Help me buy my 2nd spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eliteone2383

Help me buy my 2nd spyderco

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I dont even have my first spyderco in hand yet but want to have at least 2 so im asking the spydie pros for help on my 2nd spydie. I'm a knife snob admittedly. My criteria is no steel s30v or lower, Blade length between 3.5 and 4.0, no G10, micarta, titanium or carbon fiber is what I prefer. GB 2 is a no go because it's CF over G10. So what spydie fits my criteria guys and gals?

Thank you
Randy
Stay sharp!
VooDooChild

Re: Help me buy my 2nd spyderco

Post by VooDooChild »

No g10 is really a limiting factor.
Also, what do you consider lower than s30v?
Is cts xhp lower than s30v? What about lc200n?
Lc200n is great stuff and a spydiechef might be a good buy.

You could still get the carbon fiber s90v native chief sprint.
Drunken or Paysan if you want to spend alot of money.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Lower than s30v can mean a lot of things. Do you mean lower in terms of corrosion resistance, edge retention, ease of sharpening, toughness?

Spyderco doesn’t have many readily available micarta models unless you want to wait for the upcoming CruCarta PM2. For carbon fiber the Kapara is really nice although it has s30v steel. For titanium I would suggest the Spydiechef or swayback, both fit your description, although I am partial to the Spydiechef.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:41 am
I dont even have my first spyderco in hand yet but want to have at least 2 so im asking the spydie pros for help on my 2nd spydie. I'm a knife snob admittedly. My criteria is no steel s30v or lower, Blade length between 3.5 and 4.0, no G10, micarta, titanium or carbon fiber is what I prefer. ....

Hi Randy,

your first will be the Caly 3.5 in CF as far as I recall, right?

So you obviously want something even larger for your second one... no G10 makes this a bit hard (I assume "no FRN" too, since you say you are a "knife snob"?)

- Generally I think considering aftermarket custom scales (Micarta...) would give you a lot more choices then

- "No S30V or lower": What do you mean by that? "Lower" would be cheaper? More common / less rare? Less edge retention?
I do love S30V, but of course it is fine to want something else. But other than handle material you probably will rarely really notice and actually hardly SEE which steel your knife has, if it is somewhat close to S30V...
so if you could "live" with S30V:
+The Kapara would be a great choice (amazing full CF scales)
+Or, If LC does it for you: The Titanium Spydie Chef (blade a tad under 3.5, but almost all of it is cutting edge!)
+Or perhaps you can find a marble carbon fibre 4V Manix.. Would fit your steel and handle criteria, but also has a shorter blade than you want.
+ The carbon / S90V Shaman sprint would have been pretty much what you want, but I don´t know how hard they are to find and get these days.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Lower than s30v can mean a lot of things. Do you mean lower in terms of corrosion resistance, edge retention, ease of sharpening, toughness?

Spyderco doesn’t have many readily available micarta models unless you want to wait for the upcoming CruCarta PM2. For carbon fiber the Kapara is really nice although it has s30v steel. For titanium I would suggest the Spydiechef or swayback, both fit your description, although I am partial to the Spydiechef.

Well, you beat me on this ;) (You posted it while I typed a lot of the same, did not want to "parrot" you!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sounds like the OP is going to missing out on a lot of great Spydies! Good luck!
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dupe!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kobold

Post by kobold »

For a safe queen I would have a look at Aramis Akhmedov's site and get a S110V Military..

Or buy a fluted Ti Military on the secondary and swap the blade out for a 'higher' steel blade.

If you don't like Millies for some reason, buy a Native Chief in S90V and CF.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

K390 Endela
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:46 am
K390 Endela

... K390 EndURa since he wants a long blade and then custom scales if he does not want FRN...
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

Native Chief in Rex 45 and buy some custom scales? Large blade, compresionlock and just totally awesome.

*Edit*
I would wait for the first knife to arrive first and see how you like it.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Eratus wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:27 am
Native Chief in Rex 45 and buy some custom scales? Large blade, compresionlock and just totally awesome.

*Edit*

AFAIK, there are no custom scales for the Chief, sadly.
Also, thanks God the Chief comes with a back lock and not with a compression lock. :p
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I'm really thinking a native chief in s90v fits the bill. The state of Maryland is a weird place. No limitations on blade lengths but hard to own a firearm lol. Anyway I do love the looks of the native chief. The tip looks really thin. Anyone able to tell me if this knife has good tip strength?
Stay sharp!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:28 am
....Anyone able to tell me if this knife has good tip strength?

I'd ask for example Vivi about this, for example here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87034&start=160#p1504326

He really uses his knives (like many other too of course) and has a Chief now
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Eliteone2383 wrote:
I dont even have my first spyderco in hand yet but want to have at least 2 so im asking the spydie pros for help on my 2nd spydie. I'm a knife snob admittedly. My criteria is no steel s30v or lower, Blade length between 3.5 and 4.0, no G10, micarta, titanium or carbon fiber is what I prefer. GB 2 is a no go because it's CF over G10. So what spydie fits my criteria guys and gals?

Thank you
Randy
I would handle a GB2 before you dismiss. The CF over G10 is not a issue to get hung up on and dismiss probably the best bang for buck in the industry in my opinion... and M4 doesn’t have so many fanboys for nothing :spyder:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:49 am
Eliteone2383 wrote:

Thank you
Randy
I would handle a GB2 before you dismiss. The CF over G10 is not a issue to get hung up on and dismiss probably the best bang for buck in the industry in my opinion... and M4 doesn’t have so many fanboys for nothing :spyder:
I made this post before I pulled the trigger on a GB2 lol. I was still on post restrictions so my posts are a bit mixed up. Currently waiting for my GB2 to arrive along with my caly 3.5. Waiting is hard :(
Stay sharp!
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:58 am
Eratus wrote:

*Edit*

Also, thanks God the Chief comes with a back lock and not with a compression lock. :p
I was sure it had a compression lock but you are right. I saw a Native Chief on instagram (I think it was) that had Micarta. Probably a custom job then.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 pm
Sounds like the OP is going to missing out on a lot of great Spydies! Good luck!
Yep
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Eratus wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 am
kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:58 am
Eratus wrote:

*Edit*

I was sure it had a compression lock but you are right. I saw a Native Chief on instagram (I think it was) that had Micarta. Probably a custom job then.
IDK, because the Chief is linerless and micarta is not as strong as G10 which can provide structural integrity all by itself. I hope you are right tho. I would buy the black G10 version and mod it instantly.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Custom scales may be something to really look hard at. Maybe a nice endurance as some have mentioned with custom scales and a deep carry lynch clip.

I just looked through the whole catalog.

How about a Kapara, that fits everything your looking for really nicely.