About that food prep ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

Re: About that food prep ...

Post by RugerNurse »

I’m the opposite apparently. I carry Spydercos for food prep mainly. Not so much at home although sometimes I’ll cut up steak for the kids that’s just got done on the grill. It’s why I bought a salt knife in the first place. Most of what I do for all my kids is cut up food at restaurants or camping or outdoor BBQs. It’s started to slow down since they are getting a bit older but I still have a 15mo old. I’m thinking of upgrading to the pacific salt for more blade length. I don’t really cut anything nasty during the day so the blade stays clean and if it gets greasy just hose it off and you’re good to go.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Practice for the field
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:11 am
I’m the opposite apparently. I carry Spydercos for food prep mainly. Not so much at home although sometimes I’ll cut up steak for the kids that’s just got done on the grill. It’s why I bought a salt knife in the first place. Most of what I do for all my kids is cut up food at restaurants or camping or outdoor BBQs. It’s started to slow down since they are getting a bit older but I still have a 15mo old. I’m thinking of upgrading to the pacific salt for more blade length. I don’t really cut anything nasty during the day so the blade stays clean and if it gets greasy just hose it off and you’re good to go.
If you do get the Pac Salt LC PE you won’t regret it, one of my most carried knives and great in the kitchen as far as folders go…I wish I knew more about specialized kitchen knives but unfortunately I don’t…wouldn’t be opposed to getting a couple few tho because they are the efficient route to go for sure…but it sure is fun to switch up between the Pacific/Chef/Caribbean/Siren/Native/Dfly
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:46 am
RugerNurse wrote:
If you do get the Pac Salt LC PE you won’t regret it, one of my most carried knives and great in the kitchen as far as folders go…I wish I knew more about specialized kitchen knives but unfortunately I don’t…wouldn’t be opposed to getting a couple few tho because they are the efficient route to go for sure…but it sure is fun to switch up between the Pacific/Chef/Caribbean/Siren/Native/Dfly
I’m curious about a serrated pacific salt but for food prep I prefer the plain edge. My wife and I have some kitchen knives we use for cooking most of the time. But I value the folder that you can rinse off with no issues haha
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I also am curious about a Pacific in SE, just don’t know if I want LC or H2, but knowing me I’ll probably end up with both eventually 😉
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:26 am
oh, and a sak in my bag in case i need a saw to build a cabin in the woods. ;)
LOL! :rofl
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 am
Am I the only adult left in the world who just eats an apple whole, without cutting it up first? I feel so alone...
No, you are not alone. It is very satisfying to bite into the my favorite apple and munch it down to it's core.🍎
However, I do cut up apples and sprinkle cinnamon on the slices for the grandkids and my wife.
Last edited by mongo1958 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm
If you call yourself a knife geek and you don’t own a Japanese laser then you need to get one. This ain’t even a super expensive knife but it is R2/Super Gold and the grind is crazy thin. I can’t do this with any folder I own.

Mongo1958
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:19 am
I also am curious about a Pacific in SE, just don’t know if I want LC or H2, but knowing me I’ll probably end up with both eventually 😉

If we focus on the topic of this thread- food prep - I'd say go with the LC200 N. The ffg SE will work better in that application.

The H1 hollow sabre grind has its own virtues though:
More robust blade and especially more robust tip (no tapering).
The hollow part cuts great when ut comes to separating matter with smaller diameters and bites into wood really well. Even more so in Sye due to the chisel grind.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:09 am
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:46 am
RugerNurse wrote:
I’m curious about a serrated pacific salt but for food prep I prefer the plain edge. My wife and I have some kitchen knives we use for cooking most of the time. But I value the folder that you can rinse off with no issues haha

I may sound like a complete SE fanboy (and actually perhaps I am just that a bit :winking-tongue ) but I honestly found (ffg!) SE to work better than PE in the kind of food prep I tend to do with folders .

I am not a professional chef AT ALL, and clearly and obviously those use PE kitchen knives almost all the time, no doubt!

But for cutting bread or roughly vegetables (especially stuff like tomatoes) Spydercos ffg SE works great for an amateur.
And will still when somewhat dull already, unlike PE.
And SE will stay sharp much longer than PE when cutting on a surface (like very often in food prep), cause the actual edge in the scallops will never hit the cutting board.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Resilience. Nuttin' glitzy or glamorous about it. Just good basic functionality. PE in 8Cr13MoV or S35VN. I LUV my S35VN version. Solid basic tool and pretty good for impromptu food duties.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:21 pm
Resilience. Nuttin' glitzy or glamorous about it. Just good basic functionality. PE in 8Cr13MoV or S35VN. I LUV my S35VN version. Solid basic tool and pretty good for impromptu food duties.

I believe you.

My S35VN Tenacious is pretty good for food prep already, but the longer blade of the Resilience can only make the knife even better in that capacity (though the Tenacious has already about an Endura length actual cutting edge)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I still prefer to carry a dedicated kitchen knife to places where I expect to do some cooking, but I do not shy away from using my Spyderco knives in the kitchen. In fact - the UKPK with a drop point blade does smaller jobs really well. But recently I have come across (in some tourist shop) a folding serrated knife from Victorinox - and we bought it just to try it out. I am VERY impressed how well it works. Thin, but not too flexy, simple but functional serrations, super shar out of the box. It immediately brought me to an idea how much I would love a knife in similar format from Spyderco in some nice steel (LC200N would be a great fit). I know it would cost 10x as much as the VIC, but I am pretty sure it would find it's audience.

Here the VIC just for the reference:
IMG_7703.jpg
IMG_7667.jpg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I've used my knives mutiple times when prepping food outside my house and all the avalible knives were dull. My ex had a huge drawer full of old rusty, dull knives. So I always used the best pocket knife I had one me at the time to get the job done. Cleaning them afterwards is always a pain tho...
Danke

Post by Danke »

I cut food all the time (especially raw meat) and it gives me excellent consistent feedback on how a knife does.

Plan A Home)

Plan B Home & Abroad)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've got a block full of Japanese steels but I still throw any new folder I get (that's Delica-sized or larger) on the windowsill above the kitchen sink for about a month. It gives me a chance to use it for mixed purposes like light food prep or opening packages, and get a feel for its performance and how it holds up to cardboard, blood, food acids, etc.. I also do this with fixed blades smaller than about 4.5". Basically my 'handy' knife while it's there.

There's a 15V Mule up there now. Before that it was a SE K390 Endura, which was preceded by a DLT PE Delica in Cruwear. Never any extensive food prep, but when something needs cutting (lemon, apple, box), I look to that windowsill first.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Every morning I cut up fruits for my two daughters to take to school. I always use a pocket knife as it is a way to test slicieness. Same with dinner, I cut op vegies. That's what I love about Spyderco's, the slicieness of most models. PM2, Para3, Kapara, Manix, Caly are all great slicers (I have to get a Spydiecheff one day).
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Got a thin red line Endura quite recently and I think its long, ffg combo edge blade actually could be a very good choice for many people who like to do the kind of food prep one usually does with folders (so not professional, chef - like cooking with a dedicated kitchen knife and a sharpening device always nearby).

The serrated section is long enough for "breaking" / "puncturing" the surface of food (like the crust of bread, or the skin of tomatoes )and/or initiate cuts, and the teeth will still separate food when the knife is already somewhat dull after a day of use and the need for impromptu food prep arises

While there is still a long enough PE section towards the tip (so in the front area of the blade usually used for cutting on a board), where the tapering of the blade also makes the knife a bit more similar to a (PE) kitchen knife blade.

/ Generally, and off topic for this thread: FFG comboedge turned out to be quite useful for me!
I certainly prefer it over PE for EDC.