Sal, Anyone? Spyderco Super Blue steel hardness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Sal, Anyone? Spyderco Super Blue steel hardness

Post by The Meat man »

Hey everyone, I just recently picked up a Caly 3.5 in Super Blue and I'm curious to know what the steel's HRC hardness is. The only data I could find on any SB hardness from Spyderco was the Mule at 61-62 I think?

Does anyone know of any more information on what HRC Spyderco used for the Caly Sprints, or the later Seki Sprints? Or has anyone ever gotten their Caly Sprints tested, or know someone who has?

Sal, I don't suppose you'd have the info handy somewhere...:o
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Re: Sal, Anyone? Spyderco Super Blue steel hardness

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very interested in what you find out here. I thought it was a fun steel to play around with in terms of a patina, but for me in the Caly Jr it was the most underwhelming steel I've ever used for my type of work. I know you cut a lot of similar materials as well, but are also more advanced in your equipment and sharpening abilities. Granted I'm much better now than I was when I gave up on mine last year and wish maybe I gave it a better chance?? I can't wait to see how you do with this knife! Always loved the model, so it's nice to see the 3.5 in use!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hey Connor,

Nice score on that Caly - that’s long been one of my grail Spydies. I love seeing Chumango’s well used SB Caly, and look forward to seeing the development of yours over time. :cool:

I’ve been curious about the same thing, and based on the same info you found, I guessed they’d be targetting the 61-62 HRC range.

Rick, considering Aogami Super is optimised for Japanese kitchen knives in the range of say 0.005”-0.008” behind the edge, and angles like 7-10 dps, I think that’s where this steel really shines.

I took my SB Stretch to 9dps with a 15 dps Sharpmaker microbevel, but I think I’ll keep thinning it out the next time I take it to the stones.

If you watch Japanese chefs at work, they’ll often do touch up sharpening on fine shiage stones during their shift, before making critical cuts, in addition to normal sharpening every day or two.

It’s a steel that is best kept at a very high sharpness level in thinly ground edges, IMHO.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I’m curious about this too, as I’m into Japanese kitchen cutlery as well as pocketknives. Does anybody have any info on the HRC on any of the other Japanese steels spyderco has used aside from ZDP? Hap40, Super gold 2, etc.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm
Very interested in what you find out here. I thought it was a fun steel to play around with in terms of a patina, but for me in the Caly Jr it was the most underwhelming steel I've ever used for my type of work.
My experience was that it had 'not so great' edge holding, but really nice sharpening response. Super easy to get sharp quickly and super easy to stupidly sharp--just didn't stay there for long without touch ups.

It seemed to me that it would shine most in an environment where frequent sharpening was available--a kitchen, for example.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

viewtopic.php?t=83847 hrc database here
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:49 am
viewtopic.php?t=83847 hrc database here
Sure enough. I hadn't noticed there was an entry for the recent SB Calypso Jr. Thanks.

Wouldn't mind having more data points, though!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm
Very interested in what you find out here. I thought it was a fun steel to play around with in terms of a patina, but for me in the Caly Jr it was the most underwhelming steel I've ever used for my type of work.
My experience was that it had 'not so great' edge holding, but really nice sharpening response. Super easy to get sharp quickly and super easy to stupidly sharp--just didn't stay there for long without touch ups.

It seemed to me that it would shine most in an environment where frequent sharpening was available--a kitchen, for example.
That ability to get so sticky sharp so easily is what I like most about Super Blue. And even the edge holding, while certainly not like Maxamet, is still pretty good. Surely, at least as good as, say, LC200N or VG-10/BD1N.

I also think Cambertree is dead on - thinning out the edge and edge angle can transform your edge performance like you wouldn't believe! Especially on a lower alloy, higher hardness, extremely fine grained steel like SB.
- Connor

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Super Blue really shines if you thin out your edge and run an acute angle. It isn’t meant to be extremely wear resistant.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Ugh, one day I'll pull the trigger on the murray carter gyuto - the steel sounds like it makes more sense as a kitchen knife steel
sal

Post by sal »

Low 60's are normal.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks, Sal! That does seem to be the average.
- Connor

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Still a big super blue fan. For cutting and slicing I'll take it anyday over 1095, 5160, W2, O1 etc. I like sharpening most steels but super blue is one of the best and easiest to sharpen up . It's one of several Spydercos I could use the rest of my life if I had to. I'm glad I don't have to though.