If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by cabfrank »

True, and if we live that much longer, we may look back on these as good old days as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:56 pm
True, and if we live that much longer, we may look back on these as good old days as well.

I'm going to inject a little optimism here and hope that the coming years will be better (at least in my experience) than the past several years have been. It's the trend for mankind to always expect that only the worst is coming, but hopefully it will be in the eye of the experiencer.

For example, I'm 60, and the times I look back on with nostalgia were the late 1960s through the early 1980s. Although those times were definitely not perfect, even for me, they were the most carefree years of my life. But my experience of those times were through the lens of being a kid. That same time period was considered tumultuous and awful by a lot of people in the US, especially the late '60s through the early/-mid-'70s. There was the Vietnam War, hippies, violent political protests and riots, political assassinations, the gas/energy crisis, Watergate, etc., etc. None of which seemed to touch me personally. If I were an adult back then, my experience and my viewpoint of those times would have been very different. I also began experiencing depression in my mid-teens that, while certainly not debilitating, affected me until sometime in my 40s.

So even if I had an opportunity to go back in time to revisit those times as an adult, I wouldn't. My goal at my age is to thrive better than ever going forward, regardless of what's happening in the outside world.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtube.com/shorts/mMB-PD8Y53k?si=3D-9-HUgPOnbx1ce

Jim
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

All these pages of posts and it appears that NO ONE has posited whether they could take their favorite Spyderco or two with them when they go back in time or not. LOL

What is hilarious is that we are who we are based upon the tapestry of our lives and the culmination of all of the decisions, good and bad, that we have made. If we were to go back and do things differently, we would no longer be who we are. So even if we wanted to change things, it would create a paradox that would then fracture timelines themselves.

The other thing people don't realize is that if they were to travel back prior to their own lifetime's period is that we are literally living in a Golden Age. If we were to compare the living standards of the average middle class person in a 1st world country around the world to that of royalty from the middle ages or before, the living standards of the middle class would be much higher for the most part.

Media tends to focus on the negative because that is what sells. But even with the many issues facing our society, we are still in a Golden Age even if it may have some patina on it.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
James Y

Post by James Y »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:59 pm
All these pages of posts and it appears that NO ONE has posited whether they could take their favorite Spyderco or two with them when they go back in time or not. LOL

What is hilarious is that we are who we are based upon the tapestry of our lives and the culmination of all of the decisions, good and bad, that we have made. If we were to go back and do things differently, we would no longer be who we are. So even if we wanted to change things, it would create a paradox that would then fracture timelines themselves.

The other thing people don't realize is that if they were to travel back prior to their own lifetime's period is that we are literally living in a Golden Age. If we were to compare the living standards of the average middle class person in a 1st world country around the world to that of royalty from the middle ages or before, the living standards of the middle class would be much higher for the most part.

Media tends to focus on the negative because that is what sells. But even with the many issues facing our society, we are still in a Golden Age even if it may have some patina on it.

Thanks for sharing.

TBH, if someone took a Spyderco to the past (let's use a Salt as an example), depending on the location and time period, they would most likely be accused of witchcraft, and be dealt with accordingly.

Yes, as challenging things are in this modern society today (an understatement), this is truly a golden age. For instance, not long ago in the past. I wouldn't be able to have an online business.

As far as time travel affecting timelines, there are some people who talk about The Mandela Effect, where things that people always remembered as being a certain way turn out to be different. I personally don't know if these are just cases of mass mis-remembering or not, or if it's possible that alternate timelines have already been opened.

One famous example is in the original Disney movie Snow White, the evil witch saying what MANY people (including myself) always remembered as, "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?" When in fact she says, "Magic mirror on the wall..."

I, like many people, clearly remembered hearing it as "mirror, mirror on the wall." I would have known the difference between "mirror, mirror" and "magic mirror." This is only one example of what are often cited as examples of The Mandela Effect.

So has an alternate timeline been opened up at some point, or was this just a mass hallucination? I'm not saying yea or nay.

The fact is, IF government agencies ever (or already have) acquired the ability to time travel, they would do it regardless of it opening alternate timelines. They wouldn't care about any potential harm it could create. The vast majority of people on this planet would never even notice, anyway.

Jim
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Nope. Best not to mess with things we shouldn’t know about
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
earthman

Post by earthman »

I'd like to go back to a time when folk had common sense at least, knew that taking experimental injections was not a good idea for example.
I along with some others did try so hard to warn friends, family and work colleagues, sadly many didn't listen and are now either dead or been left with serious health issues.