The Shark Hunter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CTomz

Re: The Shark Hunter

Post by CTomz »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm
It could be called the Kaiju Hunter instead :)
Love it. That would get my vote.
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

You guys all have great ideas and input- I think this would make for an AWESOME knife. I think 8~" would be a good, usable size. Beef up the tip a bit while maintaining that mean profile, maybe upgrade the steel, and we have a winner.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This sounds more like a fighter than a dive knife. Sure would be nasty.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm
This sounds more like a fighter than a dive knife. Sure would be nasty.
Actually, it's both! It's for fighting off sharks while diving 😅

Paired with a nice, small chisel-tip dive knife and you're ready to take on the high seas 😁
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

An 8" version would be interesting. That's almost twice the blade length of the original. It's almost too big for my uses though.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm
i bet you didn't expect this thread to turn into a peta meeting.

🤣
Yeah, really funny...
Shark hunter is a bad name, we've agreed on that.
I’m not affiliated with them.
I don’t think people caring about the well being of ocean ecosystems in a respectful way should be laughed at.
Spyderco itself has done great things in helping conservationists. The Whale Rescue blade comes to mind.

Anyway, Kaiju Hunter it is!
It’s a neat concept, CTomz, but to answer the original question, I don’t have as much interest in buying one like I do the existing Fish Hunter becasue I don’t know what you’d use it for (?).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

🤣
Yeah, really funny...
I don’t think people caring about the well being of ocean ecosystems in a respectful way should be laughed at.
Spyderco itself has done great things in helping conservationists. The Whale Rescue blade comes to mind.

It’s a neat concept, CTomz, but to answer the original question, I don’t have as much interest in buying one like I do the existing Fish Hunter becasue I don’t know what you’d use it for (?).
Yeah, I only used Shark Hunter to continue the lineage so to speak- didn't consider the connotations given the current "climate". Sucks certain parts of the world see killing an entire creature only to use less than 5% of their body as acceptable- absolutely disgusting.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

If they put some watu style holes in the handle or some other way to make it a proper spear tip then great. Spyderco makin’ more cutting tools is good.

Although the waterway kinda does all of my fixed blade things and then some. So I likely wouldn’t pick it up, it’d fill the same odd niche the whale rescue blade did.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think it would be a cool knife, and I´d certainly like to see and handle it... but personally would have no practical use for it.
I don´t know about diving and marine environment (not my "natural habitat" ;) ).

But for me the only reason for carrying such a large knife would be chopping power, and that would not be what a scaled up fish hunter would be designed for, unless they totally redesigned the blade (so make it a LOT thicker and heavier, and PE instead of SE). Though I have to say: The handle shape would be great also for a chopping knife with the pronounced hook at the rear end.

So I don´t know.. For me this could only be something like a very nimble, short-sword-like fighting knife (if it was PE)... again nothing I´d have a need for

But, again: Cool idea! :)

EDIT: ...And welcome to the forum, CTomz! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 pm
If they put some watu style holes in the handle or some other way to make it a proper spear tip then great. Spyderco makin’ more cutting tools is good.
This is a cool idea!

I was thinking about what I’d use an 8inch fish hunter for and then realized that it might be good for when I climb through mangroves/trees and can only carry one or two items with me (I do this more than you’d think).
I like to have a knife on those occasions because it can be pretty hazardous with fishing lines and other potentially harmful pollution.
A larger blade would be nice for the extra reach and still relatively light weight, but also has its own drawbacks, so I don’t know.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

At that length it would basically be a combat knife. I've been looking at a lot of Fred Perrin's designs lately and it reminds me of one of his big Military Stilettos.

mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I’m a fan of all gods creatures until one tries to bite my head off. They got teeth, I got a big knife.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

🤣
Yeah, really funny...

i've been in and around the water for most of my life. i've swam with captive sharks in an aquarium, i've done cage dives surrounded by sharks, and i've swam with sharks in open water as well. i'm well aware that sharks are vastly misunderstood and important creatures. however, this guy clearly just spit-balled the name as a larger version of a fish hunter in his first post on the forum and 3 of the first 9 responses were about how irresponsible and terrible the name is. what a welcome that is.

don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating for the shark hunter name (i don't even fish or hunt), but it was obviously innocent. and, even if it wasn't, buying a knife called shark hunter isn't going to turn people into shark murderers any more than buying a native is going to make them run around in animal skins or start flint knapping tools instead of buying knives. as far as i'm aware, no one has bought a shaman and then tried summoning spirits in the hopes of healing others. to be fair, though, i did buy a yojimbo because i wanted to channel feudal japanese warriors.

my response was based on the fact that you all were kind of piling on the new guy quite unnecessarily. and, for the record, i don't think that's funny... but i did think a joke and a laughing emoji would be nicer than the eyeroll emoji. when did we start taking ourselves so seriously around here? this is still a forum about spending too much money on more pocket knives than we can even carry, right?

as to the design idea, i agree that a larger knife would probably not be very welcome in the water. the largest knife i've swam with is a pacific salt. i did actually pull it out and swim with it open just to test how it felt to move through the water with an open blade. it's an unwieldy and uncomfortable feeling to say the least, and that's not even considering carrying it in a sheath somewhere on my body while swimming. the only case i could see made for something like this is if you lived on the water and you needed a larger knife because it was your only survival tool, in and out of the water. i bet tom hanks would've killed to have this tool in cast away. even then, a fish hunter would probably suffice and also be safer. but, hey, i love big knives that i don't need, so why not? :)
CTomz wrote: You guys all have great ideas and input- I think this would make for an AWESOME knife. I think 8~" would be a good, usable size. Beef up the tip a bit while maintaining that mean profile, maybe upgrade the steel, and we have a winner.
ctomz, glad you're here sharing your ideas and i'm glad you don't seem to be too discouraged by the responses. welcome to the forum!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I think "Shark Hunter" is a cool name. :cool:

I don't know that I would find a use for a knife that big, though.
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:43 am

don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating for the shark hunter name (i don't even fish or hunt), but it was obviously innocent. and, even if it wasn't, buying a knife called shark hunter isn't going to turn people into shark murderers any more than buying a native is going to make them run around in animal skins or start flint knapping tools instead of buying knives. as far as i'm aware, no one has bought a shaman and then tried summoning spirits in the hopes of healing others. to be fair, though, i did buy a yojimbo because i wanted to channel feudal japanese warriors.
Exactly! What's going on with you guys?? If you feel the need to virtue-signal, at least spare the new forum member. :confused:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm not virtue signalling. It is a stupid name that presents the entirely wrong image for Spyderco and sport fishermen in general. A name like Shark Hunter is virtual signalling itself, just a virtue that I don't believe Spyderco shares.
As to it just being a joke or "light hearted" name, well Kaiju Hunter fits that so much better.

The OP was not criticized, his idea for the new knife was not attacked, only the poor name choice was criticized. Those saying we need to lighten up should look in the mirror.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Folks, I think it is really cool that someone joins the forum with a nice idea for a new knife as first post, it is clear that "Shark hunter" is more or less just a synonym for "scaled up fish hunter" (so the emphasis is on "shark" not on "hunter") and not relevant if Spyderco would choose such a name for the general market or not (and I am sure they would not!).

Let´s focus on the design and idea itself! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Personally I don't buy the "virtue signalling" argument. Somebody having an opinion about the proposed name is literally just that. If you want to debate the merits of their criticism, so be it, but claiming their opinion is inauthentic or contains ulterior motive is pretty silly. At the end of the day you're criticizing someone for being offended but guess what...you're just offended by their opinion.

Back to the knife...
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

Didn't realize I joined the bleeding hearts forum. Shark Hunter is a fine name, and you're immature or naive if you think it would cause any harm. Thanks for the encouragment from those who are smart enough to realize what the name was really about. Literally just a big Fish Hunter. Guess what? Certain fish species are going extinct- Didn't stop them from using the name Fish Hunter. Take your piss poor attitudes elsewhere- I don't even consider them 😅
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

"Didn't realize I joined the bleeding hearts forum. Shark Hunter is a fine name, and you're immature or naive if you think it would cause any harm."
"Take your piss poor attitudes elsewhere"

Some people brighten a room by entering it, some by leaving it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
CTomz

Post by CTomz »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 am
"Didn't realize I joined the bleeding hearts forum. Shark Hunter is a fine name, and you're immature or naive if you think it would cause any harm."
"Take your piss poor attitudes elsewhere"

Some people brighten a room by entering it, some by leaving it.
You aren't new here, I'm sure you know where the door is. Don't let it hit you on the way out 🤣