Cutleryshoppe Exclusive Native Chief, DLC CTS-XHP, Orange G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Cutleryshoppe Exclusive Native Chief, DLC CTS-XHP, Orange G10

Post by Bolster »

I know I'm way late to the game, but decided to give the Orange Native XHP Satin a whirl before they're gone (still in stock as of Nov 2022!). Arrived as a beautiful looking knife, but would hardly open one handed...with a hitch, a gritty feel and sound, and small metal shavings building up in the hinge area of the spine after several dozen two-handed openings. C.S. has graciously accepted it back, and I'm hoping for a winner of a replacement.

But I am curious if any of you who got the Orange Native noticed unusually stiff and slow opening? It's got a long lock bar, so maybe this knife just has a lot of pressure on the hinge of the blade?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:13 pm
But I am curious if any of you who got the Orange Native noticed unusually stiff and slow opening? It's got a long lock bar, so maybe this knife just has a lot of pressure on the blade?
I got one a month ago and it was like butter out of the box. Almost scary how slicey that blade is. The Cutlery Shoppe is a great retailer, and I'm sure they'll check the replacement before they send it out. Good people there.

You're gonna love this knife.
Brian
Crox

Post by Crox »

CDEP wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 pm
Bolster wrote:
But I am curious if any of you who got the Orange Native noticed unusually stiff and slow opening? It's got a long lock bar, so maybe this knife just has a lot of pressure on the blade?
I got one a month ago and it was like butter out of the box. Almost scary how slicey that blade is. The Cutlery Shoppe is a great retailer, and I'm sure they'll check the replacement before they send it out. Good people there.

You're gonna love this knife.
Same for me. Had it a month and it was perfect out of the box.

CS is great. I asked them to check centering and it was dead on. They put a hand written note that they had done so and thanked me. Nice.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
I know I'm way late to the game, but decided to give the Orange Native XHP Satin a whirl before they're gone (still in stock as of Nov 2022!). Arrived as a beautiful looking knife, but would hardly open one handed...with a hitch, a gritty feel and sound, and small metal shavings building up in the hinge area of the spine after several dozen two-handed openings. C.S. has graciously accepted it back, and I'm hoping for a winner of a replacement.

But I am curious if any of you who got the Orange Native noticed unusually stiff and slow opening? It's got a long lock bar, so maybe this knife just has a lot of pressure on the hinge of the blade?
Sorry to hear this buddy . I got mine some time ago and it came in perfect . I have 4 CS exclusives and each one has been outstanding . Glad they are making it right for you they have always treated me well over the years . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’ve owned the satin and DLC versions of this knife. The DLC wasn’t quite up to the lofty expectations I have for Golden. Scales weren’t even with the backspacer and yeah, it had stiff gritty action. The satin version is perfect and the one I kept.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've had the DLC variant for over a year. It was smooth and sharp out of the box.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My uncoated was excellent out of the box as well.

The DLC ones cannot get the final sanding to get the scales to perfectly match the back spacer and spring because doing so would remove the DLC on those parts. This true on every coated knife AFAIK. Mike Janich mentioned it on a thread related to the coated karambit from a few years back.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Replacement from Cutlery Shoppe is excellent! Hand written note from Jeff and a $10 bill was included in the package...I guess to cover return shipping. Wow, I'm not accustomed to that sort of customer service.

Nice knife! My first orange, my first Native, my first 4" blade, and my first linerless G-10. This is really outside my comfort zone, folks! And it's great!

Thank you, Spyderco Forum, for recommending this knife. Thank you Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe for the excellent customer service and the fine dealer exclusive.

:1stplace:
Attachments
Native Chief CS sm.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Unluckycharm

Post by Unluckycharm »

Jeff from CS is the man. Got a hand written note from him with my NC and Manix.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:50 pm
Replacement from Cutlery Shoppe is excellent! Hand written note from Jeff and a $10 bill was included in the package...I guess to cover return shipping. Wow, I'm not accustomed to that sort of customer service.

Nice knife! My first orange, my first Native, my first 4" blade, and my first linerless G-10. This is really outside my comfort zone, folks! And it's great!

Thank you, Spyderco Forum, for recommending this knife. Thank you Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe for the excellent customer service and the fine dealer exclusive.

I love happy endings ! CS as I stated are great people . Hope you enjoy yours as much I enjoy mine . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:50 pm

Jeff and CS are the best! If Jeff isn't around J.J. will sort you out. Enjoy the Chief! It's a slicey beast with great ergos.
Brian
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Cutlery Shoppe has a great reputation for a reason. That's awesome Bolster! Really hope you like it. Even if it is a little different than your usual. It is one of my very favorite models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks guys!

Regards the knife...it's sooo long! Now I can cut stuff in my neighbor's back yard without leaving my house.

If I ever take this knife apart (unlikely) I will jimp the forward part of the lock bar some more. When holding the knife in the "back" grip, which this knife invites via its luxury of space, the thumb needs a bit more purchase. I think jimping the forward part of the lock bar without jimping the G10 on either side would give just the right amount of thumb-grip. Alternately, jimp the G10 and not the lock bar.
canyonrat

Post by canyonrat »

Man, I keep looking at this knife it seems like a smoking deal. I wish I liked Orange better. It's crazy when you look at the price of the standard black G-10/S30v model and the M390/brown sprint run. Enjoy!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster, I think adding some jimping on the lock bar is a cool idea. I would do the lock bar not the G10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

canyonrat wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 am
Man, I keep looking at this knife it seems like a smoking deal. I wish I liked Orange better. It's crazy when you look at the price of the standard black G-10/S30v model and the M390/brown sprint run. Enjoy!
You could always RIT Dye it. It is a crazy deal.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:56 am
canyonrat wrote:
You might be able to swap scales with someone who likes orange but already has the s30v version and doesn't want to spend to get this one.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:41 pm
JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:56 am
canyonrat wrote:
You might be able to swap scales with someone who likes orange but already has the s30v version and doesn't want to spend to get this one.
Oh not a bad idea. I'm thinking a orange to maroon may look pretty dang cool.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

canyonrat wrote:

Forget the color, it's got XHP steel! That's what pushed me over the edge. It's a wonderful steel if you are looking for balance. For edge retention (catra 550-570), it sits ahead of Elmax and S45VN, and just behind S30V. Toughness at 8-9 ft ft lbs is better than average for its edge retention range. It's stainless-ish, but not very. Sharpens easily for a super steel. In Larrin's graphics, it's one of the lucky steels that beats the stainless steel toughness/ER curve.

JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am
Bolster, I think adding some jimping on the lock bar is a cool idea. I would do the lock bar not the G10.

Agreed. The difficulty is: There's about 1/8" of jimping at the very end of the lock bar (if so little, why any?) and it is done in a way that drops the height of the end of the lock bar down below flush. I'd not want to jimp in a way that put the lockbar below flush, so that means my jimping would not match factory. Might look a bit odd, with the mismatch. I'm fussy about metal mods looking as close to factory as possible.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:36 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am
Agreed. The difficulty is: There's about 1/8" of jimping at the very end of the lock bar (if so little, why any?) and it is done in a way that drops the height of the end of the lock bar down below flush. I'd not want to jimp in a way that put the lockbar below flush, so that means my jimping would not match factory. Might look a bit odd, with the mismatch. I'm fussy about metal mods looking as close to factory as possible.
That makes sense. I would be concerned jimping the G10 would leave it brittle and easy to break off, but I guess if it is sandwiched right up against the lock bar than that would be a non-issue.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005