What about a Watu lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes, do the “chaparral treatment” with xhp and frn.
47%
No, I’d prefer different materials (please elaborate.)
20%
No, I don’t like the concept / wouldn’t use it.
33%

Total votes: 15

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Okay hear me out. The watu is already an incredibly light, versatile, compact, and slicey knife. My thought would be to give it the chaparral treatment, grey frn and xhp. It would bring the cost down (I can’t claim to understand pricing fully but I’d expect around 120 if not lower) and make it fill the “lightweight backup slicer” role perfectly. Plus since the existing scales are flat, making frn scales would be somewhat simpler.

I do know some people dislike frn, and several would dislike the the “downgrade” in steel. But I see both frn and xhp as side-grades. Frn is lighter and grippier, and xhp is tougher and easier to maintain. It’s a slightly different role than the original but much more specialized.

Hoping for feedback on this one! This is one of my favorite models and I really just want to see more love for it. Just think about having a convenient slicer in addition to your shaman :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Re: What about a Watu lightweight?

Post by Sumdumguy »

For me, it is perfect as is. If I'm changing anything, it would be the wood or bone handles and a different steel.

But, I can see where you could get away with shaving off a little weight, with how light the blade is.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I like the idea, but I doubt the watu is a good enough seller to justify the molds.

Too many people who can't get over the looks.
WRB

Post by WRB »

I’d likely buy any iteration of the Watu. It is a very underrated knife, IMO. It’s one of my favorites.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

well now we've gotten exactly one post for each option lol.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I hit yes for chap treatment, but I’d buy an FRN watu in any steel really. XHP is great stuff, but 52100 or cruwear sounds awesome as well. Even a more budget minded VG10 would be an instant buy.

Also while we’re changing the watu, I’d like an XL version please :D
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Lumpy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:06 pm
XHP is great stuff, but 52100 or cruwear sounds awesome as well. Even a more budget minded VG10 would be an instant buy.
I agree with the tool steel idea, something tough would work wonders with that fine tip. Also an even cheaper steel like vg-10 (or since it's taichung more likely cts-bd1) would definitely bring the price down more, to the sub 100$ range most likely. I'd be for it but I think xhp or something else standard-ish would be more in line with other Taichung lightweights, as long as they don't use s30v...
Lightly insane.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I really don't care either way but I don't think they need to do a LW version of every model. I think the Watu is cool but probably not one to get a lot of variants JMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like the idea!

FRN for me is the best handle material from a practical point of view, XHP is good stuff, and the Watu offers a Manix edge in Delica size...
Perhapt this version could also get a linerlock?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I love the Watu, but I’m not sure enough people do, to warrant variants.

Correction: I’m not sure enough people have tried it.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

For me, a version with S30v and grippy G10 would work very well. FRN startup costs are very high.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
foofie

Post by foofie »

I would buy any new version, for sure. It is also a favorite of mine, and more variations are welcome.
I would guess that it does not sell in enough volume to be worth making frn molds. That would leave a sprint or exclusive. The good thing - sprints/exclusive could change both the scale materials and the blade steel. Hard to improve on 20CV with such thin stock. Sage1 Maxamet is being made in Taichung now, so one could always hold out for maxamet...

Something like the birdeye maple could be really nice on the Watu. Or the carbon fiber from the Kapara.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm
I actually love that idea, it’s not like that blade needs the lock strength comp locks provide. And cheaper and cheaper we go, not a bad thing at all.
Lightly insane.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm
I actually love that idea, it’s not like that blade needs the lock strength comp locks provide. And cheaper and cheaper we go, not a bad thing at all.

Well, Millie, Resilience, Tenacious and "hard use knives" of other brands imho do show that practically speaking probably almost no folder really needs the certainly evem- more strength a comp.lock provides...

Whenever I come back to the linerlock (like now with my Tenacious) I enjoy how convenient, natural and safe that lock type is in use!
And the lockup certainly feels as solid as with a comp.lock (technically the latter will be even stronger of course).
And the "larger Watu" Chokwee actually came with a linerlock. .. No, with a FRAME lock I think, so in use very similar to a linerlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm
For me, a version with S30v and grippy G10 would work very well. FRN startup costs are very high.
I agree. I don't think the Watu sells enough to warrant the cost of FRN molds. I'd love to see it in VG-10, LC200N, or another highly corrosion resistant steel that's easy to sharpen. Even something like AEB-L or one of the similar Sandvik steels would be interesting. As much as I prefer comp locks and frame locks, I could live with a liner lock on a Watu. Maybe Spyderco could start 3D printing plastic scales to get cost down, and then we'd have a cheap base model sold with the intention of owners replacing the 3D printed scales with aftermarket scales of their choice.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yes for the Chap treatement as long as they keep the grey frn.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red