Some problems with Emphasis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Higher

Some problems with Emphasis

Post by Higher »

I do not know what to do.

I saw it completely unexpectedly. Thought he hit with the blade and didn’t notice it. I took apart the knife to wash. I began to collect and saw it.
When closed, the blade strikes the insert inside the knife.

I'm very sad. I didn't expect this. I thought that this could happen with other manufacturers. I didn't think this could happen at Spyderco. Don't mistake this for passive aggression. I'm just saddened. About 200 Spyderco knives passed through my hands. But this is the first time I've seen this.

Some might say "you wanted something else from a cheap knife"? But no. I do not think so. This is Spyderco. And in any case, everything should be fine.

I can sharpen a knife. But that won't get rid of the problem. Perhaps I should grind off the insert? A bit in the middle?
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
sal

Re: Some problems with Emphasis

Post by sal »

Hi Higher,

I think that few sharpenings would solve the problem. The kick should prevent that, If it's areal problem, send it to Charlynn in c ustomer service and will do a Look-see. Whatever, we'll fisset.

sal
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I've got a similar problem with my siren, its an error in the blade sharpening dept somewhere and isn't super uncommon with backlocks. Sal is probably right, sharpen it a bit. Plus if my eyes don't deceive me your blade has a slight recurve, sharpening that out should kill two birds with one stone.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Higher

Post by Higher »

Hi Sal,

"fix set". Yes, I wanted to convey information to you. I want you to make changes and make other customers happy. I have no doubt that this will be done. And as a fan of Spyderco, this makes me very happy.

Thanks for the support. I will not send the knife. Its cost as mailing cost. It's very far away.

I am sharpening my knife, but will that solve the problem? Is the notch in the heel of the blade allowing the locking pin to move?
Translator ... I don't know to explain😂
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I checked both of my Emphasis models and neither of them rap the inside of the backspacer with the edge like yours.

A common solution for this issue with traditional slipjoints is to carve a small piece of wood from a matchstick or a coffee stirrer and wedge it under the kick to raise it a little.

However I see that this would not work with the Emphasis as the kick does not interface as it would on a knife with a full lockbar like a lockback or slipjoint pattern - it only has a partial backspacer.

So, as mentioned, sharpening the edge back is your practical solution.

I would recommend using the corners of the Sharpmaker to address the actual contact area. Once apexed, this will create a kind of mini-serration scallop, which with repeated sharpenings will clear the backspacer.

Once you’ve used and resharpened the knife enough times to stop the blade rap issue, you can then sharpen the knife normally and straighten out the edge in that area.