SpydieChef for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Re: SpydieChef for EDC?

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

Quick bump on this thread; fishing for more comments about the Spydiechef for EDC.

The Spydiechef has a few things I haven't had much interest in before: framelock, titanium scales, and the all-belly upswept blade and high tip. However, I've always liked the design/aesthetics of it, and am considering getting one. In checking reviews and comments, many consider it one of their favorite models.

My main hangup is the blade shape. I have an all-belly blade from another brand (Civivi Riffle), and the shape makes me feel like it wants to slip off what I'm cutting, or the belly sweep has me run out of blade. That said, even though both knives are all belly, the angles are different.

It's just a bit pricey with a big unknown for me. So maybe I need a little more convincing. What are the advantages of this blade shape beyond kitchen use?

On the flip side; any comments from anyone who got a Spydiechef for EDC and did not like it? If so, why not?

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it is a little pricey for an unknown, but if you grab one to try, i doubt you'd lose too much when you pass it on if you don't like it. besides, it's for science.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If power cutting draw cuts are your jam, then perhaps this isn't the knife for your every day needs. In this day and age where the most common use of their knives for many is opening a package or breaking down cardboard, push cutting may be an alien skill set. Knives do cut both ways and the SpydieChef maximizes that potential in a compact package.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

PS

It is a very well made knife. While it is true that the Slysz Bowie has additional stone wash finishing and contouring, amidst all the hull-a-balloo, Spyderco made the right choice IMHO in keeping the SpydieChef in their lineup. For me it is the more functional piece and of similar quality without the finishing touches.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bump to this thread. More thoughts ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

At some point the Sage 2 (ti framelock) was one of my absolute favourite everyday carries. Typical use at the time was light use office carry, food, packaging etc, nothing too demanding.

When I bought the Spydiechef it dethroned the Sage 2 in that role. Similar vibe: ti framelock and wire clip, but with a significantly longer cutting edge. The longer blade made it much better for me, I generally prefer 3.5+ inches. It carried exceptionally well for the amount of cutting edge. I also prefer a negative blade angle, but surprisingly the upswept blade did not really bother me much for EDC. The tip although not very fine was still useful for pierce cuts. And it was completely rust proof as a bonus.

You have to be ready to sharpen it more often than S30V though, but it sharpens very easily. I had minor lock stick, but that disappeared completely over time as it broke in.

If you are curious about it, I'd say get one, you'll most probably like it. They are popular enough that you should be able to sell it easily if you don't.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:05 am
At some point the Sage 2 (ti framelock) was one of my absolute favourite everyday carries. Typical use at the time was light use office carry, food, packaging etc, nothing too demanding.

When I bought the Spydiechef it dethroned the Sage 2 in that role. Similar vibe: ti framelock and wire clip, but with a significantly longer cutting edge. The longer blade made it much better for me, I generally prefer 3.5+ inches. It carried exceptionally well for the amount of cutting edge. I also prefer a negative blade angle, but surprisingly the upswept blade did not really bother me much for EDC. The tip although not very fine was still useful for pierce cuts. And it was completely rust proof as a bonus.

You have to be ready to sharpen it more often than S30V though, but it sharpens very easily. I had minor lock stick, but that disappeared completely over time as it broke in.

If you are curious about it, I'd say get one, you'll most probably like it. They are popular enough that you should be able to sell it easily if you don't.
Do tell ... it seems the positive blade angle is seen as a con when it comes to general edc.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Yes, the theory is that negative blade angle helps material to "stay in the cut" and not slip off the front of the blade. You'll probably notice that gain in efficiency when you break down a number of large boxes with something like a Military.

You are not going to notice it much if you open one package or cut your apple with a Spydiechef.

To borrow a quote from someone famous 😉, blades shapes are like knife steels, all good just different. Choose the best one for the job to maximise efficiency. If you only have one it will likely do the job regardless.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've heard a lot of people talk about a negative angle and even used the term myself. looking at the spydiechef as an example of a positive angle raises some questions though... are we only referring to the tip being below the centerline of the knife while holding it in a standard grip? because the spydiechef is specifically designed to give your knuckles clearance against a flat surface, meaning the blade itself is at a negative angle when cutting. the tip is upswept though and i would say it's at a positive angle. maybe that's why people still enjoy it as an edc cutting tool...? the angle you need to hold the knife in for penetrating isn't the most comfortable if you had to use it that way constantly, but it's not bad for the occasional poking-type use and that angle becomes basically irrelevant if you are holding what you're cutting in your other hand.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:01 pm
i've heard a lot of people talk about a negative angle and even used the term myself. looking at the spydiechef as an example of a positive angle raises some questions though... are we only referring to the tip being below the centerline of the knife while holding it in a standard grip? because the spydiechef is specifically designed to give your knuckles clearance against a flat surface, meaning the blade itself is at a negative angle when cutting. the tip is upswept though and i would say it's at a positive angle. maybe that's why people still enjoy it as an edc cutting tool...? the angle you need to hold the knife in for penetrating isn't the most comfortable if you had to use it that way constantly, but it's not bad for the occasional poking-type use and that angle becomes basically irrelevant if you are holding what you're cutting in your other hand.
Your observation is sharp but it also depends how you draw the line to define the positive/negative angle and how you hold your knife. I would also say that most of the blade is oriented at a negative angle in a saber grip but in a gorilla grip and a slicing motion you it feels like the entire blade is at a neutral angle. The more you use it the more you like it.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

elena86

Post by elena86 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:58 pm
elena86 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:43 pm
Now it's a better edc
OUCH!!! That's gonna poke a lot of holes in the hide while skinning. ;)
I never use my blades for skinning. Would you like to be skinned by a rabbit ?! :winking-tongue You must admit that it looks cool though !
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )