Spyderco Waiter's Corkscrew

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Spyderco Waiter's Corkscrew

Post by cycleguy »

Has this been discussed before?

I'd be interested in a quality waiter's corkscrew which I know Spyderco is capable of.

Currently getting by with the Henckels' micarta.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
VooDooChild

Re: Spyderco Waiter's Corkscrew

Post by VooDooChild »

Boker has several.

I have no interest in a spyderco corkscrew or wine knife.

I would however like to see what spyderco would come up with if they were to make a modern version of a sak/scout knife/ camp knife, and if those happen to have a cork screw then thats great too. Like a clipitool 2 with more stuff. But I guess at that point you might as well get a sak.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I have to go to school in Orlando every now and then. Last time i went i bought a bottle of Riesling and brought it back to my hotel room (because I'm a lush and had nothing better to do). I realized i had no way to open it and had to go to the hotel lobby to ask the person working. Luckily she opened it for me but i thought to myself how nice a spyderco corkscrew knife would have been. The end.
•• Beau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have neither the need or desire for a corkscrew. So, of course, it’ll be released in Cruwear and micarta. :D ;)
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:01 pm
I would however like to see what spyderco would come up with if they were to make a modern version of a sak/scout knife/ camp knife, and if those happen to have a cork screw then thats great too. Like a clipitool 2 with more stuff. But I guess at that point you might as well get a sak.
Slightly off-topic, but I watched this video from Knife Center today about SAK alternatives. I thought there were some really cool examples there, way more than I knew about.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

There are some nice ones out there. The lever style hinged corkscrews(is that waiter style? I don't know the lingo) seem to work far better than the sak style for me.

As for a Spyderco version, I don't think I'd be into it. Spyderco, for me, is all about cutting performance and superior ergonomics. Neither is very important to me in a corkscrew. The little foil cutter blade is going to dull quickly no matter what because it's cutting against glass and opening 2-3 bottles at the most in an evening, ergos really aren't that important either. I'm sure Sal or Eric could design an awesome wine opener, I just don't think I'd be in the market for it. Now if I worked in a wine bar, I'd be all over it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 am
There are some nice ones out there. The lever style hinged corkscrews(is that waiter style? I don't know the lingo) seem to work far better than the sak style for me.

As for a Spyderco version, I don't think I'd be into it. Spyderco, for me, is all about cutting performance and superior ergonomics. Neither is very important to me in a corkscrew. The little foil cutter blade is going to dull quickly no matter what because it's cutting against glass and opening 2-3 bottles at the most in an evening, ergos really aren't that important either. I'm sure Sal or Eric could design an awesome wine opener, I just don't think I'd be in the market for it. Now if I worked in a wine bar, I'd be all over it.
Exactly!

Seems like today's premium steels are up for this task (what you said regarding foil & glass). There is a thread about a new steel that chops thru nails and remains razor thru paper!!! Can it handle foil pressed to glass????

Also, a Spydie hole would be a noticeable improvement over a nail nick. Heck, even a thumb stud would be an improvement!

This is a tool to perform a single job .... opening a bottle of beverage. Primarily removing a cork; but they are a bottle cap opener as well. These are not trying to be a knife nor a multi tool!

Seems like there is an entire commercial/professional industry for this; and a residential market as well.

I uncorked two bottles this evening. Maybe everyone else is getting theirs from a box ... or a twist cap?????

Pics will explain "waiter's corkscrew"

CG
Attachments
IMG_2378.JPG
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Corkscrew?
Do NOT get a corkscrew anywhere NEAR any of my bottles.
Two-pronged puller--that's it.
But if there was a top-shelf two-prong Spyderco puller, I'd be interested.

IMG_4862.JPG
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How about Spyderco branded wine to go along with that puller?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I will ONLY purchase if the actual corkscrew itself is maxamet or rex-121 at 70 hrc or higher. No I do not want to talk about my drinking
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd be another with a slightly smaller take on the Clipitool more inline with a 91mm SAK, but one-hand opening and unlike the current Clipitool, with back tools like the SAK.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ikaretababy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:16 am
I will ONLY purchase if the actual corkscrew itself is maxamet or rex-121 at 70 hrc or higher. No I do not want to talk about my drinking
I think him this is a job for strength, not abrasion resistance! Better make it low hardness AEB-L! :p
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 pm
Corkscrew?
Do NOT get a corkscrew anywhere NEAR any of my bottles.
Two-pronged puller--that's it.
But if there was a top-shelf two-prong Spyderco puller, I'd be interested.
I was a fan of the two prong for a very long time ... until I had a mishap and sliced my finger on it. There will be no going back.

CG
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm

I was a fan of the two prong for a very long time ... until I had a mishap and sliced my finger on it. There will be no going back.

I know! Right?
That's why I hate Spyderco knives!
I spent all my money on wine and I can't afford bandaids.

The benefit of a two-pronger is that they're better at removing ancient corks from vintage bottles of wine. Screws can break apart the cork and bring great sadness. And the bonus is that two-prongers make you look like a connoisseur, just like a well-executed spydie-flick makes you look like a modern day ninja.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Ah-so.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 pm
cycleguy wrote:

I know! Right?

The benefit of a two-pronger is that they're better at removing ancient corks from vintage bottles of wine. Screws can break apart the cork and bring great sadness. And the bonus is that two-prongers make you look like a connoisseur, just like a well-executed spydie-flick makes you look like a modern day ninja.
I had to go search info on those cork pullers. Interesting, and “looks easy enough”. I will confess I’ve never purchased or opened a vintage bottle of wine. But I have had dried out or shoddy corks fall apart with a corkscrew.

The opener I despise most is that rabbit ear contraption. Ye old free promotional corkscrew combo beer top key is the best I have used, except for rotten corks.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Woodpuppy wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

I know! Right?

I had to go search info on those cork pullers. Interesting, and “looks easy enough”. I will confess I’ve never purchased or opened a vintage bottle of wine. But I have had dried out or shoddy corks fall apart with a corkscrew.

The opener I despise most is that rabbit ear contraption. Ye old free promotional corkscrew combo beer top key is the best I have used, except for rotten corks.
Guys, seriously, wine comes in boxes now. :p
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

RustyIron wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

I'm not familiar with vintage wine drinking but I've come across some current bottles with hard cork material. It doesn't give as most cork does and slipping the prong down between the bottle and cork becomes excessively difficult if not impossible. Hence, the the sliced finger incident.

Maybe a dyad with a corkscrew/lever and a two prong is the ticket!

CG
awa54

Post by awa54 »

A long screw with a sharp tip and thin stock, that's over half the width of a cork is the key ingredient most knife companies fail to include on their wine knives (plenty of $10 French and Italian designed food service grade waiter screws nail this, with cheap looking, but highly effective tools for the restaurant industry).

I prefer slim and simple for styling and no exotic materials are required.

That said, if Spyderco actually produced such a thing for under $50, I'd probably buy one, if it was exceptional, I might gift a few as well.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've mentioned it before, in another thread about something else, but I would buy one instantly. The constant weakness for these is how quickly the blade gets dull, and I think Spyderco would do it better. My vote would definitely be H1 serrated, unless there is something better that I am unaware of.