Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mister Coffee

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Mister Coffee »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:02 am
Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:02 pm

[...]

With regard to sprint runs, I had it in my head that it would be difficult for a factory to "tool up" for a knife like the Slysz Bowie, but may it isn't.
I might not understand the question but if there is ever a sprint-run, it would be made by the same factory that made all the runs. Taïchung

I just meant: Is it difficult to set up a production line at a knife factory to produce milled titanium handles and stone-washed CTS XHP when you don't usually manufacture in those materials? Maybe not at Taïchung.
Last edited by Mister Coffee on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Yeah it's difficult. They can't even keep up with production of the regular catalogue never mind an extra high end folder.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Got mine today. I haven't done anything with it yet except look at it and feel it in my hand, but here are some quick first impressions:

It's a nice knife. Very well-made. Good proportions. I love the little things, like the way the lettering on the blade is positioned just above the scales. (Wish they'd done that on the Spydie Chef.) Is it worth the money? For me, it all comes down to the blue anodizing. I thought the surface finish would be glossy, like every other piece of anodized metal that I have seen in my life, but this is porous and grabby-feeling. I'll probably get used to it, but for now, that's my only quibble. If this knife had the OG Slysz Bowie's stone washed finish, there's no question in my mind that it would be worth it. By the way, it comes with a KJ Slysz Bowie Exclusive velcro patch. That's worth something, isn't it?

Note: I hope I haven't posted this "knife review" in the wrong place.
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Sheesch! It's the Slysz!
Attachments
20240306_120945.jpg
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

clinton1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 pm
Sheesch! It's the Slysz!

Yo!

clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:13 pm
clinton1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 pm
Sheesch! It's the Slysz!

Yo!

Sweet! Congrats, man! 🙂
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

clinton1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 pm
Sweet! Congrats, man! 🙂

You, too.

Let's cut something . . . :winking-tongue
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:35 pm
clinton1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 pm
Sweet! Congrats, man! 🙂

You, too.

Let's cut something . . . :winking-tongue
I'M IN!!!! 😁
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Just to add a little context on the price issue: This Microtech sells for $450.00. Maybe the Slysz Bowie is not priced so far out of the current market.

Microtech Matrix Titanium Carbon Fiber Scales Blasted M390 165C-7CFTI

https://www.gpknives.com/microtech-matr ... 7cfti.html
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

The scales do feel different from every other titanium scales I've ever tried. I rather like the nonslip feeling, but I can understand how some would not.

It is also interesting that the color is not uniform but has a different hue in some spots, I am not sure if it is due to the texture of the scales or something else. You can see this in the above picture, especially around the pivot screw.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I would like to own a Slysz Bowie, but I’m not sure if I am willing to battle for sprint or exclusive.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Barmoley wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm
The scales do feel different from every other titanium scales I've ever tried. I rather like the nonslip feeling, but I can understand how some would not.

It is also interesting that the color is not uniform but has a different hue in some spots, I am not sure if it is due to the texture of the scales or something else. You can see this in the above picture, especially around the pivot screw.
That's normal. Once your hand oils touch it, it starts to patina quite quickly. Noticed it with mine when I still had it, within a few days of carrying it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The price gives me pause, but the reason I won't have one is the lack of stonewashed blade finish. :disappointed
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Barmoley wrote:

The porous feeling notwithstanding, I like how it the knife feels in the hand.

Barmoley wrote:

That's dirt. Or contamination. I noticed it right away. They must have used a tool or machine to install those screws, something with a head on it that had something on it like dirt or lube. The "different hue" is perfectly round. When I tried to clean it off with some very benign CLP, I just added more discoloration. I haven't tried alcohol yet. In any case, I'm not worried about it. I was worried, but now I'm not.

By the way, this morning I cut my first piece of paper. Out of the box, the knife is sizzling sharp, almost as sharp as the hollow-ground Swayback. This is my first M390. I'm going to have to go to Larrin's site and read up. I have a 20cv, but I don't know anything about that either.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Mat_ski wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:35 pm
I would like to own a Slysz Bowie, but I’m not sure if I am willing to battle for sprint or exclusive.

I feel you. I thought it was going to be a battle, with the allotment selling out in minutes and/or the site crashing. But it was about 20 mins. before they were all gone. Now, they're on ebay for $650.00.
Barmoley

Post by Barmoley »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:02 pm
Barmoley wrote:

The porous feeling notwithstanding, I like how it the knife feels in the hand.

Barmoley wrote:

That's dirt. Or contamination. I noticed it right away. They must have used a tool or machine to install those screws, something with a head on it that had something on it like dirt or lube. The "different hue" is perfectly round. When I tried to clean it off with some very benign CLP, I just added more discoloration. I haven't tried alcohol yet. In any case, I'm not worried about it. I was worried, but now I'm not.

By the way, this morning I cut my first piece of paper. Out of the box, the knife is sizzling sharp, almost as sharp as the hollow-ground Swayback. This is my first M390. I'm going to have to go to Larrin's site and read up. I have a 20cv, but I don't know anything about that either.

Interesting mine has these discolorations as well in different spots. I’ve never seen anything like this on other titanium scales, but I’ve never had such bright color or such titanium texture. I am not worried, but it is a bit odd on an expensive knife. The knife came sharp and is in general well made. M390 and 20cv are the same steel as is 204p, just produced by different steel manufacturers. It is a good steel, good wear resistance and corrosion resistance. Toughness is nothing special, but in line with other high carbide stainless steels.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Question For Those Who Have Both:

If you have both the OG Slysz Bowie and the KnifeJoy Slysz Bowie, would you say that, aside from the finish, the handles are the same?

Thanks.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

I apologize if it seems like I've gone nuts posting in this thread, but I wanted to add one slightly off-topic observation: Have you noticed that Spyderco's Product Information & Warranty Guides are very well-written? Perhaps you are not concerned with prose style, but these tiny booklets really are nicely done. I appreciate the good writing, and the information and context that they add. This enhances my enjoyment of the knife.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think Mr. Janich does that writing.
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

I received mine Monday and have been carrying it all week. Couple of observations. The “porous and grabby feeling” of the scales has almost disappeared. I carry it clipped to the same pocket I carry my keys and titanium pen and the scales are now full of snail trails and seem to have less of that grippy feel. This is in no way a complaint, if anything I like the smoother feel more. The ergonomics fit my smallish hands perfectly and it is super comfortable both in the pocket and in hand.

Now for one minor complaint. After using it for a couple of days the opening and closing began to sound a bit gritty and not nearly as smooth as it should be. Almost harsh, like metal on metal. I took it apart, wiped everything down with rubbing alcohol, polished the washers with a cape cod cloth a bit, oiled and reassembled. Now I must say it is definitely the smoothest knife on washers I own.

So is it worth the price? For me, yes it absolutely is.