Thank you guys for answering my questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Thank you guys for answering my questions

Post by Eliteone2383 »

And helping me learn more about Spydies. I have now bought 4 spydies. I currently have a S90v para 3, a GB 2, a caly 3.5 and lastnight I won a bid for a s90v native chief. Once I have received them ( Come on usps lol) I will post a picture and a review of my initial impressions of the knives. Not sure why I never gave spyderco a look but I believe in better late than never. Sal from my research and what I have seen him post on here is a very good guy and it seems like the company as a whole really cares about their product and CS. I have no doubt that will be shown in the quality of the knives I anxiously await. I am happy to be a part of this great community. This forum is easily the most wholesome forum I have seen and I will most certainly be sticking around :)

Sincerely
Randy
Stay sharp!
ladybug93

Re: Thank you guys for answering my questions

Post by ladybug93 »

wow! you're moving quick! i'm sure you will enjoy them all as well as your time here. it's an interesting place full of pretty cool people.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Its a great place, welcome!!!
araneae

Post by araneae »

You're off to a good start. Welcome.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely some high end steels and knives in general, for getting your feet wet with! Don't overlook some of the lower end models as well as you continue your journey, there are gems everywhere when it comes to Spyderco knives ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

Excellent stuff. I still suggest to buy the S110V Military, a set of DMT diamond plates (coarse, fine, extra fine, size 6x2 is enough) and the Spyderco UF benchstone.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

kobold wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:56 am
Excellent stuff. I still suggest to buy the S110V Military, a set of DMT diamond plates (coarse, fine, extra fine, size 6x2 is enough) and the Spyderco UF benchstone.
I am not comfortable sharpening my own knives. I use every knife I own but ruining a expensive blade would really suck lol.
Stay sharp!
swigert

Post by swigert »

What a start!

We have a pretty amazing little corner of the internet here.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:59 am
kobold wrote:
I am not comfortable sharpening my own knives. I use every knife I own but ruining a expensive blade would really suck lol.
Get you a couple cheap knives, and some sharpening equipment like the Sharpmaker and getting practicing! It's definitely difficult when you're a beginner, but there are also a lot of great sharpening threads here in the forum that you can search for and learn A LOT. You'll even see my name in there 3 years ago asking a million questions :p I now consider myself a pretty capable sharpener!

It's a great part of the "knife life" being able to sharpen your own knives, and a great satisfaction once you finally get the knack and begin to get some consistent edges...it just takes work and practice.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
kobold wrote:
If you can't fix it, you don't really own it. Just practice on some cheap knives first. You can't ruin them, unless you are worried about every tiny scratch, because of the resale value. Maintenance is part of the experience IMHO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
kobold wrote:

Rick and Kobold beat me to it, but it can´t hurt to strongly recommend again: Do get into sharpening your own knives! It opens a whole new aspect and is really not that hard, at least when it is about touching up the knives rather frequently (and not letting them get really dull in the first place).

Your "next Spyderco" should really be a (Spyderco) Sharpmaker, probably already with additional CBN or diamond rods. Maintaining the factory edges of Spyderco knives is really not a problem then. Believe me, I am not really good at sharpening, but the sharpmaker makes it easy for me (on PE and even mores so SE Spydies).
It comes with a great instructional dvd where Sal explains thus tool (also can be found on youtube https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58&t=240s, just look into it, even if you don´t have a sharpmaker yet. ), plus there are a ton of threads here on the forum and also a ton of very knowledgable people (much more than I myself happen to be) who will anwser any question you have! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

An inexpensive paring knife (like an Old Hickory) is a great practice knife to learn sharpening, on whatever device you decide to try, be it a guided system or freehand on benchstones. They’re not so hard and/or thick that it’s time consuming. And when you get it figured out, you’ll have a useful kitchen knife too.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:20 am
Eliteone2383 wrote:
kobold wrote:

Rick and Kobold beat me to it, but it can´t hurt to strongly recommend again: Do get into sharpening your own knives! It opens a whole new aspect and is really not that hard, at least when it is about touching up the knives rather frequently (and not letting them get really dull in the first place).

Your "next Spyderco" should really be a (Spyderco) Sharpmaker, probably already with additional CBN or diamond rods. Maintaining the factory edges of Spyderco knives is really not a problem then. Believe me, I am not really good at sharpening, but the sharpmaker makes it easy for me (on PE and even mores so SE Spydies).
It comes with a great instructional dvd where Sal explains thus tool (also can be found on youtube https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58&t=240s, just look into it, even if you don´t have a sharpmaker yet. ), plus there are a ton of threads here on the forum and also a ton of very knowledgable people (much more than I myself happen to be) who will anwser any question you have! :)
I will look into buying the sharp maker. From the video it looks like I can't mess up too bad.
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Eliteone2383 wrote:
kobold wrote:
I will look into buying the sharp maker. From the video it looks like I can't mess up too bad.

You would not regret it! Perhaps get a cheap Byrd knife you still like (the Meadowlark for example is a nice, very good performing small carry) and try the Sharpmaker out on it first.

And: The sharpmaker is not only good for knives, but also for other things like scissors
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:13 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Eliteone2383 wrote:

You would not regret it! Perhaps get a cheap Byrd knife you still like (the Meadowlark for example is a nice, very good performing small carry) and try the Sharpmaker out on it first.

And: The sharpmaker is not only good for knives, but also for other things like scissors
Can I fully sharpen a knife on the sharp maker or can I only touch up on it? Also how does stroping work? Will any leather stroke work? I know nothing about the compounds used for that.
Stay sharp!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Can I fully sharpen a knife on the sharp maker or can I only touch up on it? Also how does stroping work? Will any leather stroke work? I know nothing about the compounds used for that.
You can absolutely fully sharpen on the sharpmaker. It comes with brown (medium) and white (fine) ceramic stones. I would recommend adding a set of the cbn rods. You can reprofile on this system, though it can be time consuming. CPM-M4, REX45, CPM-CRUWEAR no problem. I reprofiled a K390 ladybug on cbn rods. I can’t vouch for s90v, I’ve never used it.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:38 pm
Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Eliteone2383 wrote:

You can absolutely fully sharpen on the sharpmaker. It comes with brown (medium) and white (fine) ceramic stones. I would recommend adding a set of the cbn rods. You can reprofile on this system, though it can be time consuming. CPM-M4, REX45, CPM-CRUWEAR no problem. I reprofiled a K390 ladybug on cbn rods. I can’t vouch for s90v, I’ve never used it.
S90v though I've never tried sharpening it myself I have watched others sharpen it and it's a steel that can make you want to say bad words apparently lol.
Stay sharp!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Excellent knife choices.

For sharpening....
Sharpmaker 20 degrees per side and a strop block from knives plus. You should be able to get anything decently sharp. After you're comfortable with that, try 15 degrees per side. A much longer process that usually requires reprofiling the edge, but gives you a sharper edge.
Maybe a KME Sharp with the diamond stones if you want a more precise edge.
Or get a bench stone and learn to free hand.

There are TONS of sharpening threads here on the forum if you search for them. You'll probably mess up an edge or two in your journey. But mistakes sharpen out. And once you can put your own edge on a knife, the hobby really opens up to you. Never a dull moment after that :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

kobold wrote:
I cant find a CF s110v military or I'd have it on the way.
Stay sharp!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:36 am
kobold wrote:
I cant find a CF s110v military or I'd have it on the way.
Nice choices so far mate, what's your fav currently?