High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 am
How is this gonna be sold? Like a sprint?
No idea. I imagine like a flash batch or sprint.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:45 pm
Just to check myself, is the current production saber grind vg-10 delica the high performance one from this thread.

The current sabre grind Delica certainly is a cool, super-strong beater knife (I have one myself in combo-edge - can´t kill that blade and especially the extremely durable tip, despite it has just 2.5 mm bladestock)

BUT: I think when it comes to super-slicing-performance it is rather the opposite of what a high and deep (sabre) hollow ground Delica will be...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:12 am

BUT: I think when it comes to super-slicing-performance it is rather the opposite of what a high and deep (sabre) hollow ground Delica will be...
Interesting. What do you mean by opposite?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:10 am
sethwm wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 am
How is this gonna be sold? Like a sprint?
No idea. I imagine like a flash batch or sprint.
Hope it’s not going to be another magnet for flippers.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:12 am

Interesting. What do you mean by opposite?
Just that the sabre grind Delica is a lot, but not exactly "slicey" or it least does not offer a good foundation for this (rather low sabre grind,obtuse primary bevel)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The excitement is still here!
I'm excited everyday, just not always by this Delica!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Seems like the excitement may have waned a bit
...and here I'd been hoping for some fresh information (or at least better informed conjecture) after months of not checking the thread
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Unless there have been Sal bombshells dropped elsewhere regarding the HP Delica, it sure looks like the project has been shelved, or at the least put deeply in to back burner territory.

This makes me sad, since a Delica sized Spyderco with a blade grind akin to the GB1 would be a glorious thing!
Fingers crossed that it still happens, but not really holding my breath either...

I think it's entirely possible that the hitch has turned out to be the blade shape of the Delica, which would force a lower than ideal grind height in order to maintain stock thickness past the mid-point of the blade (just look at the sabre grind versions for reference). A drop point (or even leaf shaped) blade would probably make a much better platform for this project.
Even just switching to the Salt 2 blade shape would give more area to extend the grind height, without compromising the tip for moderately rugged use and that would likely entail only a minor redesign.

Even simpler, release a Dragonfly in VG-10 with the grind from the Salt variant... it's not a Delica, but certainly a high hollow grind in a smaller blade, that could probably be made entirely on existing tooling. If people love that knife and there seems to be sufficient demand, then all the issues with a Delica-esque version could be addressed.
-David

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:52 pm
Unless there have been Sal bombshells dropped elsewhere regarding the HP Delica, it sure looks like the project has been shelved, or at the least put deeply in to back burner territory.

This makes me sad, since a Delica sized Spyderco with a blade grind akin to the GB1 would be a glorious thing!
Fingers crossed that it still happens, but not really holding my breath either...

I think it's entirely possible that the hitch has turned out to be the blade shape of the Delica, which would force a lower than ideal grind height in order to maintain stock thickness past the mid-point of the blade (just look at the sabre grind versions for reference). A drop point (or even leaf shaped) blade would probably make a much better platform for this project.
Even just switching to the Salt 2 blade shape would give more area to extend the grind height, without compromising the tip for moderately rugged use and that would likely entail only a minor redesign.

Even simpler, release a Dragonfly in VG-10 with the grind from the Salt variant... it's not a Delica, but certainly a high hollow grind in a smaller blade, that could probably be made entirely on existing tooling. If people love that knife and there seems to be sufficient demand, then all the issues with a Delica-esque version could be addressed.
Not trying to be a stir stick but this should be easy as heck for the factory considering you are taking a base model, with base FRN, and base VG10 (which I love) and simply adding a more complicated grind. Nothing additional beyond skill and labor is required. Really no reason a few hundred of these aren’t in the works as we speak. Any of us could take a Saber model to a bladesmith and get it done and many here can do it themselves.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I don’t see why there’s any concern.
Things take a little time, that’s all.

I’m certainly still interested.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:36 pm
I don’t see why there’s any concern.
Things take a little time, that’s all.

I’m certainly still interested.
Me too.

It'll get here when it gets here.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:52 pm
Unless there have been Sal bombshells dropped elsewhere regarding the HP Delica, it sure looks like the project has been shelved, or at the least put deeply in to back burner territory...
Has there been mention of this taking longer than expected or running into some kind of problems? I know the K390 to VG10 change was made due to an unexpected issue from the maker.

Running an advanced search, I found this post (6 July 2021) where Sal said he is testing one. And another one (13 August 2021) where it sounds like the HP Delica is still progressing.

Did I miss something where production is, as you say, shelved or put on the deep back burner? This is one I've been hoping for. The second link from above mentioned the HP Delica in the same sentence as the Ayoob and Damasteel Urban. Guess it was wishful thinking that because two of the three knives mentioned are out that the HP Delica would be following shortly.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sal's initial concept of a high performance high hollow ground K390 Delica definitely caught my attention. I have long held a deep appreciation for well executed high hollow grinds like Dozier, Scott Cook, or even Sebenza. When Sal said the manufacturer would not (unwilling/unable?) do a high hollow grind in K390 it was like a cold shower. At this point it would seem that if you want a high performance high hollow ground folder in a modern high performance steel, you will have to look elsewhere. I hope that once the Golden extension is done and they are caught up that they will be able to address this deficit and turn out models with high hollow grinds in high performance contemporary steels.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:32 pm
Sal's initial concept of a high performance high hollow ground K390 Delica definitely caught my attention. I have long held a deep appreciation for well executed high hollow grinds like Dozier, Scott Cook, or even Sebenza. When Sal said the manufacturer would not (unwilling/unable?) do a high hollow grind in K390 it was like a cold shower. At this point it would seem that if you want a high performance high hollow ground folder in a modern high performance steel, you will have to look elsewhere. I hope that once the Golden extension is done and they are caught up that they will be able to address this deficit and turn out models with high hollow grinds in high performance contemporary steels.
Make it in VG10?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:17 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:32 pm
Make it in VG10?
VG-10 is/was their default plan. VG-10 is a mighty fine knife steel; however, in this day and age, it no longer has the ring of top tier or upper echelon super steel to embrace the descriptor "high performance" in the mind of the average Joe.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:26 pm

VG-10 is/was their default plan. VG-10 is a mighty fine knife steel; however, in this day and age, it no longer has the ring of top tier or upper echelon super steel to embrace the descriptor "high performance" in the mind of the average Joe.

I think it places the emphasis more on the blade grind performance, and I think that's the entire point of this idea isn't it? If they're trying to show the advantage of a higher performance grind, then making two Delicas of the same steel but with different grinds makes a fair comparison.

Not saying I wouldn't welcome a different steel but I see value in doing it in VG10 too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I don’t care about the steel, just make it happen. In fact I am glad they dropped the K390, not because I don’t like the steel but because I am tired of taking care if my folders to prevent corrosion. I would use non-stainless steels only in fixed blades.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Awa,

Funny you would bring that up. It was yesterday that we contacted the maker on the model. It's not a matter of "how long the model takes". The maker is also very busy and running at capacity. Mostly making existing models that are also growing in demand. So we're constantly adjusting priorities on models on the "hold" queue. We just asked for the 2023 price on the HP Delica model and we'll be moving it forward in the next few weeks. It will still take a while before you get them, but you will get them. Also it's just a sprint so I'll need to pick quantity in the next few days. Thoughts?

sal
Crox

Post by Crox »

No justification.

Lots of excitement. 😁