High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by p_atrick »

I worry that the rejection of the wharncliffe design may mean the high hollow won't be successful on a larger scale as well. Time will tell, I guess, but I'm still really looking forward to this one.

As an aside, the Delica has really surprised me as being the one knife I like to carry more than most any other. I never really expected that until I got one in hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am
I worry that the rejection of the wharncliffe design may mean the high hollow won't be successful on a larger scale as well. Time will tell, I guess, but I'm still really looking forward to this one.

As an aside, the Delica has really surprised me as being the one knife I like to carry more than most any other. I never really expected that until I got one in hand.

Why do you think so resp. where is the connection between "wharnie" and "high hollow"?

And yes, the Delica still is the best small Spydie to me (considering the Chap to be not small, but small-small ;) )
Slim carry, very light (despite its liners), roomy handle (for its size category), good, strong, but not fat blade stock, fine, but not too fine tip and good, secure lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Why do you think so resp. where is the connection between "wharnie" and "high hollow"?

Okay, that was pretty pessimistic of me. I have no real data on which to base my statement from earlier. We don't see much in the way of hollow grinds in the modern Spydie lineup. So I kinda made a big leap from wharnies (unusual for Spyderco) being pruned from the catalog to other unusual blades (high hollow) getting a similar response from the community. Hope I'm wrong.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I personally don't expect this model to run forever, but enough for everyone knowing about it to grab one (or more!) :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm curious if it is still progressing forward or in a holding pattern. Also, I would be curious if the blade is still planning on being thinned out with the hollow grind or just adding a hollow to the current Delica blade.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm
Hi Sethwm,

We'll know when we get them in. Yes, I am impatiently waiting s well. I think I'll try to profile to 10 DPS on the Galley V. While not for everyone (We have to pay attention to the genera market and not just the Afi's and edge junky's here), A thin edge and "after-edge" is very nice.

sal
Sal, or anyone else who uses the Galley V, how would one go about reprofiling to 10 DPS with that tool? I thought the Galley V had only one slot for 20 DPS. If it has the option to go down to 10DPS I think I might get one!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

RyanY wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:08 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm
Hi Sethwm,

We'll know when we get them in. Yes, I am impatiently waiting s well. I think I'll try to profile to 10 DPS on the Galley V. While not for everyone (We have to pay attention to the genera market and not just the Afi's and edge junky's here), A thin edge and "after-edge" is very nice.

sal
Sal, or anyone else who uses the Galley V, how would one go about reprofiling to 10 DPS with that tool? I thought the Galley V had only one slot for 20 DPS. If it has the option to go down to 10DPS I think I might get one!
The Galley V is 10 DPS, the Gauntlet is 20 DPS.
-Turbo
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Well maybe we'll see this high hollow after the wharncliffes have all been flushed out of the stable. My Spydiesenses are tingling; an expected peek may just be within the next reveal.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wish the Wharncliffes would not have been flushed. It was probably just too many at once, and the general buyers weren't enthused.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:57 am
I wish the Wharncliffes would not have been flushed. It was probably just too many at once, and the general buyers weren't enthused.

And I wish the hp Delica came with a wharnie blade...
I can't wait to get one regardless of the exact blade shape though!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm interested too, but I've been into SE almost exclusively lately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15 am
I'm interested too, but I've been into SE almost exclusively lately.

Same here, SE works better for me in an EDC folder.
But this will be one if the rare PE exceptions, just like the St. Nick Goddard (did not come in SE)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:07 pm
I'm curious if it is still progressing forward or in a holding pattern. Also, I would be curious if the blade is still planning on being thinned out with the hollow grind or just adding a hollow to the current Delica blade.

As mentioned before, still available:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe-w--1561
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

so much fail
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

edit fail
-David

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I did all I could to support the Wharncliffe Delica. I think I've got a 4:1 ratio of Wharncliffe to Leaf shape delicas. A design still ahead of it's time I guess.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:18 am
JSumm wrote:

That is the standard Delica with a saber ground blade. Available since 2006. I was talking about this current thread's topic of the hinted at High Performance Delica.

Am I in the right thread?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:23 pm
awa54 wrote:
JSumm wrote:

That is the standard Delica with a saber ground blade. Available since 2006. I was talking about this current thread's topic of the hinted at High Performance Delica.

My apology, the way you worded the comment, it wasn't totally obvious that "the current Delica blade" you referenced is the FFG variant, especially since the saber grind blade is still "current".

Doing that would add a second grinding and finishing step to the blade manufacture, as well as adding to the required precision of each process.
The simplest road to a thinner edged Delica is probably to increase the radius of the hollow, essentially just stretching the grind of the saber pattern blade up closer to the spine. I guess a variable grind height or distal taper could enhance the strength and/or edge thinness, but that would be a much more costly project... Personally I'm hoping this knife comes in at only a slight premium over standard FFG/VG-10 Delica pricing.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.
-David

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:09 pm
I did all I could to support the Wharncliffe Delica. I think I've got a 4:1 ratio of Wharncliffe to Leaf shape delicas. A design still ahead of it's time I guess.
Same here. I have about 8 user delica/salt wharnies on top of the manbug, dfly, and endela wharnies. plus now a handful of backups of the LNC200N Salt Wharnies and K390 Delica Wharnies. A Delica Wharnie has been in my pocket a good 95% of days in the past two years now. Sad to see it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:47 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:23 pm
awa54 wrote:
JSumm wrote:

My apology, the way you worded the comment, it wasn't totally obvious that "the current Delica blade" you referenced is the FFG variant, especially since the saber grind blade is still "current".

Doing that would add a second grinding and finishing step to the blade manufacture, as well as adding to the required precision of each process.
The simplest road to a thinner edged Delica is probably to increase the radius of the hollow, essentially just stretching the grind of the saber pattern blade up closer to the spine. I guess a variable grind height or distal taper could enhance the strength and/or edge thinness, but that would be a much more costly project... Personally I'm hoping this knife comes in at only a slight premium over standard FFG/VG-10 Delica pricing.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.
I gotcha. Yeah I'm wondering if they are making the current FFG Delica with a thinner blade stock or just adding a Hollow Grind to the FFG Delica. Either would be fine by mean. I think the current thin stock FFG is already pretty thin, and a Hollow Grind added to that would be something similar to the Centofante blade I believe.

Really the Salt 2 in H2 with Hollow Grind is already available (similar to the saber grind with a shallow HG), but I definitely wouldn't call it high performance from a grind standpoint. But even if they leave the Delica FFG the way it is and add a Hollow Grind to that, I would still be very interested.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005