The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by Wartstein »

Just came across this vid https://youtu.be/RDv07o5new8 about a device that presumably can make the comp.lock easier to operate.
Basically a piece of G10 attached to the lock tab that makes the tab thicker and much wider, so one does not have to put the finger in the sometimes pretty small cutout of the comp.lock anymore

Here is a screenshot:

Not sure what I think of this device, but it could potentially be an improvement:

- Easier to operate the lock with cold, numb fingers or gloves (or with impaired motor skills in the fingers)
- Especially for big hands there is no need anymore to "find into" the small comp.lock cutout
- Perhaps (!) better ergos, since the cutout at the top of the handle (for me really "hotspotty") is not there anymore (but perhaps the device creates a hotspot too)
- One really minor thing that is mentioned in the vid: The "Shaman nub" can´t hit the finger anymore when closing the knife (not an issue at all for me though)

Potential cons:

- Easier to accidentally activate the lock when the knife is in use
- Durability?? (The thing is glued on)
- Don´t like the looks... ;)

What do you all think?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by Evil D »

Last edited by Evil D on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rp5

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by Rp5 »

Personally I love the compression lock and think it's generally easy to operate on my PM2s and Sage 5, so I don't worry about trying to make it easier to operate.

I loved the idea for the Shaman to avoid the choil nub destroying my finger, but the "Easier to accidentally activate the lock when the knife is in use" potential concern scared me away from trying one. How is that not an issue for you? I assume it must hit your finger and you just don't care?
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

I tend to avoid using glued-on parts on my tools.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I think that for left handed people it would be pretty amazing. That extra height added by the insert translates into invaluable leverage for left handed operation. Although the design itself has some serious issues, chief of which is the glued-on construction,and probably would be just plain off ridiculous for righties.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:00 am
Looks like a "solution looking for a problem" but if people like it then I guess more power to them. I'd rather see the button version made on more models.
I am kind of with you, but still would have to try both in order to form an opinion
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:00 am
I think that for left handed people it would be pretty amazing. That extra height added by the insert translates into invaluable leverage for left handed operation. Although the design itself has some serious issues, chief of which is the glued-on construction,and probably would be just plain off ridiculous for righties.
Perhaps on knives like the Kapara (small cutout, narrow handle) and if one has rather beefy fingers it could have benefits for Righties too?

Plus, as said, with really cold, numb, somewhat impaired... fingers? Don't know, would have tp try.

The device just does not really appeal to me, looks somewhat "unfinished", prototype-ish and not nice.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Looks like a "solution looking for a problem" but if people like it then I guess more power to them. I'd rather see the button version made on more models.
I am kind of with you, but still would have to try both in order to form an opinion

I could see it potentially filling the lock cutout space which has been a source of hot spots for me, but it also surely seems like I'd squeeze it and press the lock in during use.
Yes, Nick says in the vid that when using the Shaman in a hammer grip and gripping it really hard the lock gets disengaged enough to produce slightl blade play.
Not so on the Para 3 though as far as I recall.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TKCSA wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:32 am
Me too.

But then: If I wanted that device, the glued on nature still would not bother me too much:

- If at some point the device would come off, no problem, nothing broken, I'd just have a regular comp. lock knife again
- Nick in the vid says he really tried to get the thing to fail/come off, but couldn't.
That says nothing about potential long term issues though of course!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:17 am
TKCSA wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:32 am
Me too.

But then: If I wanted that device, the glued on nature still would not bother me too much:

- If at some point the device would come off, no problem, nothing broken, I'd just have a regular comp. lock knife again
- Nick in the vid says he really tried to get the thing to fail/come off, but couldn't.
That says nothing about potential long term issues though of course!
Super glue (cyanoacrylate) is stupid strong. Like able to hold furniture on a ceiling strong. I doubt it would fail in this situation. If it did, clean it up and reglue. I don't see the point of this mod though. I could see the lock getting disengaged and all kinds of bad happening. I'll keep my comp lock knives how they are! If it works for someone else though, more power to them!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Matus

Post by Matus »

I guess the need for improvement may be there with some models (not on P3 or Caribbean IMO), but frankly, as was already mentioned - the next logical step in the evolution of the compression lock is turning it into a button lock. Surely there is work to be done to optimize the position, size, action, etc. but it would improve the comfort of use and remove the hot spot. I do hope that Spyderco is looking into it in the long term.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:40 am
Rp5 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 am
Personally I love the compression lock and think it's generally easy to operate on my PM2s and Sage 5, so I don't worry about trying to make it easier to operate.

I loved the idea for the Shaman to avoid the choil nub destroying my finger, but the "Easier to accidentally activate the lock when the knife is in use" potential concern scared me away from trying one. How is that not an issue for you? I assume it must hit your finger and you just don't care?

If you mean how is the nub not an issue, I just move my finger at the last second and the blade is heavy enough to continue shutting. That nub ordeal is probably the biggest 1st world knife problem I've seen in the last few years. Knife people can really be a bunch of Goldilocks' sometimes.
I agree. People grind it off all the time because it hits their finger. I honestly don't see how it is an issue. You disengage the lock, swing the blade down and release the lock and your finger shouldn't be there when the blade hits home. Why keep your finger there? It's like with the amalgam. People grind off the flipper because it hits their finger. Move your finger! It's really that simple...

I'm all for people modding their knives if they want but some things that people complain about is just... I don't know. I just shake my head.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like the concept of this, but not the implementation.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am sure some folks will like it. I have never had an issue with comp locks unless wearing gloves and at that point I just carry a Military.

In general I am not much for accessorizing things. Some folks love putting every trinket possible on their stuff and all the power to them.

Never had an issue with the nub on the shaman either. The way I flick it closed my finger is never there when it hits home.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:06 am
nerdlock wrote:
Perhaps on knives like the Kapara (small cutout, narrow handle) and if one has rather beefy fingers it could have benefits for Righties too?
The Kapara comp lock indent is one of the more challenging to depress since the handle is much more narrow than a PM2, P3, Shaman. Would I put this on the beautiful Kapara? Probably not.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Superflex wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:06 am
nerdlock wrote:
The Kapara comp lock indent is one of the more challenging to depress since the handle is much more narrow than a PM2, P3, Shaman. Would I put this on the beautiful Kapara? Probably not.
Well put, I would not like to do this too!

But on the other hand one of the reasons why I sold my Kapara was its limited usefulness in the outdoors (due to the particulatr comp.lock and the slick, narrow handle)... ideally I´d like to see a linerlock Kapara, but a more elegant version of this device on a comp.lock would perhaps be fine too.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Evil D wrote:
Guess you've never experienced arthritis or neuropathy in your hands. This could be a godsend for people with those issues who have comp locks.

I dont put lanyard baubles, aftermarket scales or clips on my knives, but I keep my mouth shut when I see others do it.

Agree the button comp lock on the Smock is the bees knees