Handle foreward Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Handle foreward Native 5

Post by Doc Dan »

This is just my opinion, but if the handle were brought foreward and the finger guard as well, doing away with the choil, and a full three inch blade sticking out of the handle, with a full cutting edge, I think we'd have a winner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Re: Handle foreward Native 5

Post by VooDooChild »

I would also like a no choil native 5.

Why is this in off topic?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 pm
This is just my opinion, but if the handle were brought foreward and the finger guard as well, doing away with the choil, and a full three inch blade sticking out of the handle, with a full cutting edge, I think we'd have a winner.

Totally YES (but, Doc: Why do you post this in the off topic section?! :confused: )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Aahhh! I posted this in the wrong place. Help Kristi!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Native makes for the perfect Native. Changing it will make it NOT a Native. Maybe a Native Scout could be the one without a 50/50 choil?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Funny you should mention that. I have a design that is very similar to what you are suggesting, but has a larger hole and bit of a hump. I designed it a while ago along with the Rock Jumper. I'm waiting for a slot in Golden to make it. Drawn in 2018.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:12 pm
Hi Doc,

Funny you should mention that. I have a design that is very similar to what you are suggesting, but has a larger hole and bit of a hump. I designed it a while ago along with the Rock Jumper. I'm waiting for a slot in Golden to make it. Drawn in 2018.

sal

Perhaps a quote for the "bombshell"-thread... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 pm

Doc, as said, I am with you: The Native is certainly a cool knife, but exactly the size where a choil makes the least sense imho (except for really small hands, so small that a Native will work like a Manix for "normal" sized hands) - choils are great in knives even smaller than a Native (Chap, DFly) and very often nice to have in knives larger than the Native.

- The Native handle would offer enough space for a four finger grip, if the handle part of the choil would not take away some of that space
- The blade part of the choil shortens the cutting edge
- So you end up with a knife on which one has to choke up, despite the overall handle length would be long enough for a full grip if the choil was not there; and with a knife that additionally has a shorter cutting edge than necessary - cause the choil is there...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The choil in the Native is precisely what allows it to fit my xl hands - they don’t fit on the handle comfortably without it.
Mr.B.

Post by Mr.B. »

I bought the Native because it has the choil, and when I need more blade length I use a different knife - such as the Native Chief - because it has a choil.

i
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Love the concept!
Always hearing about these “dreams”, aka knife design brainstorming, and Sal’s drawings gives me the urge to share some old designs I made a couple years ago!
I always feel like they’d be fun to show, so we can talk about knife design and play around with whatever we’d manage to think of.
But I’m also hesitant to share them for a few reasons (if that makes sense?).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hmmm... how similar would this be to just slapping a native blade into a Rockjumper handle? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:35 pm
The choil in the Native is precisely what allows it to fit my xl hands - they don’t fit on the handle comfortably without it.
Agreed. While I am 100% in favor of more handle forward designs, the smaller they get the riskier they get for my hands. I'm definitely interested though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:

My almost XL hands don't fit there either. But the choil is the reason for this.
If there was no choil the usable (FRN/G10) part of the handle would be longer and the hand still as close to the edge as it now is with a choil...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr.B. wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm
I bought the Native because it has the choil, and when I need more blade length I use a different knife - such as the Native Chief - because it has a choil.

If you like a choil cause it brings the hand closer to the edge: "Handle forward" would do exactly the same.

If you like a choil for other reasons (for example the way it locks the hand in): Perhaps "handle forward" can not replace this.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Mr.B. wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm
^ Exactly, except I almost never need more blade length out of a folder.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ChrisinHove wrote:
That's what I was thinking. To me, the 50/50 on the Native is beneficial. Now if we got rid of the 50/50 on the Manix 2 or the XL, that would be pretty awesome.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
And if the handle were moved forward you would be able to get your hand on it and have more cutting edge in the process.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
That's what I was thinking. To me, the 50/50 on the Native is beneficial. Now if we got rid of the 50/50 on the Manix 2 or the XL, that would be pretty awesome.
The N5 has an extremely short cutting edge for the size of the knife because of the choil. If the handle were moved forward this could be remedied and have a comfortable handle, to boot.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050