New Delica 4 owner questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryanjeepguy

New Delica 4 owner questions

Post by ryanjeepguy »

So Ive had my zome Delica 4 for 2 weeks. Really like the Sal engraved on the blade and the frn handle feels nice. Ive had a Tenacious since last November. Love the way the Tenacious feels in my hand. It feels very comfortable but after watching hours of youtube I felt I needed another knife. I want to like the Delica as much but it doesn't feel as good in my hand. I think it's the thinner shape handle I'm not liking as much. I have 2 weeks to return it. I have not used it other than to fidget. I am looking for other suggestions, a handle shaped more like the Tenacious. There are 2 reasons I am looking to replace the Tenacious. 1 I have heard liner locks are not as strong and safe as a lockback. 2nd is the blade steel isn't the best from what Ive read/watched. Would prefer to stay under $100 if possible.
VooDooChild

Re: New Delica 4 owner questions

Post by VooDooChild »

A lot of people love the delica but a lot of others dont. It doesnt fit my hand either. I would say return it if you dont like it. There are a lot of other knives you might enjoy carrying.

Just look through spydercos catalog and look for handles that look similar to the tenacious and it will probably be close. (Be sure to check dimensions as well.)

A straight spine stretch 2 might be what youre looking for.

I would honestly encourage you to raise your spending limit. At that price range your looking at a handful of seki models, at the 150 to 200 dollar price range you get into the US and Taichung models. If you can spend twice as much then you have options like the shaman, caribbean, military, pm2, and native chief.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Maybe Native 5, or the new s35vn Tenacious lw
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Hello and welcome. Maybe I would suggest a FRN Chaparral, but that may be too small if you have really large hands. Unfortunately under $100 your options are somewhat limited. Perhaps you may like the Rockjumper? It has a more filling grip.

Is there a reason why you feel a liner lock won’t hold up? Liner locks will be fine for most everyday uses. If you want a steel upgrade and like the tenacious there is a new s35vn version as was previously mentioned.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ryanjeepguy wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 pm
So Ive had my zome Delica 4 for 2 weeks. Really like the Sal engraved on the blade and the frn handle feels nice. Ive had a Tenacious since last November. Love the way the Tenacious feels in my hand. It feels very comfortable but after watching hours of youtube I felt I needed another knife. I want to like the Delica as much but it doesn't feel as good in my hand. I think it's the thinner shape handle I'm not liking as much. I have 2 weeks to return it. I have not used it other than to fidget. I am looking for other suggestions, a handle shaped more like the Tenacious. There are 2 reasons I am looking to replace the Tenacious. 1 I have heard liner locks are not as strong and safe as a lockback. 2nd is the blade steel isn't the best from what Ive read/watched. Would prefer to stay under $100 if possible.

Welcome to the forum! :)

1.) I think you probably had wrong expectations for the Delica in the first place. It is a much smaller knife than your Tenacious and just fills a different niche. For the slim size and light weight I find the Delica very comfortable in hand! It has a solid built with liners, but is still lighter than some linerless "lightweight" models. But as VoodooChild said: There seem to be two camps concerning the Delica: Some really like its ergos, some not so much, and as I see it this has not really to do anything with handsize. I have rather large hands and love how much space the Delica offers on the handle, more than all the knives in this size category that have a choil, while I can still choke up on the Ricasso of the Delica just like on a dedicated choil.

If you want another Delica sized knife: Quite a few options there: Para 3 or (what I´d recommend) Sage 5 LW for example. You might have to raise your spending limit though indeed for those models (though you should get a Para 3 LW for around 100 in the US I think)

2.) "Linerlocks not as safe and strong as backlocks":

- Strength: Yes, technically a backlock will be stronger. But imho that strength reserve is of no practical implication. I don´t think that you will ever use your folder in a way that will make a Spyderco linerlock break (I think you almost CAN`T, unless you brutally baton the knife or clamp the blade in a vize and jump on the handle or whatever... ;) )
I prefer a backlock over a linerlock for other reasons, but not cause I ever felt a Spyderco linerlock would be "too weak" - and I do use my knives "hard"

- Safety: Depends on how define the term and is subjective to some degree. But personally I´d say it is technically true again:
+A linerlock will perhaps be a bit "easier" to disengage by accident (not a practical issue at all for me though)
+With a backlock one can keep the fingers all the time out of the blade path when closing the knife (though few do this), not so with a linerlock. Again, for me not really a practical issue (I personally never understood why people are so concerned with "fingers in the blade path", especially on knives with choils. And you can obviously operate your Tenacious (linerlock, NO choil) perfectly well)
+ IF the safety of your fingers is a concern of yours: Imho the backlock (and CBBL) is (are) safer indeed than linerlock or comp.lock, since with the former the blade does get less "floppy" when closing but stays firmly in a half closed position
+ In pocket the backlock is safer concerning accidently opening there. Again, not a practical issue for me. Never had any knife come open in the pocket except BMs axxis lock (which is cool in many other regards, don´t get me wrong)

But hey, I certainly won´t talk you out of a BACKlock Spydie, those are clearly my personal favorites!! ;)
If you raise your spending limit a bit: I second VoodooChilds recommendation of the Stretch 2 or you go for a RockJumper (this one I´d take in SE), if you don´t like wharnie blades wait for the Leaf Jumper we´ll hopefully see...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:56 pm
Hello and welcome. Maybe I would suggest a FRN Chaparral, but that may be too small if you have really large hands. Unfortunately under $100 your options are somewhat limited. Perhaps you may like the Rockjumper? It has a more filling grip.

Great suggestion, and no, the Chap will fit even really large hands imho!

It is absolutely meant and designed for being held with a finger in the choil (much like the Dfly), and doing so my L to XL hands fit very comfortably on the Chap.
Doc (Dan) loves his Chap too as far as I know, and he has really big hands if I remember correctly.

The Chap will always be among my top three Spydies (unless there´ll be a Chap XL some day, that one would kick the regular Chap out of the ranking ;) ), despite I am really not a small knife guy.
But if the OP is looking for a general EDC, the blade of the Chap might be a bit short (though it practically has almost the same amount of edge as a Native)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... Added to my posts above:

If you´re really on a budget but want a backlock knives:
Look into the Byrd line of Spyderco https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/byrd

Really good knives for the money!
If you want a Delica-ish knife with somewhat different ergos (choil): Meadowlark https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -2-FRN/590
For a general EDC I´d go larger though: Harrier or CaraCara
James Y

Post by James Y »

ryanjeepguy wrote:

Hi.

If you’ve been happy with your Tenacious, and it’s served your purposes well so far, why should what someone on YouTube says convince you it’s inadequate? Especially regarding the blade steel. As far as the lock, depending on the knife, a back lock may well be ‘stronger’ and possibly even last longer than a liner lock, but unless you’re doing a lot of twisting, your Tenacious may be fine for most typical uses.

It may look like I’m trying to discourage you from getting a new knife; I’m not. I am saying that if YOU like something and it’s serving you well, don’t let others influence you into feeling that you’ve somehow been wrong.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 am
ryanjeepguy wrote:

Hi.

If you’ve been happy with your Tenacious, and it’s served your purposes well so far, why should what someone on YouTube says convince you it’s inadequate? Especially regarding the blade steel. As far as the lock, depending on the knife, a back lock may well be ‘stronger’ and possibly even last longer than a liner lock, but unless you’re doing a lot of twisting, your Tenacious may be fine for most typical uses.

It may look like I’m trying to discourage you from getting a new knife; I’m not. I am saying that if YOU like something and it’s serving you well, don’t let others influence you into feeling that you’ve somehow been wrong.

Jim

Well said!!

Even more so since many youtube-"reviewers" are not "reviewers" at all, but more "first impression" guys or "what do I think in theory"-folks, who never really used the knife in various tasks. This would still be fine, if they made it clear.

If I believed everything I saw on youtube, I would have missed out on many things I ended up liking a lot...in most any capacity: Steel, locks, handle materials, ergos, what not more...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

K390 Endela
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ryanjeepguy,

Welcome to our forum.

AS you learn more, you will find more and more reasons to select one model over another. Enjoy your Tenacious, which is a very nice design and we sell quite a few of them. Keep learning and you'll find something you want to try.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Another victim of the ''liner locks are not strong reliable locks and backlocks are stronger and better locks'' myth. Spyderco made liner locks are the best in the knife industry and strong enough for a ''normal''(non-abusive) user. That aside, liner locks in general are intuitive and easy to manipulate one hand plus you have have a full grip on the handle when closing the blade. I know people who stay away from superb Spyderco models just because these sport a liner lock not to mention those who wish to alter the mighty Military by implementing a ''stronger''(and maybe more ''fidget friendly'') lock. Did I mention the liner lock is my fav lock ?! :D
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:10 am
Another victim of the ''liner locks are not strong reliable locks and backlocks are stronger and better locks'' myth. Spyderco made liner locks are the best in the knife industry and strong enough for a ''normal''(non-abusive) user. That aside, liner locks in general are intuitive and easy to manipulate one hand plus you have have a full grip on the handle when closing the blade. I know people who stay away from superb Spyderco models just because they sport a liner lock not to mention those who wish to alter the mighty Military by implementing a ''stronger''(and maybe more ''fidget friendly'') lock. Did I mention the liner lock is my fav lock ?! :D

Perfectly said!! :)

Overall I still prefer a backlock, but in some regards the linerlock even beats my beloved backlock: Use with gloves. How no finger has to move away from the bottom of the handle while operating the lock (=the "full grip" you mentioned). So very safe in hand while operating. Easy to "block" if one really needs that (just put some cardboard stripes or whatever inside the handle to totally block the lock)...

I sometimes wonder what people would say if the comp.lock were first, and then Spyderco would have come up with the linerlock as a new innovation... :rolleyes:
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Two reasons to buy a new knife. Because you NEED some feature that it offers over what you already have or because you WANT some feature that it offers over what you already have.

Very few of us fall into the first category. Very few of us use a knife to failure or its full limits other than in fanciful youtube tests. Most of us are lead to BELIEVE we NEED something, but most of us would do just fine with what we have.

The second category is where the preponderance of people fall. We WANT a different steel, colour scale, grind, blade shape, handle shape, lock type, brand name, etc. And that is just fine. But don't let someone else tell you (especially a bunch of self proclaimed knife authorities) what you NEED. It isn't likely true. By all means take everyones advise on cool stuff that you may WANT.

Welcome to the sickness. You will be shocked in a year when you look back at your box, drawer or vault and realize how many Spydies you have bought.

Cheers
standy99

Post by standy99 »

My advice is up the budget and get a Para 3
When you start setting price limits your set in a smaller group of knives which the tenacious and Delica fit.
You want a better knife you have to pay more.

I would keep the Delica as I have been up and down the Spyderco price range and probably use one of several Delica,s I own more.
I do use a lot of knives and models but the Delica is the always handy less issue if I loose it throw in the pocket without having to choose.

YouTube is mostly guys reviewing new knives. Search for the ones where the knife is actually outdoors getting worked. Minute I see a YouTube video inside I cringe.....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RockJumper is what you seek
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
carrot

Post by carrot »

It took me over ten years to come to really appreciate the Delica. Not everyone gets it, and not everyone gets it right away either. If you don't like it, don't let us talk you into it.

I think the K390 Endela sounds like it would be more suited for you. I also think sg88's spot on with the RJ rec, but if you want something fancier than VG10 you'll have to wait for it to get the steel upgrade.

If you want to stay in the same size class as the Delica but beefier, I'd check out any variant of the Para3. The P3LW is one of my very favorites, and it's now shipping in SPY27, though the stock BD1N is already very excellent.
swigert

Post by swigert »

This may not be the answer your looking for but I’d say keep the deli a and use it well for a month. I bet you end up loving it. It’s a fantastic knife and one that for me at least grew in my over time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why not try the Rockjumper? It is well under $100, has a comfortable handle (I'm told), has a backlock, and a blade edge that goes all the way back like you are used to with the Tenacious.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 am

Hi.

Jim

I fully endorse what Jim said. Don't pay much attention to what many Internet self-appointed experts say. You will hear and read there that 8cr13mov blades are a piece of crap and that could be true in the case of blades made by other manufacturers but those of Spyderco, thanks to the heat treatment, are comparable to theoretically superior steels. I recently bought a Meadowlark and am amazed.

As regards the lock ... The claim that backlocks are superior to liner locks is another Internet mantra. I have seen many tests that would make anyone who knows what a protocolized verification procedure is, laugh at. But even if the statement were true, liner locks begin to fail when knives are subjected to forces that 99.99% of users would be unable to exert on them.

So if you're happy with your steel and liner lock, don't feel compelled to buy anything else because the self-appointed gurus on YouTube said so. A different matter is that you want to have another knife and that you want it to be different because of its lock or because of its steel. If so, go ahead! That is the sad story of most of us, who started buying another one and, all of a sudden, ended up having a few dozens (or hundreds) in the drawer .... :rolleyes:

Having said that, if you want to climb steps in terms of steel, you like the handle size of the Tenacious, you don't dislike the FRN, you want to try a backlock, and you want to be under $ 100, my pick would be the Endela. VG-10 steel on a blade nearly the same size as the Tenacious.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)