Just lost my grail M390 PM2.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Duncanpolis

Just lost my grail M390 PM2.

Post by Duncanpolis »

So i just lost my grail knife somehow, had it for a week and now it just dissapears lost somewhere in the metro because i watched the cameras and i exit work with it and come home without it.

And i even knew I wouldn’t have it for long just by looking at it and feeling it wouldn’t be with me in the future, but i wanted to put the supersteel to use and not just hide it in my house, honestly i thought a bigger problem with police checking me and taking it from me but no i lost it the first week.

Its just so sad it was my third folding knife,
it was red like my first knife a red victorinox which i still have,
it was my favourite steel and my favourite looking knife,
i had such luck catching probably one of the few guys in my country who have it and buying it from him.
The day i got it i lost my handfree with which i work and today igot my new handsfree and lost my knife imagine...

If any of you have any stories of losing knives we can mourn together.
And be more carefull with your grail knives and its better to have them fully in your pocket without using the clip my second knife the clip caught on a metal box and bent the clip.I work in a werehouse but I've heard this can also be a problem in the woods.
sal

Re: Just lost my grail M390 PM2.

Post by sal »

Hi Duncanpolis,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your loss.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Duncanpolis wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm

If any of you have any stories of losing knives we can mourn together.
Weep not for those no longer with us, grasshopper. Relish the good times.

My favorite knife for many years was a Benchmade CQC7 LEFT HANDED tanto-combination blade. It lived with me at work and we shared many outdoor adventures. It was a joyous friendship, until the fateful day that I was traveling by plane. It's not what you think. I wasn't born yesterday. I stowed my beloved knife safely in my bag. In the evening when I was unpacking, my CQC7 was GONE! Those slimy dirtbag customs inspectors stole my knife! What could I do? She was gone!

Fast forward about four years. I was packing for another trip. There were many trips since the fateful day my beloved knife was taken from me, and this was not unlike the others. I was somewhere between counting out underwear and socks, when I unzipped a pocket in the bag. Inside that pocket? There she was! My left-handed CQC7!!! She was there all along! The customs guys were honest, and I was a dummy. The knife no longer gets carried, but she's sitting right beside me here in a desk drawer.

With a little luck, maybe your knife will miraculously show up tomorrow or someday soon.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

That is definitely very sad! I have been lucky - I've almost lost several knives, but somehow I managed to find them right away. I hope my luck holds out!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I hope your knife turns up somehow.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I took a day off work, had the money saved, and I refreshed the page like a hacker gone mad. I tried my best to pick up a SpyOpera in the seconds sale. It was in the basket more than once. It dissapeared, computer jammed, and the grand finally, my card declined because of a silly address error. I know it is fomo and stupid. But, I feel like I lost the best chance at a good M390 knife I will have in a long long time. I feel your loss. And, I do hope your knife is just misplaced and will come back one day.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That is definitely unfortunate, but... doesn't bentoboxshop still carry the blue M390 PM2? If red is your thing, you could probably find some red scales on the secondary market. A lot of people don't seem to like red for some reason, so you could likely find a set or even make a trade for scales?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
derp

Post by derp »

I don't really lose things but..
Lost a Manix 2 bushwhacking, a branch must have caught the clip and pulled it out of my pocket. I got a replacement and about a year later lost that one too. Then my wife gave it to me for Christmas as a joke after finding it in the couch. Then about 6 months later I lost it again running errands.

My wife forgot to pack her Tenacious on a flight home once. She didn't realize it was in her purse until it was almost our turn to go through security. Fortunately, there was a trash can and that seemed like the best/easiest option.
Police 4 LW K390|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT Cruwear|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sorry for your loss. it's always tough to see our favorites go. just remember, no matter how much you liked it, it's only a material possession and those can be replaced. i hope you can find another one or something you'll like even more. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Man, that is rough. It is sad to lose such a knife. Years ago, I had a Buck 501 custom shop knife. It had stag scales and was a gorgeous knife. It was with me all of the time. I went to the gym one day. When I got home, I noticed it was no longer in my pocket. I searched my car, went back to the gym and looked in the locker, nothing. Gone forever. The only ones who had a key to that locker beside me were the employees. So...
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Check under your car seat real good and along the side. I lost a little Buck knife and couldnt find it. A week or so later it fell into the back seat where my son sits. He is proud he found it for me when it finally fell out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 pm
Check under your car seat real good and along the side. I lost a little Buck knife and couldnt find it. A week or so later it fell into the back seat where my son sits. He is proud he found it for me when it finally fell out.

Good tip, generally! (That is exactly where I (thought I´d) lost a leatherman Juice once)
But not in op´s case.. he lost it in the subway.. :o
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Duncanpolis wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm
So i just lost my grail knife somehow, had it for a week ....
Man, that that sure hurts, sorry for your loss! Just a week ago your first posts were about asking about that exact knife cause you planned on buying it, right?

I know how you feel:

- Lost my at the time only Stretch 1 some years, which was discontinued already back then and really hard to find. I never, ever had bought backups for knives till then, but after finally finding another Stretch 1 this became the only model I now DO have backups for (just cause it is not in regular production any more): For the story about loosing it and backups in general see THIS thread viewtopic.php?t=83983 I started some time ago,

- And I lost my beloved blue Endura on a mountain hike, shared the story already in another thread about lost knives (viewtopic.php?t=85427) and may copy and paste it to here:

"I lost two Spydercos till now, and the first one also was an Endura (VG10, blue handle). Really loved this knife, it was my most carried by far at the time.
Lost it on a mountain hike, must have fallen out of my pocket somehow. When I realized it was gone I turned around and went searching for it, with a headlamp, for it was dark already. I made almost 6000 feet (1800 Meter) of vertical distance on this mountain, just while looking for the knife, but it was gone for good... :(

Since then I make sure that the pocket clips on my Spydies are rather tight, by bending them down a bit more."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:27 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 pm

Good tip, generally! (That is exactly where I (thought I´d) lost a leatherman Juice once)
But not in ops case.. he lost it in the subway.. :o
I checked my Jeep real good. Looked all over. One day my kid was riding in the back and it fell at his feet.

He was real Proud to find it for me
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Sorry for your loss.
It's strange how that happens, you have that one new and precious item that you watch with your life, and that's the one that actually manages to disappear. I know the feeling.
I've been lucky with knives though, mostly affordable Mora knives that has taken the hit. The only knife related loss that bothers me somewhat is my OG Leatherman SuperTool that took a backseat position when I got a LM Wave a few years later. As it went out of regular rotation I just lost track of it after a while. The SuperTool is an important sentimental piece, I got it for christmas in 1996 and it was my first EDC knife (even though I only learned the term 20 years later, in 2016). I carried it everyday through highschool and college, and the first months of my military service until I got a Wave as birthday present.

Still, it's only a knife. Just get up in the saddle again, cowboy. Get a regular PM2 (or any version readily available) and start enjoying the design. The steel is less important than we make it out to be. And having a similar knife, whatever steel, will take some of the urgency off replacing your loss, and you can take your time to find a new one, or even see if the one you lost finds its way back somehow.

Personally, I usually shy away from sprints and other artificially limited versions exactly because of this. I'm a user, not a collector (although, I sometimes wonder..) and however much I try to ignore it, the fact that I'm using a rare item as a tool is a distraction I don't need. I'm less worried about the price, but even that becomes a distraction if it's too unreasonable.
I will make some exceptions and get sprints if I want to try I new model / design that I'm very hesitant about, and can get hold of it fairly effortlessly, as they are usually easy to flip without taking a loss.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bet you find it in a day or two besides a pallet......

Lost a few off the bait board on fishing trips. Move spots and forget to put knife away....Doh

Lost one for 3 years in the boat. A pacific salt, removed a seat post plug to add a extra seat in the boat and here was the knife I hadn’t seen for at least 3 years. Still in same condition it went in there.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I bought my 15 year old (14 at the time) a camo/DLC PM2 last year. The very first time he carried it out of the house, he walked up to the game store here in town, about 8 blocks away and through a park. On the way home he decided to stop in the park...to do some parkour...in the dark...in February. When he got home, he realized he had lost the PM2. We walked the entire route to the game store several times with high power flashlights, including searching the park very carefully, and we couldn't find it. The next morning after the sun came up, I walked up to the park and immediately found it laying in the grass. It had a bit of frost on it, but was unharmed. He is now much more careful about what knives he carries and what he does while he's carrying them.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For myself, I don't clip knives to my pocket if they are at all important to me. I have had more than one occasion where a pocket knife was pulled off by something hooking the clip.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Was it a DLT Exclusive red one? If so I might be able to help you out. I have a spare. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

The first place I always check is my seatbelts, or on the nylon straps of my backpack or messenger bag. The clips are pretty tight to my jeans, but nylon straps have a habit of finding their way under there.

I almost had a heart attack when I thought I lost my REC Para 3. I have other para 3's, but the green/fde are my favorite colors. I have shoes, bags, gloves, etc. in these colors. Anyway, after pledging my life to getting revenge on the poor soul that found my knife and performing an FBI style search raid on my house, the next day I found it dangling from the seat belt in my wife's car.
Duncanpolis

Post by Duncanpolis »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:45 pm
That is definitely unfortunate, but... doesn't bentoboxshop still carry the blue M390 PM2? If red is your thing, you could probably find some red scales on the secondary market. A lot of people don't seem to like red for some reason, so you could likely find a set or even make a trade for scales?
yeah i first went to bentobox but they wont shop international because of covid.
I dont particually like the red too only that it reminded me of my first knife a red victorinox.