Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by nerdlock »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm
The sticker refers to the Slysz Bowie being (in many people’s opinion) the Spyderco GOAT (greatest of all time).

As much as I am loud (too loud, perhaps) on bringing back the OG Bowie with the new improvements (which technically, would make it a "new"/different Bowie than the OG, if that's what's keeping Spyderco from releasing it again)... I sincerely don't think the Bowie is Spyderco's Greatest of all Time knife.

Such an absolute statement would preclude any further "Great" designs from Sal and Company. Just some random social media hype.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
fixall

Post by fixall »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 pm
There's speculation over on the Millie, PM2, Para3 group on FB that the pivot screw is made to accept Torx Plus bits rather than the standard Torx. I checked mine using a T8 Wiha bit and the fit is a bit loose. T9 is too large.

Just wanted to mention it here before somebody stripped their pivot screw using the (possibly) wrong type of bit.

image.png
I have multiple full sets of both torx and torx plus.

The Torx Plus 7 is too small, and the Torx Plus 8 is too large. The Torx 8 is definitely the best fit.

It seems Spyderco decided to load up the pivot with red loctite for some reason. I can’t say that I’m very pleased about it considering I just stripped the ever loving crap out of my pivot, and that was using PB Swiss Torx bits which are a considerable step up from wiha. 😡

I have both KnifeJoy Slysz Bowie releases and red loctite definitely wasn’t on the previous generation.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm
The sticker refers to the Slysz Bowie being (in many people’s opinion) the Spyderco GOAT (greatest of all time).

As much as I am loud (too loud, perhaps) on bringing back the OG Bowie with the new improvements (which technically, would make it a "new"/different Bowie than the OG, if that's what's keeping Spyderco from releasing it again)... I sincerely don't think the Bowie is Spyderco's Greatest of all Time knife.

Such an absolute statement would preclude any further "Great" designs from Sal and Company. Just some random social media hype.
The bowie is definetly not the goat in my eyes. For me personally that is the original c95 Manix hands down. Also in the fancy department the bowie is nothing against the Nirvana.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wait am I not a loyal spydie guy if I don't have a slysz bowie? Guess I need to drop coin next time they are in stock.
Stay sharp!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 am
Wait am I not a loyal spydie guy if I don't have a slysz bowie? Guess I need to drop coin next time they are in stock.
Remember the hype surrounding this knife is largely an appeal to popularity. You do not need to be part of a the most recent trend to qualify yourself as a “loyal Spydie guy.”
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Edit - double post
-Nick :bug-red
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

fixall wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:37 am
riclaw wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 pm
There's speculation over on the Millie, PM2, Para3 group on FB that the pivot screw is made to accept Torx Plus bits rather than the standard Torx. I checked mine using a T8 Wiha bit and the fit is a bit loose. T9 is too large.

Just wanted to mention it here before somebody stripped their pivot screw using the (possibly) wrong type of bit.

image.png
I have multiple full sets of both torx and torx plus.

The Torx Plus 7 is too small, and the Torx Plus 8 is too large. The Torx 8 is definitely the best fit.

It seems Spyderco decided to load up the pivot with red loctite for some reason. I can’t say that I’m very pleased about it considering I just stripped the ever loving crap out of my pivot, and that was using PB Swiss Torx bits which are a considerable step up from wiha. 😡

I have both KnifeJoy Slysz Bowie releases and red loctite definitely wasn’t on the previous generation.

I'm sorry to hear that. It certainly makes me nervous.

Just to be clear: Is the Torx 8 the correct fit, or merely the best fit among bad alternatives?

Thanks.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Is the knife joy exclusive bowie gone for good or is it going to be a full time production piece now?
Stay sharp!
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:54 am
Is the knife joy exclusive bowie gone for good or is it going to be a full time production piece now?

It appears to be a limited production run. I say "appears" because, so far, they have done this:

1) The First Drop. One per customer. February 29.

2) An opportunity for KnifeJoy+ members to buy again. March 8.

3) Another limited release, which ended today at 8:00 a.m. CMT.

I gather from this that the run has been slow to sell out. Will there be yet another release from this batch in the coming days? I guess you'll have to get over to the KnifeJoy site to find out.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Knife Joy did one run in 2021 with a promise for a second run in the future.

Knife Joy did a second run in 2024. They seem to have released them in two batches to manage demand. They did a later release of their reserve stock after that via a lottery.

They were smart and held reserve stock for the unlikely event someone got a knife with a defect. Then after a reasonable pause those went up for sale.

So far I don't think anyone has seen anything about a 3rd run.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Danke wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:14 am
Knife Joy did one run in 2021 with a promise for a second run in the future.

Knife Joy did a second run in 2024. They seem to have released them in two batches to manage demand. They did a later release of their reserve stock after that via a lottery.

They were smart and held reserve stock for the unlikely event someone got a knife with a defect. Then after a reasonable pause those went up for sale.

So far I don't think anyone has seen anything about a 3rd run.
Well I guess I missed out yet again. Oh well.
Stay sharp!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well they did modernize it so there's a sign that it might live on.

fixall

Post by fixall »

Seems to be a T8. My Wiha bits have a tiny amount of slop, but my PB Swiss T8 fits it as tightly as it fits any of my other T8 pivots. It’s the permanent loctite that seems to be the issue. It took a shockingly low amount of torque to partially strip the pivot too.

I can’t imagine this was intended. The previous generation was able to be dissembled easily.
IMG_1008.jpeg
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:47 pm
Seems to be a T8. My Wiha bits have a tiny amount of slop, but my PB Swiss T8 fits it as tightly as it fits any of my other T8 pivots. It’s the permanent loctite that seems to be the issue. It took a shockingly low amount of torque to partially strip the pivot too.

I can’t imagine this was intended. The previous generation was able to be dissembled easily.

IMG_1008.jpeg
Thanks, fixall. I tried my Wiha T8, but I didn't feel confident. Are you using the L-wrench PB Swiss? Maybe you could send me a link to where I could buy a set.

On the other matter, how does one deal with the Locktite issue? Will heating it up, maybe with a hairdryer, do any good?
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm
fixall wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:47 pm

IMG_1008.jpeg
Thanks, fixall. I tried my Wiha T8, but I didn't feel confident. Are you using the L-wrench PB Swiss? Maybe you could send me a link to where I could buy a set.

On the other matter, how does one deal with the Locktite issue? Will heating it up, maybe with a hairdryer, do any good?
I have a few PB Swiss T wrenches, but those are mainly for my saws/drills/grinders. I use their bits with a few different drivers I’ve acquired over the years and a Skiff FingerBit.

I have a few full sets of their bits and have purchased them all from tool lady.

https://toollady.com/store/C6-400-Torx- ... -p66059695

They even make a spanner bit that fits the Hinderer XM-18 pivots quite well.

As far as loosening the loctite, I’ve always used heat, but Spyderco doesn’t recommend that. They recommend that you tap the back end of a driver to “shock” the agent free.

I haven’t given that a go just yet as I figured I’d contact Spyderco soon to see if they are able to offer help before I just go at it myself and machine a new titanium pivot.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

@fixall Thank you and keep us posted.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

The shock treatment has worked for me before on a different model.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

apollo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am
The bowie is definetly not the goat in my eyes.
Same here. I handled the original, and did not particularly like the wide blade with upswept belly. The whole design left me a bit underwhelmed to be honest, even though the execution and materials were nice. Different strokes for different folks.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 am
apollo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am
The bowie is definetly not the goat in my eyes.
Same here. I handled the original, and did not particularly like the wide blade with upswept belly. The whole design left me a bit underwhelmed to be honest, even though the execution and materials were nice. Different strokes for different folks.
That's what basically everybody thought when the knife came out... the market decided "Meh, bland, overpriced, pass", it didn't sell, Spyderco discontinued it. And than the Shabazz thing happened (I like Nick, don't get me wrong), other influencers quickly hopped the hype train and knife social media kind of went berserk.

And now we're left with just the hype, some hype believers and people, who are buying an overpriced hyped knife to sell it to hype believers for ridicoulous amounts of money.

It's actually funny (and a little bit sad), but it tells you a lot about small markets, social media marketing and scarcity, and consumerism... :zany
notorious fidgeteer
fixall

Post by fixall »

Spyderco returned my call today. The gentleman was very brusque... And almost seemed annoyed with me? I was a little bewildered as I thought the message I had left was very respectful.

First he informed me that he didn't think there had been any changes to the pivot of KnifeJoy exclusive Slysz Bowie 1st gen and 2nd gen release. I informed him that I had both a 1st gen release, and a 2nd gen release both on hand and that the pivot seemed to be much more shallow on the second gen (which others have also reported), and that there are also reports of red/permeant loctite being used. Then he questioned me about why I, or anyone else would want to take the knife apart to begin with. I let him know I like to replace the lube with KPL.

In the end he told me to send the knife in. I asked specifically if the pivot could be removed and replaced with a new one and was told yes... So it sounds like they can help. I'm glad I won't have to resort to destructive means and replacing the pivot.

When I got off the phone I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, so I measured the pivot depth of both knives with a set of Mitutoyo calipers. On the 1st gen. KJ release I get a repeatable depth of .235". On the 2nd gen. KJ release I get a repeatable depth of .017".

I think this video shows off the issue much better though. The first bit is a Wiha T8 Torx. The second bit is a higher end, PB Swiss T8 Torx. The first gen is on the left, and the second gen is on the right.

I'd love to here @sal's thoughts on this.