Compression Lock Patent - Expired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jb19

Compression Lock Patent - Expired?

Post by jb19 »

I looked up the Spyderco's patent for the compression lock and it appears that it expired on 2/22/2021. Does this mean that any of the other knife makers can start using the compression lock? And if so, when would we expect competitors to start popping up with their own rendition of the compression lock?
yablanowitz

Re: Compression Lock Patent - Expired?

Post by yablanowitz »

It is no longer protected by patent, but that doesn't make it any easier to manufacture.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Yeah, the real protection from knockoffs is that it’s just hard to make.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm
It is no longer protected by patent, but that doesn't make it any easier to manufacture.
I'll bite: what makes the compression lock so hard to get right? Is it harder than a good liner lock?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Carefully thought out geometry is what make the Comp Lock the best IMO
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
I'll bite: what makes the compression lock so hard to get right? Is it harder than a good liner lock?
I wouldn't say it's any harder than any other lock to get right. As long as the geometry of the lock face is good (and spyderco seems to have it dialed in, obviously) I would think it would be pretty easy to reproduce. I think it's a cost thing. Liners, frame locks, the axis lock, they all contact a single surface, the tang of the blade. The compression lock contacts 2, the tang and the stop pin. Getting all of that correct, with no play, no stick (or very little), and a strong lock, in a mass production environment... I think it's a pretty amazing feat.

I just think people have tried and don't like the challenges. I remember when the axis lock patent expired and there were knives just waiting to get produced. Doesn't seem so with the comp lock!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd love to see more custom makers using it. We'll see what happens!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't worry about it. The back lock isn't patented (actually I dunno is it?) but Spyderco still make the best I've ever used. It's one thing to be legally allowed to make a compression lock, it's another to make one that works well. Even if brand X makes a BETTER compression lock, there's still the matter of ergonomics/steel/customer service that will dictate what I buy long before the lock design does. The Tri-Ad is one of the best locks available but I don't care for the designs it comes in, but if Spyderco were to say...make a Sage with a Tri-Ad lock... it would definitely grab my attention.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be interested in a Demko design with a compression lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Good liner locks aren't all that common, either, but yes, the compression lock requires precision to work correctly. Of course, it could be slapped together like most liner locks and be less likely to fail than they are, with the same outcome - people avoiding and bad-mouthing them the way they do liner locks now.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

What makes it difficult is multiple points of contact. Has to be precise because you have a balance of too tight or too loose and it won't work right. Spyderco had issues with manufacturing in the past. Here's what it looks like from the side. Not much room for error. Seems simple enough though.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Lifting a car engine is simple. That doesn't make it easy.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am
Lifting a car engine is simple. That doesn't make it easy.
I totally agree. I was just saying that just looking at it without knowing it seems simple.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One thing I came to realize long ago is that often the things that appear simple are, in fact, quite difficult to do well or get it right. This applies to many things.

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not to imply that Spyderco should or could improve on their comp lock, but judging by the expiration of the axis lock patent, there seems to be more upsides than downsides. At least to me, it seemed like Benchmade upped their axis lock game around the time the patent expired, which has lead to me buying more Benchmades after the expiration than before - and as of yet, non of the competing implementations.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Curlyhaired boy,

I don't know if Andrew Demko is tied to Cold Steel and what the arrangement is. I don't think we'd be opposed to working with him, but he would probably have to approach us.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have a most excellent compression lock Pulsar made by Jesse Jarosz probably six or more years ago. Custom makers could use the comp lock if permission was granted from Spyderco (which it was, in fact I recall a hilarious conversation between Sal and Eric about it when I showed it to them at an OKCA show years ago), just like makers request to be able to use the Spyderhole in any designs. So, it’s not as if that lock was never available for use by other makers (although I’d likely bet that a full-sized knife company wouldn’t have been granted permission). Jesse Jarosz’s take on it is spot on, and his liners are a bit thicker even. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Sage 6: Shark Lock!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks guys, great explanation. Just goes to show that Sal + Crew have got it together.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cjk

Post by cjk »

The Vosteed Mayhem is evidently using a button actuated compression lock. It appears similar to a Smock.