Just for fun (poll) Are you a righty or a lefty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you right or left handed?

Right
70%
Left
30%

Total votes: 132

PeanutButterFan

Just for fun (poll) Are you a righty or a lefty?

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I know it’s common knowledge that only 10% of the population is left handed, but I thought it would be fun to see what the ratio would be within this community. Hoping for a good lefty turnout ;) :spyder:
Last edited by PeanutButterFan on Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airlsee

Re: Just for fun (pole) Are you a righty or a lefty?

Post by Airlsee »

Haha, just as expected so far, statistically speaking...

I'm curious to see how this ends up.

Edit to add: Right handed | Left footed
Last edited by Airlsee on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So it goes.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Lefty here... which didn't keep me from ordering a linerlock just today :) (not really fond of framelocks though)
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I can't vote. When it comes to using knives and handguns, both.
Last edited by Pokey on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

juggler wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:20 am
Lefty here... which didn't keep me from ordering a linerlock just today :) (not really fond of framelocks though)
Same here. I have no issues using a liner lock or frame lock left handed. Compression locks are a different story. One reason I have respect for spyderco is that they offer left hand clip placement on most of their models.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The left-handed population in the USA is closer to 20%, partially due to changing demographics and partially due to more widespread acceptance of left-handedness in primary school and daycare. A hugely untapped market until Spyderco came on the scene!
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:21 am
I can't vote. When it comes to using knives and handguns, both.
= #blessed :D
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Left-handed; and I've mostly just used backlocks. That being said, I've used basically every lock on the marketplace (the Neely Lock is one I keep hearing is problematic, and don't own, but want to try anyway--and am trying to find an original Camillus-built version, instead of the imported version Timberline later sold), I carry RH/tip up for the whole reason that my right hand is my non-dominant side, but my work knives with clips are all LH. And the fact I'm usually too lazy to swap the clips around. ALL linerlocks remain RH carry. Fixed blades are all RH carry as well, even with ambidextrous sheaths. Linerlocks I've grown used to, but they used to be a problem. Backlocks are my favorite, even if they're usually impossible to close one-handed. AG Russell's design on the One-Hand is a kinda modified midlock (frontlock?) that does allow me to close the knife one-handed LH.

The comp lock is surprising in how it works for both my right hand and left hand one-handed.

Fun fact: I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was 12, and really only recently figured out boot lacing. Some people blamed it on the fact I was left-handed, others my mild autism. With ankle issues, I usually only wear lace-ups these days.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I’m also left handed. For spyderco I typically use back locks and compression locks. The one thing I really like about my CRK Sebenza is that they make a lefty version. I would really like a lefty frame lock from spyderco like the spydiechef.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Righty, but was told I may have been born a lefty because of unusually high level of strength in that hand vs my dominant right. I can't write or throw or bat left handed but I do use my left for a lot of random things at work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Left handed, which might explain my affinity for the Spyderco's with CBBL. Other left-hand-friendly Spyderco's I have are the LH PM2 and some backlocks. I'd buy more CBBL or compression locks if they were available.

My first good, modern-style knife was a Left Handed Emerson-licensed CQC7 made by Benchmade. With it's chisel grind, precise lockup, smooth pivot, and tanto blade, there's a lot to like. There's no reason I wouldn't still carry this, but I like my Spyderco's just a little bit better.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:34 am
I know it’s common knowledge that only 10% of the population is left handed, but I thought it would be fun to see what the ratio would be within this community. Hoping for a good lefty turnout ;) :spyder:
I know they are very rare but you forgot ambidextrous people.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Using knives, writing/drawing, I'm a righty.

Throwing things (a ball, darts, or throwing knives), using eating utensils, punching, etc. , I'm ambidextrous. I actually throw more accurately left-handed.

Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ambidextrous
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

my wife is a leftie and 3 out of 4 kids are lefties too. What are the odds of that?!?!?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I can open and close most knives either hand. (I don’t know if I have tried every lock type). I can do some things with either hand but I’m definitely right handed.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Quasi-ambidextrous so, while I strongly prefer using my left hand where pocket knives are concerned, I have an equally strong preference for those that are 100% hand neutral. That is to say, knives that do not have a handed lock or a handed opener and, if equipped with a clip, have one that can be mounted it on either side. Only exception to the last would be DA/DE OTF autos with side mounted firing switches like the Piranha Excalibur and Benchmade Infidel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m a righty but should have been a lefty. When I was very young my grandfather would see me using my left hand to color and or draw and he would tell me “no that’s wrong, use your right hand” I can say I definitely don’t remember this but I can tell lefty was what was supposed to happen because my penmanship is atrocious and I hold my hand in an awkward position as left-handers do when they write. Another thing, I can’t kick a ball straight with my right foot to save my life but it comes naturally to do so with my left foot. Also when I was a professional painter I taught my self to “cut a straight line” with a paint brush using my left and right hands.

As the years go by I find myself being able to do more and more with my left hand as I sit here and type I do it with my left hand on my iphone.

Maybe this was a good thing because I love knives, guns and archery; left handed versions of these items are usually more rare, more expensive or both.

EDIT: voted right handed.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Right hand, right eye and right foot. I am pretty capable with my left but definitely favor my right.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

:) I kept looking for a pole!

For me, dexter, not sinister. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001