Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
standy99

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by standy99 »

Not for me, watched the whole ceramic knife come in when I was still a butcher and toughness was always the issue.
Aussie $$s lately and price may have me sit this one out.
(Having all my mules on a magnetic rack this would sit in a draw and probably get used less)

Good to see this bought to market :bug-white-red , but will watch from the sidelines.

Will pick up a few sitting Mules just for the mule drop feel though… :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:58 pm
That is insane! Would you mind sharing other views of that super cool thinned out mule?
I second that. Incredible thinning :star-struck
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JestersHK wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:06 pm
...a good lightweight blade....

The ceramic mule is spec'd at 2.5 oz as opposed to the steel mules which are typically 2.7 oz. So it is a little lighter. I think most of your desired weight savings will come from fitting very lightweight scales, perhaps pine or cedar.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am actually shocked it weighs that much
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Kaparaman

Post by Kaparaman »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:48 am
I am actually shocked it weighs that much
The steel mules have a lot of holes to reduce weight. If these had the same weight relief holes they would weigh considerably less.
Kapara: S30V <3<3<3, 20CV
Shaman: Cruwear, 4V, S90V CF, 15V
Manix 2: 4V, M390, M390 DLC, 15V
PM2: Cruwear, S110V, 15V
Dodo: M4
Yojumbo: M4
Mule: 15V, T15
I forget the rest: ?, ?, ?....
Dream knife: Kapara S90V marble carbon fiber
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The fewer holes will make for a stronger knife methinks
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

Most definitely going to have to buy two or three ceramic mules--one to use, one to keep for the collection, and one to sell at an obscene mark up on ebay at some point in the future. Just have to make sure to sell it before the hypothetical product reveal in which Spyderco announces the upcoming release of several reasonably priced production models with ceramic blades, or I'll be like one of the schmucks on there now trying to sell a Magnacut mule for three hundred bucks.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:33 pm
Most definitely going to have to buy two or three ceramic mules--one to use, one to keep for the collection, and one to sell at an obscene mark up on ebay at some point in the future. Just have to make sure to sell it before the hypothetical product reveal in which Spyderco announces the upcoming release of several reasonably priced production models with ceramic blades, or I'll be like one of the schmucks on there now trying to sell a Magnacut mule for three hundred bucks.
You forgot one to break for testing…… :winking-tongue

There will be breaks…me thinks.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:51 am
Hatuletoh wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:33 pm
You forgot one to break for testing…… :winking-tongue

There will be breaks…me thinks.
Need to do some batoning of oak logs with knots in it because that’s the most important test of a knife instead of an axe or splitting maul. :winking-tongue 🤣🤣🤣
vanka

Post by vanka »

Let's see if there would be a limit of how many one can buy. If the limit is 5 or none they'll fly off the shelf quickly. Personally I hope for a limit of 2. Later on if they're still in stock they can remove the limit. One for testing and abusing and the other for backup. Large quantities can help as well. Let's say 2000 or more would give a chance to everyone to grab some.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Is the hype behind this one really going to be that high? I was kind of surprised by the way people slept on the K294 and AEB-L Mules. I haven't really been hearing anyone talking about the elastic ceramics.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'm still wondering how you can sharpen this stuff. That and not durability is the question running around in my head. I will be very curious to hear how from those who try these out.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well, you probably won't have to often, is the plan. If I am lucky enough to get one, I'll probably just send it in if I ever need to. I know that's not what most forumites want to do though.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:32 pm
I'm still wondering how you can sharpen this stuff. That and not durability is the question running around in my head. I will be very curious to hear how from those who try these out.
Diamond lapping film was recommended
Toker

Post by Toker »

Would you be able to sharpen these with the Wicked Edge diamond stones?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I was wondering what the Rc equivalent might be, and started to re-read this thread...

KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:28 am
...there exists a white version of the HIC. It is significantly harder than the black one, it would be around 80 Rockwell C if converted from Vickers to Rockwell C, but the Rockwell C scale stops at 70HRC so that 80 HRC value is a very hypothetic one...

So back-translating, that must mean the Vickers number of the white material is around 1800-1900, somewhere around the same hardness as chromium. White aluminum oxide (like the Sharpmaker fine stones) has a Vickers of around 2200-2300. Tungsten carbide is around 2400 Vickers. Boron nitride (as in CBN) is around 3200 Vickers. Diamond around 10,000 Vickers. (If the charts I'm looking at are correct.) Earlier in this thread Sal mentions he's getting a good sharpening response off CBN rods (don't know if he's talking about the white or the black material) so that would hint that sharpening media >3200 Vickers might be able to sharpen this ceramic? And diamond should have no problem, hardness wise.

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know how the black material fits into the picture, hardness-wise. One would guess that the black is easier to sharpen than the white, based on hardness alone.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I bought this in preparation of this mule:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Looking forward to sharpening/polishing one or more of these on my Paper Wheels with fine diamond compounds.
BTW: coarse grits are counterproductive on ceramics, and polishing is a must for any edge longevity.
Big advantage however is that there will never be a burr, so once sharp it's sharp.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Paper wheel and compound would be my first choice. Paper or plywood.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Does anyone know how long it takes from "Coming Soon" to in stock?

Fingers crossed this doesn't hit while I'm out of service area in the woods, but that would be my luck...
Attachments
Screenshot_20231028_132719_Chrome.jpg