base for the Chaparral.
Thanks for bringing this up once more!! :)
I am probably one of the main proponents for a Chap XL, started several polls and threads on this.

Actually and with all due respect I don't fully understand why Spyderco as a performance oriented company still has not done a Chap XL (or somewhat similar larger ffg knife with 2mm blade) yet (the Centofante is hollow sabre grind). Just a superior performer with that thin, but strong blade and the overall quality of the Chap is pretty much undisputed.

Actually thinner, slicier blades imho profit more in performance from being longer than thicker ones.

A Chap in let's say Endela says, remaining as thin as it is overall and in blade stock, must be a perfect EDC carry.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:08 pm
Chaparralarge? Yes please. Keep the blade stock the same thinness, and CQI the action... that is vague, but you know what I mean... opening, closing, and lockup are totally different than most of their other back locks. Maybe a longer, and therefore heavier blade would help improve the action by default, idk.
Well, the lockup is actually perhaps the best on any Spyderco backlock?? Extremely solid, no blade play at all?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:53 pm
Well, the lockup is actually perhaps the best on any Spyderco backlock?? Extremely solid, no blade play at all?

I've heard so many good thins about this configuration of the backlock, I'm surprised we haven't seen it in other models.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:53 pm

I've heard so many good thins about this configuration of the backlock, I'm surprised we haven't seen it in other models.
The thing (for me) is that the moving stop pin mechanism has a lot more places for stuff to hide than a typical backlock. A couple times I've gotten enough pocket lint packed in there that the knife wouldn't be able to lock or close fully until I dug in there with a toothpick to get the lint out. So I definitely wouldn't want to use it on a knife that was going to be in a high-gunk use case.

The thing (for Spyderco) is probably also that it adds significantly to the complexity of the construction. I'm not sure they could put it on their more utilitarian/economical product lines even if they wanted to.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have favorably imagined a bigger Chap from time to time but usually stall out on the purpose of such. Is bigger better? The Chap is about as perfect as can be.

What if Sal did a “handle-forward” treatment of the original Chap such that it gave us a PM2’s edge-length together with a four-fingered handle upon removal of the choil?

Being effectively bigger than a Chap in terms of edge-length, but at the same folded and overall length, this lengthening would become a different model meriting a new name.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've seen/read Wartstein's threads for this when they were first posted.

Initially it was a knife I had no interest in, although being a big fan of the Chaparral; after sitting with it for a while I got on board with it and would really like see it become reality. Spyderco - you listening?

My preference would be a sun/moon XL.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm reluctant to think every single model that Spyderco makes needs multiple sizes and blade shapes. In my unpopular opinion, I think the Chaparral design should be left alone. The whole series has a high level of integrity and elegance after all these years, just let it be a model for showcasing different handle materials.

Advocate for a completely new design utilizing a 2mm blade and I'll vocally support that with you all day.

Sal told us about an "Aficionado Delica" over two years ago now and I believe there was a prototype being tested very recently. Maybe that will satisfy the desire for a new high performance knife larger than the Chaparral.

Also, the often forgotten Centofante 3 is readily available and has the same blade stock thickness as the Chaparral. (.079" 2.0 mm) It also has a longer blade at 3.14" vs. the Chap at 2.8".
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:06 pm
I have favorably imagined a bigger Chap from time to time but usually stall out on the purpose of such. Is bigger better? The Chap is about as perfect as can be.

What if Sal did a “handle-forward” treatment of the original Chap such that it gave us a PM2’s edge-length together with a four-fingered handle upon removal of the choil?

Being effectively bigger than a Chap in terms of edge-length, but at the same folded and overall length, this lengthening would become a different model meriting a new name.
Not a bad idea, but I don't think it would work out: The Chap handle is so short that it would not offer larger hands a good four finger grip without the additional grip area in the blade that a choil gives.

Also I think that a slicey, 2mm blade shows its benefits best with at least a pm2-ish length cuttiing edge...
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I both agree with Mushroom, but also understand the desire for a larger Chaparral.
There is a lot of about the knife to love besides it’s blade stock/grind (the lock and handle design). I can see why it’d be easier to request a larger version rather than a new model that’d end up with many similar characteristics.

In all honestly, while I have a lot of respect for these sort of “special series” designs like the Chaparral, Sage, Ethnics, or Mules, my desire to pursue new and better performance is even more important. So, if a Chaparral XL is the way to see a larger folder with a full flat 2mm blade I would not bat an eye, despite the existence of such a knife breaking from the original intent of the Chaparral.

This is something that I think Spyderco does already after seeing the Maxamet Sage 1, the slight change in blade shape to the planned Spy27 mule that will be continuously restocked, and other similar changes.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Re: Visa vie, chaparral action and lock up... um.. ok yes the lockup is solid, but the lockbar kind of just falls into place with a whimper... it doesn't snap into place with the usual thwack of a Native or a Police. Disengaging the lockbar is a chore and the blade doesn't move, a good bit of wrist is required to make it drop halfway shut. The opening isn't smooth, frictionless or pleasant. Basically it is just no fun to operate. I love operating a Native.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Baron Mind wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 am
Re: Visa vie, chaparral action and lock up... um.. ok yes the lockup is solid, but the lockbar kind of just falls into place with a whimper... it doesn't snap into place with the usual thwack of a Native or a Police. Disengaging the lockbar is a chore and the blade doesn't move, a good bit of wrist is required to make it drop halfway shut. The opening isn't smooth, frictionless or pleasant. Basically it is just no fun to operate. I love operating a Native.
Hmmm... either my Chap is a real good example or yours a real "bad".
- Mine (FRN) makes a very pleasant "snap" when closing
- It is not free dropping, yes, but I would not like that anyway and sure it'd be harder to achieve with such a very light blade
- I can still thumb flick the blade open no prob
- Lock bar is a bit stiffer and a bit more "unpleasant" on the finger (cause it is so narrow) indeed, but if one does not like the "stifness" there is an easy mod for this.

That being said: Yes, the Chap will never be as easy and "fun" to operate as most of my other backlocks. But perhaps this would change in an XL version with a longer, heavier blade??
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Many people forget the Centofante 3 is readily available with a 2mm blade and 3 inch cutting edge. Not exactly the same as a Chap XL but it's a strong slicer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 am
Many people forget the Centofante 3 is readily available with a 2mm blade and 3 inch cutting edge. Not exactly the same as a Chap XL but it's a strong slicer.
I had one and liked it: But it is sabre hollow and not ffg! Thin sabre hollow is amazing in many cutting tasks, but for a general EDC 2mm ffg is better imho (and honestly could probably be the standard for folders up to PM2 size for me)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A bigger knife with 2mm stock works for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Make a Sage 5 with the blade ground down to 2mm. Leave it thick at the pivot. It's a knife that can already be made at economies of scale, and it's the handle and blade shape that led to the Chaparral in the first place. If it sells, then maybe get serious about doing all the new tooling for a Chap XL or the like.