What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Police 4
16%
Military
26%
Native Chief
14%
Manix 2 XL
4%
Shaman
11%
Caribbean
7%
Endura
10%
Pacific Salt 2
4%
Other
9%

Total votes: 135

Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi All,

I recently got a Caribbean and a Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N; and think I'm tending toward larger knives. So, looking around here, I'm not finding many threads comparing the more popular current models.

That said, I'm also wondering if the Pacific Salt 2 might be big enough; maybe something larger would be too large. So, I'd also appreciate your thoughts on carrying larger folders in general, both pros and cons. For reference, I work in an office and really just need an EDC knife, so I'm aware I'm already into overkill territory. Opening and tearing down boxes, opening mail, but there's occasional need for a knife when doing yardwork or stuff around the house.

I figured I'd ask. This is the first poll I've tried, so hopefully I do it right.

What's your favorite and why?

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Wartstein

Re: What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Post by Wartstein »

[You did the poll perfectly well! :) Just did not vote YOURSELF it seems, since my vote was the first ;) ]

Voted Endura. This model is still my favorite folder of all times and all brands.

In my personal size categorization it is not "large" though, but "regular". So the perfect size for a versatile, all around EDC knife.
For me "perfect size" is not only, but a lot about actual cutting edge one gets, and the Enduras actual edge of almost 3.5" is the lower limit here for me when it comes to all around use (there are quite some threads about the advantages a long cutting edge has)
So the Shaman for me is actually a "small" knife, but with a really roomy handle and good grip options (so would be the Manix)

What I don´t like though: If a knife is too long in pocket (width does not bother me), and so I prefer the Endura over the longer models Military and Police, just for the more compact carry.

Other points for the Endura: Backlock, pretty light, but really sturdy with its liners, reasonable thin blade (3mm), a bit re enforced tip.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Caribbean is my fav and got my vote, but the resilience is a fantastic and very versatile knife, I highly recommend it and feel its an underrated knife.
I think I heard its in the top few biggest Spyderco folders.
I note its also coming out in lightweight blackout, combo, serrated and S30V, in the new reveal.
Its great bang for buck, even flicks well for a big knife, perfect for food prep and camping.
Because of its extra belly up near the tip it works very efficiently as not only a cutting knife, but a good buttering knife too.
For $50us you cant go wrong.
I'll be grabbing a serrated version of the new ones for sure.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Native Chief, just nudges out the Caribbean and Shaman. Why? I prefer the looks and the lock on the Native line. You would not be wrong to choose either over the Native Chief if that is your preference.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

While I love my Military and Chief, I voted Other because I really enjoy my Subvert. Every time I carry it I’m just wowed.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Without question. My Native Chief.
Perfect fit and finish.
No blade play.
cpm45 Rex blade steel.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Police 4.

Native chief, shaman, military, pm2, caribbean, endura 4 are all pretty much tied with it for me as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

of the knives you have listed, i'm a huge fan of the pacific salt and the caribbean. for a slightly smaller option, i really like the manix 2 or yojimbo 2 as well. the latter two are probably more appropriate for most office settings, although the yo2 looks a little aggressive.

i'll also throw another vote in for the resilience. it's probably the biggest blade i'm comfortable carrying around town. some people will think it's way too big, but it reminds me of a kitchen knife that happens to fold up and go in my pocket. i'm very much looking forward to the upgraded model releasing soonish.

to answer your question about office carry though, i think 4" blades are probably a little much for most people and, likely, completely unnecessary. i say that as i sit in an office with a 4max scout in my pocket, though, so i guess it depends on your office. :) i've compared the caribbean to the 4max and it's crazy how close they are in blade length for the size and weight difference. the caribbean is a better knife for daily carry by far.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I voted Endura of the ones you listed. I'll throw in Pac Salt, Spyderhawk, and Manix XL as my honorable mentions. I carry my Enduras more than the others. I only carry my Endelas more than my Enduras.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Police 4. I tend to carry more pocketable knives like the chaparral lw, but the Police 4 would be my favorite large folder. Slim, great slicer, long enough to use in the kitchen or at the table, and quite handy/useful for most any cutting task. Not exactly an - all the time - edc choice for my daily use, but a great large folder nonetheless that does get carried now and then. More so than others.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Till you have handled a stretch super blue, no other large blade knife is in equal or comparable IMO
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

The Endura is my favorite folder design so that got my vote but when you start to carry larger models it starts to feel more medium.

The Caribbean/Chief are a close second. The Military/Police third.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

I voted for the Native Chief. After carrying it everyday for 18 months it has become my favorite knife, period. This is not really a big knife. It has the same overall length as our dinner knives at home AND it folds up. You can open it and close it safely with either hand. The well shaped blade is made from a really great steel. This blade can slice a tomato, open feed sacks, cut cardboard, sharpen stakes, and remain blistering sharp with only a weekly kiss from the Sharpmaker. The handle fits my XL hands.

Spyderco saw me coming when they made the Chief. Thank you, Sal!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Police 4. Mine is the G-10 / K390 version and I love it.

If I could go with a second I'd say either Military or Endura. Both. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Manix 2 XL... that thing just feels like it was made for my hand. Perfect ergonomics.

But over the last couple of days, I have to say, the Native Chief is growing on me, fast.
notorious fidgeteer
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Police 4 and resilience are 2 of the ones that fit my hand best. I feel like the resilience should be on the poll as well. Of course the P4 wins over the resilience but not by much. I like the military but it's more restricted than the egos on the P4 and resilience. P4 also carries the best for me with its very small footprint carried tip up.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Lum Tanto, just because it is the most japanese spydie - tanto, steel (in my case ATS55) and Japan made. In the addition compound grind.
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Shaman for me. What a beautiful, handsome beast!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

VashHash wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:57 am
Police 4 and resilience are 2 of the ones that fit my hand best. I feel like the resilience should be on the poll as well. Of course the P4 wins over the resilience but not by much. I like the military but it's more restricted than the egos on the P4 and resilience. P4 also carries the best for me with its very small footprint carried tip up.
i've wanted a police for a while and the se version in the new reveal is the first one i thought i'd have to get. that resilience in s35vn might beat it out for me though. i really like the resilience and i prefer the liner lock to the backlock because they tend to be more sturdy in use. (wartstein, i'm not saying the framelock is better... i'm saying it has less play under pressure, so don't go all backlock evangelist on me.)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The mighty Millie for me but the Caribbean is second close.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red