Caribbean Which Blade--My First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianPatrick

Caribbean Which Blade--My First Spyderco

Post by BrianPatrick »

I want to purchase my very first Spyderco. I want to purchase the Caribbean, as it feels good in my hand and I will be using in a saltwater environment. I honestly don't know much about blades and looking for any input on blade type and why. I was first thinking the PE Leaf, because that is what I am use to seeing and have always had. I have just never tried anything else. The SE Sheepsfoot sounds like a good option for when the boat is rocking.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning more. If there is some other model you would suggest over the Caribbean, please post.
Michael Janich

Re: Caribbean Which Blade--My First Spyderco

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear BrianPatrick:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

The caribbean is very robust, with a very good handle-to-blade ratio. The blade on SE lc200n cuts really well, I recently bought a salt2 W SE and I love it. The pacific salt2 SE is also a great option, light and efficient! EvilD sure can help you better with the Caribbean! :)
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:27 am
Dear BrianPatrick:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks Mike. Learning a great deal reading this site.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

welcome to the forum!

Blade type and edge type will depend on what you're cutting. Is this going to be a 'close to salt water every day carry' scenario or is this going to be a 'I need to cut rope, gut fish, and open clams on a daily basis' scenario?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You could get the leaf shape Carribean which is excellent and get a smaller rescue Salt model for when the boat is really rocking. Maybe a Salt Saver or Salt 2 as the secondary?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 am
welcome to the forum!

Blade type and edge type will depend on what you're cutting. Is this going to be a 'close to salt water every day carry' scenario or is this going to be a 'I need to cut rope, gut fish, and open clams on a daily basis' scenario?
I will be a EDC scenario and I am on my boat about 2 days a week. I use filet knifes for fish and bait, but It's nice to have a knife in pocket for when I can't find my other tools around, like cutting a line, maybe cutting a bait, but probably not prying open a clam.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i opted for the the se sheepsfoot. if you are in the water, the sheepsfoot is definitely safer for you. also, if you might be using the knife in any sort of emergency, the serrations will be preferable. they cut longer and more aggressively than a plain edge. since i carry a knife for only minor edc cutting and in case of emergencies, i prioritize emergency use. the se sheepsfoot would be great for emergencies (in or out of the water) and works great for every day cutting as well.

i've considered getting the pe leaf also, but i honestly have no need for it. even though i sometimes carry a pe knife along with my caribbean, they really don't replace the functionality or effectiveness of a good, rustproof serrated knife for me.

it really depends on what you're planning to use the knife for though. if you are cleaning fish, you may prefer a pe leaf, but you'd probably be better off with a cheap filet knife at that point.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:57 am
You could get the leaf shape Carribean which is excellent and get a smaller rescue Salt model for when the boat is really rocking. Maybe a Salt Saver or Salt 2 as the secondary?
i would actually do the opposite of this. i want the most teeth possible for water emergencies. i'm not trying to play around with cutting rope, line, or netting when i'm in an emergency. i'd prefer a smaller pe and longer se if i was planning on carrying both in or on the water.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:02 am
JRinFL wrote:
i would actually do the opposite of this. i want the most teeth possible for water emergencies. i'm not trying to play around with cutting rope, line, or netting when i'm in an emergency. i'd prefer a smaller pe and longer se if i was planning on carrying both in or on the water.
So original Jumpmaster I or go home? :)
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:14 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:02 am
JRinFL wrote:
So original Jumpmaster I or go home? :)
haha... i guess if you're willing to carry a fixed blade. i'm not a diver, so i just stick with a folder in my waistband.

fwiw, the pac salt in se h1 is my actual first choice for this type of carry. you get a little bit of a rounded tip and still have a point. the caribbean sheepsfoot would be much safer though.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

When I thought I was going to on the water more often than I am, I purchased an Enuff Salt. I think it is a model that gets overlooked a lot.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

Unless you have a specific use for the Caribbean which favors the sheepsfoot blade or the SE edge, I would (and did!) go with the PE leaf. It is the most universal option IMO. But also do check out the Siren if you are a fisherman.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:51 am
Unless you have a specific use for the Caribbean which favors the sheepsfoot blade or the SE edge, I would (and did!) go with the PE leaf. It is the most universal option IMO. But also do check out the Siren if you are a fisherman.
I want to get my hands on the Siren as I am a fisherman. I want to see how I like the Back Lock compared the the Compression Lock. So many options, which is a good problem to have.
BrianPatrick

Post by BrianPatrick »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 am
When I thought I was going to on the water more often than I am, I purchased an Enuff Salt. I think it is a model that gets overlooked a lot.
I could see using the Enuff Salt on the deck, but not for EDC. The Enuff Salt would be good strapped to my hardtop pipe.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

As a Salt water fisherman, I feel there is a place for both a PE and SE LC200N folder. I have both the LC200N SE Pac Salt2 and a Siren. They fulfill different niches.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

BrianPatrick wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 am
Matus wrote:
I want to get my hands on the Siren as I am a fisherman. I want to see how I like the Back Lock compared the the Compression Lock. So many options, which is a good problem to have.
I can attest that the Siren makes an amazing fisherman's folder and a great EDC as well.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Regardless of which one you get, it will be a great knife.

I have had the leaf PE for around 3 years and have thoroughly abused it. It hasn't slowed down in the least and remains one of my all time favorite "work" folders.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

I love my PE Leaf and is in my daily rotation, however if I was cutting rope more often then anything else, I would get a SE version but the PE just fits me better for EDC overall.

I also carry a Salt Assist in my man purse though (wife's words not mine :) ) for emergencies so my pocket carry doesn't really play into the emergency what if's.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

BrianPatrick wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:22 am
Matus wrote:
I really like my Siren. I also really like my Caribbean. You wouldn’t go wrong with either one but may I suggest you watch some YouTube videos from Surfergringo, he is the designer of the Spyderco Waterway and the Siren. Something else to consider… you may want to get the Siren first that way if you decide you want a serrated knife later you don’t have duplicates.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”