The negative blade angle wharncliffe that I wish existed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: The negative blade angle wharncliffe that I wish existed

Post by Fireman »

I wish spyderco would make a utility folder knife with a spydie hole and premium steel blades that I would resharpen. LC200N, S90V and 3V please.
foofie wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:03 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:34 pm
Negative blade angle, but no spydie hole, no comp lock, and no S110V...
This is actually the box cutter I use, for all the reasons behind this design. I use bi-metal blades just to make it look kinda blurple :cool:

I agree with the utility, I like the execution, and I would definitely buy one. Very nicely thought out.
My one concern - the blade is not very covered in the handle. After a few vigorous sharpening sessions, there might be an unpleasant pointy surprise.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Well I just mentally patented the Duelock (see what I did there?) It has two locking positions. It could be any two angles but for this one, a negative angle and an in line position. There are a few ways to skin this cat of a lock system but I am working on what way/s would work best.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

PS
Utility is beauty
Form following function.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

The comparison in use case to box cutters is definitely apt, but those tend to be bulky, with poor materials and poor tolerances that leave the blades wiggling around (not to mention the lack of blade length!). I want something with some quality to it that I can use and rely on when precision matters.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:51 pm
That’s a great question and I’m glad that I can provide an answer to it! :D
Paleontologists can create 3D models of the brain inferred from the bones forming what is called the “braincase” (scientifically known as an endocast).

"experience submitting the design" -

Thank you for answering my query regarding the submission process! I really appreciate that! :)
I do have another question, though.
Did you send the physical prototypes in as well?
I figure that would be the case, but I’m not sure.
Love all the details, and especially the links for further reading! It's crazy what kind of expertise you just run into around the internet.

As for the submission, yeah, I sent in a physical 3d printed prototype, a ~12-page printed design brief (containing some of the pictures and description I posted at the beginning of this thread, plus more details), and a usb stick containing .dxf (2d) and .stl (3d) files for the design in case Spyderco wanted to make their own prototypes.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:30 pm
Well I just mentally patented the Duelock (see what I did there?) It has two locking positions. It could be any two angles but for this one, a negative angle and an in line position. There are a few ways to skin this cat of a lock system but I am working on what way/s would work best.
That would be genius. Sign me up!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Super genius, thank you.
Think compression lock with two notches at the base of the blade around the pivot. The first lock position would be a negative angle and then just keep your finger in the spidie hole and unlock the compression lock with your index finger to release and re lock to the second position is my initial thinking. Needs testing!
carpdiem wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:30 pm
Fireman wrote:
That would be genius. Sign me up!
Last edited by Fireman on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:42 pm
Super genius, thank you.
The first lock position would be a negative angle and then just keep your finger in the spidie hole and unlock the compression lock with your index finger to release and re lock to the second position is my initial thinking.

The trouble would be that the compression lock needs to interact with two sides, one to stop the blade from closing, and one to stop the blade from opening further. So you'd need a second "compression" spring (or maybe you could just have one that's shaped with a fork in it at the end?) to achieve the two positions.

It's a really interesting thought that's going to bug me now!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Yes, I’m using my super genius to figure that out now. I was thinking the first lock position would use the two notches to hold the knife while the second would use the single notch and the pin.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Fireman wrote:

Multilock (5 or even 7 positions) was invented here so many years ago that the patent expired around 3 centuries ago. :D

In this short video (50 seconds) you can see how it works. At the very end (0:40) the blade can be seen going slowly through its five locking positions. And hear it (every click is one of them). :cool:

https://youtu.be/nJW56t5VKg8
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I like it.

I don't see why would I choose a utility box cutter over a dedicated knife design. For one, like @carpdiem said, box cutters are bulky, and the blades are just too bendy, dull too quick and cannot be resharpened. I'm sure there are some folks that EDC box cutters but what would you rather EDC, a knife or those?

If I had the choice, I'd like to give this design a chance. Spyderco has produced way more non-EDC friendly blade shapes and designs over the years, and what I like about this one is that aside from pure utility the design is sound. And the blade shape is way much more easier to sharpen than hawkbills.

Good effort o.p.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Many times I've thought that a dual-locking position folder would add some flexibility in tasking. The need for a secondary stop pin in most designs is interesting - certainly a backlock would be the easiest initial implementation.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm curious about one thing. Have you ever actually tried to sharpen something like that on bench stones? I have, and found it very tiresome, and those knives did not have as much downward rake as yours. It is an interesting design, but I can see why they passed on it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like a negative blade angle. I do think the design is a bit too negative for my needs or for broad appeal. There are a number of Spydies that have a slightly negative angle when you look closely. Others have been more obvious- the Schempp Khukuri, Barong, Balance (still wish I had bought one of these), Kris, etc. The Introvert was another example (and one of the most interestingly engineered Spydies to date IMO). Sadly, most of these models didn't get great traction in the lineup.

The Khukuri and Barong became aftermarket hits just after they were disco'ed, I think it took people a minute to figure them out. I think we also had too much FG g-10 going around at that time. They had weird/large choil areas which probably confused people. I am still surprised that neither have been sprinted or tweaked for another go around. I have the Khukuri and love the performance and how many grips it offers, but I hardly carry it because it would be so hard to replace.

The Introvert had a lot going on, finger ring, flipper, negative blade angle... But it is a great knife. I've wondered how a non- finger ring flipper, wharnie version would look and sell. Chris Knutson are you out there?

I would guess negative blade angles confuse people or they look too "weird" for the average knife buyer. I have toyed with some blade ideas and they always have a slight negative angle. I think you get the benefits, without the looks or drawback of a more pronounced negative angle.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What other knives would do well with two positions?