Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Barmoley

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Barmoley »

I had the original, tried it, nice knife, but it wasn’t popular and wasn’t selling. Sold it for $260 all in (shipping, insurance, pp fees) and it took about a day. At the time many were hanging around on secondary market and dealer sites not selling. Then spyderco stopped making it and almost overnight it jumped to $400-$450 on secondary market and went up since. So a good knife in my opinion, but wasn’t popular at all when in production. You could understand spyderco hesitation since something else would need to be bumped to produce this knife in large numbers. On a side note I would also like for this to come in something else than m390. K390, MagnaCut, s90v would all be my preferences over m390, but m390 is ok too lacking other choices.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:53 pm
I'm sorry, but it just seems that the management is too obstinate to see that the demand is there, but too proud to admit that, because "it didn't sell well the first time so we gotta stand by what we said that there won't be another run" despite sales figures and afi clamor showing another OG run is feasible.

We still do not know the reason why it will not be brought back to the line of current models. All we know is that one person said he had one conversation with Eric. I haven't spoken to Eric, and my red Bat phone that goes directly to Sal doesn't seem to be working.
Danke

Post by Danke »

The minute it was announced people would start complaining about the price.

Making a special knife for people who missed out is not obstinacy. A dog will only let itself be kicked so many times.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Barmoley wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:56 pm
On a side note I would also like for this to come in something else than m390. K390, MagnaCut, s90v would all be my preferences over m390, but m390 is ok too lacking other choices.

With all due respect, you and the "It's all FOMO" people are leaving something out: It's a Marcin Slysz. It has features, including the steel, that were spec-ed by the designer. People — some people — buy it because it's a Slysz. I already have the Spydie Chef and the Swayback.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Barmoley wrote:
On a side note I would also like for this to come in something else than m390. K390, MagnaCut, s90v would all be my preferences over m390, but m390 is ok too lacking other choices.
x2 With the m390 steel I would have bought it knowing it was always going to be a catch and release knife. I do appreciate just how stainless m390 is, but if that's my priority I'd rather have S110V.
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:39 pm
Barmoley wrote:

With all due respect, you and the "It's all FOMO" people are leaving something out: It's a Marcin Slysz. It has features, including the steel, that were spec-ed by the designer. People — some people — buy it because it's a Slysz. I already have the Spydie Chef and the Swayback.
I am not saying it is all FOMO, I think it is a good knife as are swayback and spydie chef. I even bought this version to see how different from the original it is. I’ve also had the other two. I don’t know the story of this one, but the original was made with XHP not m390. Like I said m390 is fine, I would just prefer a different steel from the steels offered by spyderco because I like their attributes better for my use. I also think that it is insane to pay what people pay for the original one, but that’s just me. My point really was that spyderco is a business and since the original didn’t sell well when it was in production it is understandable why spyderco cancelled regular production.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It's not all FOMO. We can't really speak about FOMO in this forum where most people are afis. Many of us will buy 5 or 10 knives from every reveal.

However, i frequent groups of 10k people that went crazy on this because a good numbers of "known people" shared the KJ exclusive drop 10 times before the date saying the GOAT was coming back and everyone had to be ready. This counts for something.

If this knife is called the goat by many, there's a big reason. It is the goat for a LOT of people. Including me, sort of 😁.

I'm just not sure why we start arguing over a decision that we simply are not the ones to take.

The door is still open for other exclusives and sprint-runs, I think thats a win for whoever will want one. Especially since the M390 version will become more affordable on the secondary.

I'd love a Slysz Bowie 2, like the Techno 2. Because that blade finish can't be matched 😁😁

Marcín Slysz Fat Bowie is an excellent design, and the guy keeps evolving. His knives are work of art
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:33 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:53 pm
I'm sorry, but it just seems that the management is too obstinate to see that the demand is there, but too proud to admit that, because "it didn't sell well the first time so we gotta stand by what we said that there won't be another run" despite sales figures and afi clamor showing another OG run is feasible.
We still do not know the reason why it will not be brought back to the line of current models. All we know is that one person said he had one conversation with Eric. I haven't spoken to Eric, and my red Bat phone that goes directly to Sal doesn't seem to be working.

True, the discussion was kinda public by the way since i asked him at the Amsterdam Meet. He did not say much except that it did not sell well the first time around. Him mentionning one reason does not make it the only one, for sure.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Danke

Post by Danke »

This just in Slysz Bowie is in the running to be the 50th anniversary knife. Greatest Knife in History!
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Many on the forum resent the Slysz Bowie because of the price. If I remember my ECON 101 class correctly, price is driven by demand. See what's going on here? "I can't afford one, so it's not such a great life." Or "If only it had S110V. Then, it would be . . . a knife that I still can't afford."

For many people, their first consideration when buying a knife (or watch, or car, or gun) is "What will the resale value be when I get rid of it?" This always seemed strange to me.
Danke

Post by Danke »

The flipper price is demand driven for sure but the MSRP is driven by the cost. Just compare it to other knives with shaped Ti scales and a nicer steel blade. It's going to be $400-500. It won't cost less than a Techno.

People are complaining about the price of the current release when it's a dealer exclusive so since a one off not subject to MAP. If it's a current production model the price goes up.
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:55 am
Many on the forum resent the Slysz Bowie because of the price. If I remember my ECON 101 class correctly, price is driven by demand. See what's going on here? "I can't afford one, so it's not such a great life." Or "If only it had S110V. Then, it would be . . . a knife that I still can't afford."

For many people, their first consideration when buying a knife (or watch, or car, or gun) is "What will the resale value be when I get rid of it?" This always seemed strange to me.
I don't think anyone is arguing that price is driven by demand. Some people just question what drives the demand in this case, of course this is outside of the econ 101 curriculum. Subjectively this is not a $700-$800+ knife as is the price for the original on secondary market. $450 dealer exclusive price is fine. Objectively, the price is what it is, as long as it sells well the price is correct. Higher prices for knives are more of a norm now as opposed to 2016-2017 when the original was not selling well. It might be a good time to reintroduce it, but it is understandable why Spyderco would be cautious since the original failed to sell well. Small, hyped up drops selling well don't mean that regular production will sell well after a few who really want these knives buy some. My understanding is that with dealer exclusives the financial risk is on the dealer not Spyderco, unlike the regular production.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Barmoley wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:33 am
I don't think anyone is arguing that price is driven by demand. Some people just question what drives the demand in this case, of course this is outside of the econ 101 curriculum. Subjectively this is not a $700-$800+ knife as is the price for the original on secondary market. $450 dealer exclusive price is fine. Objectively, the price is what it is, as long as it sells well the price is correct. Higher prices for knives are more of a norm now as opposed to 2016-2017 when the original was not selling well. It might be a good time to reintroduce it, but it is understandable why Spyderco would be cautious since the original failed to sell well. Small, hyped up drops selling well don't mean that regular production will sell well after a few who really want these knives buy some. My understanding is that with dealer exclusives the financial risk is on the dealer not Spyderco, unlike the regular production.

Two Unrelated Questions:

1) I wonder how many knives have to be ordered to make a dealer excluse worthwhile for Spyderco.

2) Is the Large Sebenza 31 worth $500-$750? It seems to me that the plain-handled Large Sebenza 31 at $500 is giving you less than the Slysz Bowie at $449, even when you account for MagnaCut vs. M390 (Note: Large Sebenza 31 at $500 sells out in a day.)
Danke

Post by Danke »

• Win Lottery
  • Commission Knife Run
  • ?
  • Profit
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 am
Barmoley wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:33 am

Two Unrelated Questions:

1) I wonder how many knives have to be ordered to make a dealer excluse worthwhile for Spyderco.

2) Is the Large Sebenza 31 worth $500-$750? It seems to me that the plain-handled Large Sebenza 31 at $500 is giving you less than the Slysz Bowie at $449, even when you account for MagnaCut vs. M390 (Note: Large Sebenza 31 at $500 sells out in a day.)
1. No idea.
2. I've repeatedly said $450 for Slysz Bowie is a fine price and inline with other, similar knives. I would prefer a different steel, but that's just personal preference. As far as Sebenza 31 vs Slysz Bowie and which gives you more. I have no opinion as both are fine knives and similar enough that talking about minute differences is silly. As long as both work well and give you what you need and want pick the one you like more.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Barmoley wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:56 am

1. No idea.
2. I've repeatedly said $450 for Slysz Bowie is a fine price and inline with other, similar knives. I would prefer a different steel, but that's just personal preference. As far as Sebenza 31 vs Slysz Bowie and which gives you more. I have no opinion as both are fine knives and similar enough that talking about minute differences is silly. As long as both work well and give you what you need and want pick the one you like more.

My reply-with-quote implied that it was directed at you. Sorry. I meant it as a general address to the forum at large.

I like the Plain Jane Large Sebenza 31 and was about to get one when the KnifeJoy Slysz Bowie presented itself. I'll get one next time. I think the Slysz Bowie offers more because it is by a major designer and offers a design concept that is original and attractive. Chris Reeve may be a major designer, but the Large Sebenza 31 has all of the aesthetic value of a steel shovel. It is beautifully engineered. It is beautifully utilitarian. But this isn't the girl that I'm leaving my wife for.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I believe it was a combination of a few conveniently timed events that first lead to the drastic increase in overall demand for this knife. As the industry was growing, Nick Shabaz was a very popular video creator. This knife, as great as it is, wasn’t such a popular seller. Nick Shabaz eventually endorsed the Bowie as Spyderco’s greatest knife ever. While that did help drive some sales, it was still discontinued somewhat shortly after. That is when the demand really skyrocketed.

So in short, a great knife plus Nick Shabaz’s endorsement as the greatest plus FOMO with a dash of an appeal to popularity, it all comes together to equal the extraordinary demand we see for this knife today. That’s my theory at least.

I believe the current demand for this particular exclusive is largely driven by FOMO. In some ways “sprint runs” and “dealer exclusives” are just fancy ways of utilizing FOMO marketing. (“Get it now before it’s gone!”) That’s not to take anything away from the knife itself, it’s still a great knife from a very talented designer. I would just question how many buyers are truly buying it “for the knife” opposed to just buying into the trendy hype surrounding it and/or it’s potential resale value.

There are a few reasons why the original version of this knife sells for so much now but it’s mostly because of collector value. Nothing about the knife intrinsically makes it worth $800+, it’s just rare now. There is only a certain amount of them out there and they’re not making them anymore. Devout collectors are most likely the only ones paying those prices. It’s the same reason why a Mickey Mantle rookie card is worth so much today.

:respect :bug-white
Mister Coffee wrote:
Two Unrelated Questions:

The limit used to be as low as 400 pieces for a run but a few years ago it caught up to them. Such short runs were selling out too fast and they were effectively being overwhelmed with dealer exclusive orders. They had to both put a freeze on accepting new exclusive orders and increase the production minimum per order. I don’t know if the current production minimum is public at the moment but it is well over 400 pieces.
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I very much agree with all of that mushroom ^
:bug-red-white
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:59 pm
I believe it was a combination of a few conveniently timed events that first lead to the drastic increase in overall demand for this knife. As the industry was growing, Nick Shabaz was a very popular video creator. This knife, as great as it is, wasn’t such a popular seller. Nick Shabaz eventually endorsed the Bowie as Spyderco’s greatest knife ever. While that did help drive some sales, it was still discontinued somewhat shortly after. That is when the demand really skyrocketed.

So in short, a great knife plus Nick Shabaz’s endorsement as the greatest plus FOMO with a dash of an appeal to popularity, it all comes together to equal the extraordinary demand we see for this knife today. That’s my theory at least.

I believe the current demand for this particular exclusive is largely driven by FOMO. In some ways “sprint runs” and “dealer exclusives” are just fancy ways of utilizing FOMO marketing. (“Get it now before it’s gone!”) That’s not to take anything away from the knife itself, it’s still a great knife from a very talented designer. I would just question how many buyers are truly buying it “for the knife” opposed to just buying into the trendy hype surrounding it and/or it’s potential resale value.

There are a few reasons why the original version of this knife sells for so much now but it’s mostly because of collector value. Nothing about the knife intrinsically makes it worth $800+, it’s just rare now. There is only a certain amount of them out there and they’re not making them anymore. Devout collectors are most likely the only ones paying those prices. It’s the same reason why a Mickey Mantle rookie card is worth so much today.

:respect :bug-white
Mister Coffee wrote:
Two Unrelated Questions:

The limit used to be as low as 400 pieces for a run but a few years ago it caught up to them. Such short runs were selling out too fast and they were effectively being overwhelmed with dealer exclusive orders. They had to both put a freeze on accepting new exclusive orders and increase the production minimum per order. I don’t know if the current production minimum is public at the moment but it is well over 400 pieces.

Good post, 'Shroomy. I love Mickey Mantle. A flat-out drunk, but a sweet hitter.

While I love Nick Shabazz (and, for example, in the tequila field, Lou Agave), YouTube as a hype platform is both powerful and dangerous. It's gotten so that legitimate 'Tubers can't say anything without the lemmings and "follower" generations ("Follow me on X (formerly Twitter)") jumping on it with a vengeance. Nick's enthusiasm may have gotten away from him a little with the Slysz Bowie, but it's not just opinion that you are getting. He does an analysis, gives reasons and makes an argument. I appreciate that he is thoughtful, intelligent and has taken the time and made the effort to acquire expertise. But that notwithstanding, if he (or anyone) says something is "the best," then every mindless idiot with a smartphone is going to start their own YouTube channel and repeat it. It's a shame.

With regard to sprint runs, I had it in my head that it would be difficult for a factory to "tool up" for a knife like the Slysz Bowie, but may it isn't.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:02 pm

[...]

With regard to sprint runs, I had it in my head that it would be difficult for a factory to "tool up" for a knife like the Slysz Bowie, but may it isn't.
I might not understand the question but if there is ever a sprint-run, it would be made by the same factory that made all the runs. Taïchung