Old fixed blades reimagined

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Burton Knut

Old fixed blades reimagined

Post by Burton Knut »

I unofficially nominated Hossom’s fixed blades as the next retired models to get a resurrection thread and @JuPaul offered a second to the nomination and some other ideas, so here we go...

Hossom - just bring back 2 or 3 models, I vote just the largest (Forester) and smallest (Dayhiker.) Maybe we can get the big boy in Cruwear and the small Dayhiker in 10V with micarta on both.

Micarta Streets - how about SPY27 and a dark buffed micarta, maybe dark blue or maroon. What about serrated or wharnie or both?

Southfork - 4V or REX45 and a new color?
kennethsime

Re: Old fixed blades reimagined

Post by kennethsime »

I support all of the above. The Hossoms were just selling out when I started getting into Spydercos about 10 years ago. I think they scream for micarta and tool steel.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd really like to see the Hossoms brought back with thinner edges in a steel that will support those edges.

The Street Beat is my favorite fixed Spyderco. I'd really like to see the micarta version come back, but I'd be thrilled with a run in a nice tool steel with either handle type. M4 and K390 come to mind. Wouldn't say no to an LC200N version either.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting topic. As many of you know I'm probably more "Old School" that most people here. Because I cut my Spyder-Loving teeth on models from the mid 90s till about the mid 2000 decade. Oh there are newer, more recent fixed blade models I like but there is one I'm totally hooked on. And that is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. There are a lot of Spyderco's models from what I affectionately refer to as "The Golden Era Of Spyders" ( 1998-2004)>> of which the TEMP 1 emerged from.

OK this thread is focusing on fixed blades. I do agree with Vivi that the original Streetbeat with the first run Micarta handle was a gem>> no doubt about it. But even with that said my all time favorite FB still is to this day is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. That to me is one that they got absolutely perfect the first time. One very generous new Brother sent me his TEMP 2 to evaluate and check out first hand. So far I like the results I'm seeing. But even with all the good things I can say about that TEMP 2 I'm still liking the TEMP 1 the best for several reasons. The overall ergonomics and the design of that handle is just flawless IMO. It's truly one of Sal's most brilliant "IN HOUSE" designs. It just feels perfect anytime I use it.

For a long time I've made the case that the TEMP 1 would be a perfect model to bring back to the SALT SERIES with a nitrogen steel blade and also make it available in SE & PE both just like the original TEMP 1 was offered in. Or it could be an explosive Sprint Run to bring back in some newer SuperSteel blade. First off it would not only be a great hard use fixed blade but with an FRN handle it could be made more affordable than many of these newer fixed blade models we have now. I think you could start a resurrection of Spyderco's older fixed blades>> and the TEMP 1 would be an excellent model to start with. Again the TEMP 1 still the fixed blade I choose to take with me on about any outdoor venture. And I doubt if I Change anytime soon either. It's already perfect but maybe a newer/better blade steel might be most interesting. But I do like the STREETBEAT for an overall EDC fixed blade carry for everyday chores.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I know that Sal is working on a new Perrin fixed, which I think will be the Spyderco version of the Subway Bowie, basically a smaller version of the Street Beat. Based on various postings I think it will still be FRN and probably VG-10. Just guessing though.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Spyderco’s fixed blades have a strong appeal to me. There are some discontinued models and variations I’d really like to have, but I’m almost more interested in seeing where they’ll go in this market moving forward!

I can think of a few designs which have been mentioned as “in the works”, but with the quality they consistently bring (designs that I think are often heads and shoulders more in line with my preferences than other makers), my biggest wish is to just see more fixed blades.

I will pretty much always be on board for more fixed knives and I have so many ideas, but haven’t quite got around to talking about all of them!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Burton Knut wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm
I unofficially nominated Hossom’s fixed blades as the next retired models to get a resurrection thread and @JuPaul offered a second to the nomination and some other ideas, so here we go...

Hossom - just bring back 2 or 3 models, I vote just the largest (Forester) and smallest (Dayhiker.) Maybe we can get the big boy in Cruwear and the small Dayhiker in 10V with micarta on both.

Micarta Streets - how about SPY27 and a dark buffed micarta, maybe dark blue or maroon. What about serrated or wharnie or both?

Southfork - 4V or REX45 and a new color?
I LOVE all those ideas! I'll second my original second. :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Not interested in Hossom fixed blades (recurve), but Southfork, yes, I could may buy one.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Eee

Post by Eee »

Nice idea. The Southfork or Sprig in a tool steel is the one which catches my attention.

Not so interested in the Hossoms. I had a Forager and whilst it looked gorgeous, it was quite simply the worst Spyderco I’ve ever owned. In fact I’d say it was the only poor Spyderco I’ve ever owned.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Eee wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:23 am
Nice idea. The Southfork or Sprig in a tool steel is the one which catches my attention.

Not so interested in the Hossoms. I had a Forager and whilst it looked gorgeous, it was quite simply the worst Spyderco I’ve ever owned. In fact I’d say it was the only poor Spyderco I’ve ever owned.
Care to elaborate?
Eee

Post by Eee »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:27 am

Care to elaborate?
A few issues. The choil was so sharp, that I cut my finger. A very obtuse and thick edge- more obtuse than my axe. So much so I had to send it to be professionally sharpened and from the comments from the guy I used, it was quite a job. Even then, the combination of quite a wear resistant steel (for a big knife), a convex edge and recurve made it a pain to resharpen. I don’t have a problem with convexes in general, but the combination of all 3 just meant I dreaded having to fix any edge damage. Finally, the balance didn’t feel quite right for my preference. I had a choice of keeping it just because it was a beautiful thing or trading it for something else. I went for the latter.

In brief, most Spydercos may look odd to many eyes, but just work perfectly when you start to use them, the Forager was the opposite- it looked lovely and didn’t work in practice.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Eee wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:55 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:27 am

Care to elaborate?
A few issues. The choil was so sharp, that I cut my finger. A very obtuse and thick edge- more obtuse than my axe. So much so I had to send it to be professionally sharpened and from the comments from the guy I used, it was quite a job. Even then, the combination of quite a wear resistant steel (for a big knife), a convex edge and recurve made it a pain to resharpen. I don’t have a problem with convexes in general, but the combination of all 3 just meant I dreaded having to fix any edge damage. Finally, the balance didn’t feel quite right for my preference. I had a choice of keeping it just because it was a beautiful thing or trading it for something else. I went for the latter.

In brief, most Spydercos may look odd to many eyes, but just work perfectly when you start to use them, the Forager was the opposite- it looked lovely and didn’t work in practice.
Thanks for the details. I don't own one; was just curious.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had similar experiences with the edge of my Forester.

I bought one the same time I got my Scrapyard Dogfather.

Both were 9" choppers so I compared them head to head.

With the factory edges (And Busse does not use particularly thin angles, 25dps+), the Dogfather outchopped the Forester at least 2 to 1. The Forester wanted to bounce off hardwoods more than it wanted to take bites out of it, especially when chopping at an angle as one should.

On top of that, I had one of the scales loosen up to the point it was rattling around and in danger of falling off after 10-15 minutes of test chopping.

Somewhere on one of my old hard drives I have photos from this snowy chop comparison.

I dreaded the idea of trying to fix the edge on the Forester, being a thick 9" recurved blade. This was before I used power equipment. So I let it go.

If they ever come back I'd give them another shot. I'd loc-tite the scale screws this time and use my belt sander to put a better edge on it.

The blade shape is nice and I like the overall lines. I just couldn't deal with the edge geometry.

Still rocking that Dogfather all these years later.

It'd be cool to see Spyderco use S7 sometime. Besides these Dogfathers the only other thing I've seen in S7 was a mace on Forged In Fire :p
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Dayhiker & Woodlander, wow. I'm in love.... :eek:

The larger models are also cool. In my eyes, the two smaller ones are just more organic.

Thanks for bringing these designs up, BK! I support a revival 105%! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:41 pm

For a long time I've made the case that the TEMP 1 would be a perfect model to bring back to the SALT SERIES
I'll admit I would be the second in line, behind you, if they brought the Temp 1 back. I know there's lots of models I've missed out on but the Temp 1 is the knife I look for most.
Eee

Post by Eee »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm

If they ever come back I'd give them another shot. I'd loc-tite the scale screws this time and use my belt sander to put a better edge on it.

The blade shape is nice and I like the overall lines. I just couldn't deal with the edge geometry.

It'd be cool to see Spyderco use S7 sometime. Besides these Dogfathers the only other thing I've seen in S7 was a mace on Forged In Fire :p
By a coincidence, I’ve ended up with a Busse Basic 10. Gotta love those rubber handles.

I’d also agree about being interested in Spyderco doing something with S7. If it was a Forester, I wouldn’t risk it. Lovely looking design though- definitely not designed in the dark.

Now an Ed Schempp camp knife, would absolutely get my attention.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love a Spyderco chopper. I was going to buy a Darn Dao but with all the price increases that isn’t going to happen. The Schempp Rock lacked the mass to actually chop. The Respect is big but it isn’t a chopper and the Province looks great but is just a tad small to be a good chopper. The Forrester was ground way to thick to have any bite.

Give us a 9-11 inch blade that weighs between 1-1.25 pounds with a good grind and an ergonomic handle. Maybe even a Province XL? Maybe in CPM 1V?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 am
I would love a Spyderco chopper. I was going to buy a Darn Dao but with all the price increases that isn’t going to happen. The Schempp Rock lacked the mass to actually chop. The Respect is big but it isn’t a chopper and the Province looks great but is just a tad small to be a good chopper. The Forrester was ground way to thick to have any bite.

Give us a 9-11 inch blade that weighs between 1-1.25 pounds with a good grind and an ergonomic handle. Maybe even a Province XL? Maybe in CPM 1V?
I’ve thought of a really nice, in my opinion, design for a Spyderco Kukri. It shared the same design language or style as the Province.
It’s one of maybe half a dozen fixed knives I’ve designed with Spyderco in mind, if that gives you an idea of how much I admire/want some of their models.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eee wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:49 am
vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm

By a coincidence, I’ve ended up with a Busse Basic 10. Gotta love those rubber handles.

I’d also agree about being interested in Spyderco doing something with S7. If it was a Forester, I wouldn’t risk it. Lovely looking design though- definitely not designed in the dark.

Now an Ed Schempp camp knife, would absolutely get my attention.
I love rubber overmolded handles on fixed blades. On smaller knives like my SRK it makes for a very sure grip, while on choppers it reduces the amount of shock felt when chopping.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:46 am

I feel the same way about all of those models.