If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:55 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:45 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:12 pm
How Far Back in Time Could an English Speaker Go and Still Communicate Effectively?
….

Jim
That’s quite an interesting video! I think you would be better off learning Latin as a time traveller, as you could always find a member of the clergy - or a Roman! - to communicate with.

U.K. accents are becoming less problematic over time, but dialects and colloquialisms still vary widely. It usually doesn’t take long to “tune-in”.

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

When my mom and my aunt went to visit Japan for the first time in 1984, they spoke some Japanese that they had learned in a Japanese-language school in Los Angeles in the 1930s. They had been born here. When they visited relatives in Japan for the first time and spoke in Japanese, they were understood, but were told their Japanese was very good but archaic Japanese. It was a more formalized, old-fashioned manner of speaking. Sort of like if an educated person from the eastern United States in the late 1800s to early 1900s time traveled to modern times and spoke English; they would be understood, but their manner of speech would seem a bit strange. Because spoken languages are always changing with the times in the countries where they are spoken, for better or for worse.

Jim
That’s interesting, Jim.
Manners of speech can be a minefield, particularly in rigid societies. Like the complicated house and table manners in Victorian times, they’re used to catch out incomers and maintain class hierarchies.
Regional accents were (are?) considered “working class” here, and so anyone seeking to “improve” themselves, particularly in broadcasting, management or professional spheres, would learn to lose their accent and adopt Received Pronunciation (i.e. talk like the King), or be disadvantaged, at least well until the 1980’s.
Chris
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:20 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:55 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:45 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:12 pm
How Far Back in Time Could an English Speaker Go and Still Communicate Effectively?
….

Jim
That’s quite an interesting video! I think you would be better off learning Latin as a time traveller, as you could always find a member of the clergy - or a Roman! - to communicate with.

U.K. accents are becoming less problematic over time, but dialects and colloquialisms still vary widely. It usually doesn’t take long to “tune-in”.

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

When my mom and my aunt went to visit Japan for the first time in 1984, they spoke some Japanese that they had learned in a Japanese-language school in Los Angeles in the 1930s. They had been born here. When they visited relatives in Japan for the first time and spoke in Japanese, they were understood, but were told their Japanese was very good but archaic Japanese. It was a more formalized, old-fashioned manner of speaking. Sort of like if an educated person from the eastern United States in the late 1800s to early 1900s time traveled to modern times and spoke English; they would be understood, but their manner of speech would seem a bit strange. Because spoken languages are always changing with the times in the countries where they are spoken, for better or for worse.

Jim
That’s interesting, Jim.
Manners of speech can be a minefield, particularly in rigid societies. Like the complicated house and table manners in Victorian times, they’re used to catch out incomers and maintain class hierarchies.
Regional accents were (are?) considered “working class” here, and so anyone seeking to “improve” themselves, particularly in broadcasting, management or professional spheres, would learn to lose their accent and adopt Received Pronunciation (i.e. talk like the King), or be disadvantaged, at least well until the 1980’s.
Chris

Thanks, Chris.

Regarding regional accents and dialects, that sounds similar to here in the States. For example, anyone wanting to be a TV news broadcaster is expected to adopt the "standard American accent." I'm sure there are some exceptions in some smaller, local/regional TV news stations. But if they want to be on national TV, they have to drop the regional accent.

Back when I studied acting, my main acting coach was from Texas and had a heavy Texan accent. BUT, you would never know that, because he adopted a standard American accent for acting, and that's how he spoke when he taught classes. Otherwise, he said, he would never be taken seriously for acting roles, other than as a "hick" (his word, not mine), and at best be typecast as a hick or a hillbilly; and at worst, he wouldn't get hired at all.

That's interesting about the Received Pronunciation. I studied and practiced British Received Pronunciation when I was doing the acting thing, just for fun, and to develop a special skill to add to my then-resume. I became not bad at it, but it was probably lucky for me that I never had to use it, though. I was able to do it well with pre-written dialog, but would not have been able to improvise with it, like a natural speaker.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

10 Gross Wild West Hygiene Routines (Documentary)

https://youtu.be/YULUzVmtSNc?si=eXpyma2SE7J54v14

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:52 am

Jim

Jim,

Yup and there are plenty of morons and ignorant people who want everything to return to that time and even earlier.

There is defiantly a current movement to take us back to the dark ages or worse. :eye-roll

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:31 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Yup and there are plenty of morons and ignorant people who want everything to return to that time and even earlier.

There is defiantly a current movement to take us back to the dark ages or worse. :eye-roll

Jim
+1
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yes, back to "The good ol' days, when men were men and women were women," etc. They want it, until they have to actually live it. If those people were transported in a time machine back to those times and were left there, they would be BEGGING to come back to modern times. I don't care how "off the grid" they consider themselves to be.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:17 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yes, back to "The good ol' days, when men were men and women were women," etc. They want it, until they have to actually live it. If those people were transported in a time machine back to those times and were left there, they would be BEGGING to come back to modern times. I don't care how "off the grid" they consider themselves to be.

Jim

Jim,

These people, preppers (And other idiots) don't live in the real world and their idea of perfect situation (DREAM) would be their worst nightmare. Only they have no clue what it is they are really asking for.

It would be far worse than they could even possibly imagine.

If they weren't so ignorant they might have a clue. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

These people, preppers (And other idiots) don't live in the real world and their idea of perfect situation (DREAM) would be their worst nightmare. Only they have no clue what it is they are really asking for.

Jim

Jim,

I think a lot of that comes down to mistaking Hollywood's presentations of the old west for the real old west. Even the much better living conditions back east at the time would be considered intolerable to most people nowadays.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

I think a lot of that comes down to mistaking Hollywood's presentations of the old west for the real old west. Even the much better living conditions back east at the time would be considered intolerable to most people nowadays.

Jim

Jim,

Even in the cities back east things were nasty, smelly, disease spreading places back then.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jim,

In that last video, I imagine the narrator looking like Michael Gough, sitting in a recliner near his fireplace, with a book in his hands. It's funny when the narrator says 'stinky' in that formal British accent. I can imagine Michael Gough narrating the part about cowboys riding the trails, saying:

"As the filthy, exhausted cowboys rode into the windswept town on their magnificent steeds, their saddle sore bottoms reeked of smelly poo-poo."

😂

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:36 pm
Jim,

In that last video, I imagine the narrator looking like Michael Gough, sitting in a recliner near his fireplace, with a book in his hands. It's funny when the narrator says 'stinky' in that formal British accent. I can imagine Michael Gough narrating the part about cowboys riding the trails, saying:

"As the filthy, exhausted cowboys rode into the windswept town on their magnificent steeds, their saddle sore bottoms reeked of smelly poo-poo."

😂

Jim

Jim,

But that's when men were men and women loved it (Or so the saying goes). LOL :rofl

Or so the sold fantasy and or dream world that is sold to so many delusional people these days.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mercy, when I was young I remember something or another on TV talkin about the good ole days back in the late 40's & thru the 50's and maybe further I can't remember but, I distinctly remember daddy blurting out " good ole days, ****!"
Lol, he than began tellin me why they were full of chit....
Lol, I'm just fine right where I am with my TV, recliner, soft bed, running water, truck, .....you get the picture 😃
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:02 pm
Mercy, when I was young I remember something or another on TV talkin about the good ole days back in the late 40's & thru the 50's and maybe further I can't remember but, I distinctly remember daddy blurting out " good ole days, ****!"
Lol, I'm just fine right where I am with my TV, recliner, soft bed, running water, truck, .....you get the picture 😃

Yeah, the good old days really were not the good old days, not really. ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:53 pm
James Y wrote:
Jim,

😂

Jim

Jim,

But that's when men were men and women loved it (Or so the saying goes). LOL :rofl

Or so the sold fantasy and or dream world that is sold to so many delusional people these days.

Jim

I would imagine that many of the 'soiled doves' didn't smell a whole lot better than the men. Only minus the heavy dirt, and engulfed in cheap perfume.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren wrote:

Lots of people watching Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, etc., etc., and imagining that era as real life in a 'magical' utopia.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:40 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Jim,

😂

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I would imagine that many of the 'soiled doves' didn't smell a whole lot better than the men. Only minus the heavy dirt, and engulfed in cheap perfume.

Jim

Jim,

Oh yeah I bet. :O

Likely smell them from 50 feet away with a green cloud following behind them. :rofl

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:43 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Lots of people watching Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, etc., etc., and imagining that era as real life in a 'magical' utopia.

Jim
Jim,

With June Cleaver vacuuming and doing housework in a dress and heels.

Yeah SURE.... :shush

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:44 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Jim,

😂

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Likely smell them from 50 feet away with a green cloud following behind them. :rofl

Jim

🤣

I admit to watching Gunsmoke, and I can enjoy it without taking it as realistic. I like a few western movies, too, but don't believe that life in the wild west was really the way it's presented. It's called suspension of disbelief. Something that many people today seem incapable of.

Some people want society to go back to the 1950s. These are people saying it on social media. If it really happened, they'd be lost. They couldn't function without the constant stimulation of social media, smartphones, etc. Not to mention the extreme culture shock that would result.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:54 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:44 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

🤣

I admit to watching Gunsmoke, and I can enjoy it without taking it as realistic. I like a few western movies, too, but don't believe that life in the wild west was really the way it's presented. It's called suspension of disbelief. Something that many people today seem incapable of.

Some people want society to go back to the 1950s. These are people saying it on social media. If it really happened, they'd be lost. They couldn't function without the constant stimulation of social media, smartphones, etc. Not to mention the extreme culture shock that would result.

Jim

Jim,

I see it too, and these people are delusional to say the least.

And it's farther back than the 1950's though. ;)

I see 1970's, 1960's and then back to 1787... and before...

And they let these people procreate... :eye-roll

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:46 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:43 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Jim
Jim,

With June Cleaver vacuuming and doing housework in a dress and heels.

Yeah SURE.... :shush

Jim

Oops, I has missed this post earlier...

Remember images from the 1950s (maybe even on those shows) where men were mowing the lawn in a dress shirt and tie (or a suit and tie)?

Jim