What watch you're wearing?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: What watch you're wearing?

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 am
max808 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:32 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 pm
max808 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 pm

It truly is a gorgeous watch Sir, would you entertain an offer on it or is it too special for you?
PM me I can put you in touch with the maker ;)
Thank you for the offer Sir. As luck would have it I stumbled onto this local Seiko from Germany, which checks a lot of boxes for me. First Seiko, first automatic, first dive watch, first satin finish watch, first modded watch. So I jumped on it and couldn't be happier. It lost 15 seconds over 24 hours, is this below or above average in your experience?

seikomod001.jpg

And no, I will not be getting another watchbox to fill up with Seikos!
😎
15 seconds is about the average for a watch at this price…the more you spend is still not getting as good as a quartz watch…I have Omega watches that are 10x the price that are at the under 5 seconds (like Rolex) but a lot more than a Seiko in the $500 price range… That’s just mechanical watches

Something about a mechanical watch though…all the tiny movement pieces only loosing 15 second when there is 86400 seconds in a day. :winking-tongue

“Seiko makes a few movements for differing price ranges up to the Grand Seiko that is very precise” my one I payed a few $$s more for the better movement but it’s still 5-8 seconds a day”

Even the highly reputable COSC certification is not as good as a Quartz watch that could cost $200
COSC’s job is to measure and certify the accuracy of mechanical watch movements, specifically to guarantee that a watch will run within +6 to -4 seconds per day.
Wow, thank you for your explanation. In my 24 hours of now being not only a Casio but also Seiko fanboy I've learned some interesting facts already. This one has a NH35 module, with the second hack, date only, mechanical handwinding auto movement. Time was set to atomic standard via my ProTrek PRW30YT several hours ago. Will report back tomorrow to share preliminary findings. It was gently handwound for a couple minutes without any resistance on the crown. Does the resistance ramp up towards the end of the winding cycle and can you force the mechanism?
Seikonh35001.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:55 am
Oddly I have vintage Omega watches that are in the 1-3 seconds a day

Another gorgeous one, you Sir have good taste in watches.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
standy99

Post by standy99 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:32 pm

Wow, thank you for your explanation. In my 24 hours of now being not only a Casio but also Seiko fanboy I've learned some interesting facts already. This one has a NH35 module, with the second hack, date only, mechanical handwinding auto movement. Time was set to atomic standard via my ProTrek PRW30YT several hours ago. Will report back tomorrow to share preliminary findings. It was gently handwound for a couple minutes without any resistance on the crown. Does the resistance ramp up towards the end of the winding cycle and can you force the mechanism?

Seikonh35001.jpg
No need for hand wind, just shake or roll a few times and wear.

Don't worry about over-winding, the same mechanism that prevents over-winding through the rotor also works for hand winding.

Also you can't over wind an auto but I've never yet felt the point where the clutch mechanism comes into play so don't be surprised if you can't either. 60 hefty winds will charge it fully but you need only do this if you are conducting some sort of timekeeping exercise on the watch that needs it to be fully wound. 12 winds prior to strapping it on will set you up for the day and your movement will top it up.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
max808

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:37 pm
max808 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:32 pm

Seikonh35001.jpg
No need for hand wind, just shake or roll a few times and wear.

Don't worry about over-winding, the same mechanism that prevents over-winding through the rotor also works for hand winding.

Also you can't over wind an auto but I've never yet felt the point where the clutch mechanism comes into play so don't be surprised if you can't either. 60 hefty winds will charge it fully but you need only do this if you are conducting some sort of timekeeping exercise on the watch that needs it to be fully wound. 12 winds prior to strapping it on will set you up for the day and your movement will top it up.
Thanks again for sharing your expertise, much obliged. No timekeeping experiment persé, just my OCD being applied to a new toy... uhm... timepiece. Over the past 24 hours my Seiko NH35 lost 6 to 7 seconds and is now fully wound after feeling resistance/detente on the crown.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

max808

Post by max808 »

Correction, I mistook the handwind for the date adjust. So far 3 seconds slow so better and better every day.
max808

Post by max808 »

It's getting more accurate by the day it seems.
seikonh35002.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:46 pm
Nice Paul , Casio sent me a new drop this morning of new Mudman . Looks great . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
max808

Post by max808 »

Favorite accessory in this picture is my buddy's Chihuahua. The Seiko NH35 movement still losing 10 seconds a day...
babygirl010.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:55 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:46 pm
Nice Paul , Casio sent me a new drop this morning of new Mudman . Looks great . Dan
How are you liking your new Mudman Dan?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Today I'm wearing a Deep Blue diver with T100 tritium tubes.
I mostly have owned dive watches and some Fliegers but in my rotation today I have 2 chronos and 7 dive watches. I also have a separate batch of 5 watches that I wear on weekends, working in my shop, etc. This batch is all quartz and has 3 divers and 2 field watches. In total I have 5 watches with tritium. I wear one of these every night so no matter the time of night I can read the watch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

pro trek to help navigate some unexplored territory

:unicorn
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

For the month of December... :cheap-sunglasses

przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

BB36

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
max808

Post by max808 »

protrekforlife001.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Got a wonderful gift in mail a few days ago ! Thank you Max ! Will always be on military time . Buddy Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Very nice Dan!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Due to my profession, I can’t wear one… it’s very disappointing but also a huge money saver for me cuz I’d have a mechanical watch like a Rolex or patek philippe or something absolutely nuts… and still be driving 20+ year old junk!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006