New Native 5 Salt Owner, rookie back lock fit question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LanM

New Native 5 Salt Owner, rookie back lock fit question

Post by LanM »

Hi guys/gals, new to the hobby and 1st Spyderco owner...got the bug and 2 days ago received my first Native 5’s in LC200N & spy27. Also have a rock jumper and Caribbean incoming.

Quick question on back lock fit. On my salt, a little bit of the leading edge of the back lock seems to have gotten rounded off in production and I figured I’d ask if it would ever be an issue. I’m assuming not since it looks like the pin maintains spacing and the pivot screw could be tightened slightly down the road if it ever separated a little. Aesthetically doesn’t matter to me much, just want to make sure that it wouldn’t cause me problems in the future.

Thanks for any help/input. I’m looking forward to collecting, I’ve only ever carried a Leek or Rat 2. Quite a bit better ergos on the natives.
Attachments
image_123986672-1000x562.JPG
image_123986672 (2)-562x1000.JPG
image_123986672 (1)-562x1000.JPG
sal

Re: New Native 5 Salt Owner, rookie back lock fit question

Post by sal »

Hi LanM,

Welcome to our forum.

Functionally, I don't think it will cause any problems.

sal
LanM

Post by LanM »

Sal, many thanks for the reply! I'm loving the knife.

Thanks again for the verification, I apologize if it was a frivolous question, having the 2 natives side by side was the only way I'd ever have thought to ask.

Your participation in the forum and the degree of active interaction Spyderco has with its customers was a significant factor in my decision to go with Spyderco for my first "good" knife purchase...and after spending some time on here and fully being able to appreciate the degree of refinement and detail you apply to your designs; that first order grew 5 pieces this week. Spyderco's effort in that regard resonates deeply with some of us. Money well spent, and looking forward to adding to my collection.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Welcome aboard. You got an answer from the best authority.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yep. Ignore it and use it as it should be used. Salts need very little maintenance other than sharpening so enjoy it without worry. It will only cause you trouble if you are very "detail oriented" to put it nicely. :)

Joe
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Enjoy the Native. I also find it to be one of the most ergonomic Spyderco knives out there, along with the Native Chief and Manix XL.
LanM

Post by LanM »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad its immaterial. Hasn't left my side since it arrived, just a great fit. It's impossible to fully appreciate the ergonomic differences between models even when watching dozens of videos and photos but I'm glad I chose the native for my first exposure. Didn't last long as the Rockjumper, Caribbean, and ladybug followed a few days later.