Mule Scale CAD files?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TomAiello

Mule Scale CAD files?

Post by TomAiello »

I realize this is a long shot, but does anyone have a CAD or CNC file of a mule scale that they'd be willing to share?

I have a very small hobby cnc machine and I've been playing with making mock mule scales out of soft woods, but the hard part for me is creating the initial files. Mostly it's just a fun project to do with my daughter, and I never intend to sell the scales (although I'm willing to make them for friends)

Air any rate, I'd love to be able to rough out my scales with the CNC before finish sanding.
izzoyournizzo

Re: Mule Scale CAD files?

Post by izzoyournizzo »

In the same tune, some STLs for 3d printing some scales would be awesome too. I'm considering creating some 3d models myself. I took a look at Thingiverse and couldn't find any. The texture and material could be controlled and the ability to reprint them should they break. Should I decided to take on this project, I'll repost what I created here.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I looked at STLs too, but my 3d printing capability is limited to using or local library (or having it done on line). I think that a good CAD file could be exported and used for both CNC and 3d printing, though.

I am trying to learn to use Fusion (because it has a free hobbyist license) but I haven't really had the time to dive in and make it happen. I'm having too much fun just making scales by hand, I suppose. :)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:13 am
I looked at STLs too, but my 3d printing capability is limited to using or local library (or having it done on line). I think that a good CAD file could be exported and used for both CNC and 3d printing, though.

I am trying to learn to use Fusion (because it has a free hobbyist license) but I haven't really had the time to dive in and make it happen. I'm having too much fun just making scales by hand, I suppose. :)
I can do basic scales in fusion. What are you thinking?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to have a file that was something like the Halpern 3d scale, but slightly oversized (for sanding down to fit). But even a flat scale that was 1/4 or 3/8 thick would useful to me.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:00 pm
I'd love to have a file that was something like the Halpern 3d scale, but slightly oversized (for sanding down to fit). But even a flat scale that was 1/4 or 3/8 thick would useful to me.
Flat is super simple that's mainly what I've been doing. I'm sure I can figure it out. This is a crappy pic of a Vesuvius scale I was messing with.
20210216_135732_compress17.jpg
I also done some blades too.
20210123_220613_HDR~2.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you could do a flat mule scale file, I'd love to get a copy of it. :)

I know I can make it thicker and thinner. I'm still trying to learn how to do the 3d curves for a palm swell and such, but learning is a continuous and lifelong process.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 pm
If you could do a flat mule scale file, I'd love to get a copy of it. :)

I know I can make it thicker and thinner. I'm still trying to learn how to do the 3d curves for a palm swell and such, but learning is a continuous and lifelong process.
How do you want the pin/screw holes? I could put countersunk holes or straight holes for pins.

Edit: Sent you a PM.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

So awesome of you to do this. That is exactly what I had envisioned making. Would you mind passing along the STLs to me as well?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Countersunk holes are better. I'll use corbies for permanent attachments or gulsos for removable, but in either case countersunk holes.

Even just a small (like 1/16) simple hole is good, because I can drill them out. Or no hole at all--although a small hole to mark the center would be very helpful.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I didn't see a PM from you. Maybe it went astray?

The 1/4 Gulso bolts that I am using for removable mule scales have a 1/4 head and a 5/32 barrel (like this: https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/pro ... c5f2&_ss=r).

The 3/16 Corby bolts I am using for fixed mule scales have a 3/16 head and a 1/8 shaft (like this: https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/pro ... 71f7&_ss=r).
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am
I didn't see a PM from you. Maybe it went astray?

The 1/4 Gulso bolts that I am using for removable mule scales have a 1/4 head and a 5/32 barrel (like this: https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/pro ... c5f2&_ss=r).

The 3/16 Corby bolts I am using for fixed mule scales have a 3/16 head and a 1/8 shaft (like this: https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/pro ... 71f7&_ss=r).
Sorry about that I think it was an email not a PM, even though it was through the forum. When I get home I'll make the changes for your attachment types.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is great! I hope you make whatever you work up publicly available (I would like to give this a try).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Without professional level CNC (I'm pretty sure that's how Halpern, for example, is making their scales) there is still going to be a lot of hand finishing. But a reasonable CNC will give you the ability to quickly rough out scales in all kinds of different materials.

I have some redwood I've been stabilizing that I'm planning to use for testing this idea.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am thinking of 3D printing. I don't have a CNC and almost certainly never will. But it would be interesting to see what a 3D printer could do. I am new to the 3D printing game (having only gotten a machine in December of 2020). I got some black carbon fiber impregnated filament for another purpose and that would be an interesting material to try to make scales from.

My design tool is OpenSCAD -- and I am new to it. But I have a pair of the scales Spyderco sold me several years ago to use as a pattern. I can measure them with calipers, or photograph them and then scale the photo and use it to work up a design outline. I could of course photograph and/or measure a mule blade as well. It is all an interesting challenge.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I am thinking of 3D printing. I don't have a CNC and almost certainly never will. But it would be interesting to see what a 3D printer could do. I am new to the 3D printing game (having only gotten a machine in December of 2020). I got some black carbon fiber impregnated filament for another purpose and that would be an interesting material to try to make scales from.

My design tool is OpenSCAD -- and I am new to it. But I have a pair of the scales Spyderco sold me several years ago to use as a pattern. I can measure them with calipers, or photograph them and then scale the photo and use it to work up a design outline. I could of course photograph and/or measure a mule blade as well. It is all an interesting challenge.
I have no formal training just downloaded Fusion and watched some Youtube videos. NYC CNC has a couple of video on making scales in Fusion. Making them flat and with chamfers is easy but not when you want something more freeform. I'm sure someone with experience could do this in a matter of minutes. 3d printing, specifically FDM, is good for prototyping but its hard to convince someone its a finished product. Now SLA 3d printing with resin gets you closer to final product but has some shrinkage that you need to factor in.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

mulescalev2a v1.jpg
This is a basic 5mm thick scale. It's .25mm oversize to allow finishing and it also has 2.5mm pilot holes for pins/screws.

STL file for 3d printing.
Edit: updated model page 2
DXF file
Edit: updated file page 2

I think both types can be modified in Fusion. I like using the .dxf because it just opens a sketch and you can choose to do whatever. I would also like to add I haven't been able to test since my only mule has a permanent handle.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wow! Well, I'm excited and will try to print this tomorrow and see how it works.

Thanks!

If you have looked closely at a Halpern scale (which I think is what Spyderco was selling) as I just was doing, you will see that the shape is a cylinder intersected with a thicker slab. So if I can digitize your outline and get it into OpenSCAD, I can play around with that. Then I will have to mirror image the scale to get the left and right halves. But I'll print yours first, I am getting ahead of myself. Putting texture on the surface of the cylindrical part would be the next step.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Would it be possible for you to make available your scale without the 0.25 oversize? I am looking at a way to extract the outline data from your DXF file and it shouldn't be too hard, then I can play with it in OpenSCAD. I am hoping this is just an easy click or two for you to generate.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Wow! Well, I'm excited and will try to print this tomorrow and see how it works.

Thanks!

If you have looked closely at a Halpern scale (which I think is what Spyderco was selling) as I just was doing, you will see that the shape is a cylinder intersected with a thicker slab. So if I can digitize your outline and get it into OpenSCAD, I can play around with that. Then I will have to mirror image the scale to get the left and right halves. But I'll print yours first, I am getting ahead of myself. Putting texture on the surface of the cylindrical part would be the next step.
I just looked at a few pictures and I think I know how to do it I'm just not at my computer. Fusion lets you do a "plane along a path" that should be able to create the contour. I need to test them to make sure everything is correct. I used a photo from Spyderco.com and my Pd#1 mule to "calibrate" it. I don't know how much mules vary but if someone can try and let me know how close it is.
Attachments
mulescalev2a v1.png
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.