Removing patina on K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zemogKA

Removing patina on K390

Post by zemogKA »

I picked up a little beast of a Dragonfly in K390 and proceeded to mess it up after cutting some limes. This is my first non-laminated tool steel, I didn't realize it would patina so hard.

Aesthetically I'm not too happy about it, but I can live with it no problem. I'm more concerned that the action is gritty now. I worked on it with Flitz for a bit without any noticeable results. Maybe a high grit sandpaper? Any tips here?

vivi

Re: Removing patina on K390

Post by vivi »

You'll need to remove the blade to work on the pivot

An abrasive green scrubbing pad and bar keepers friend should do the trick. Toothpaste will also work.

Patinas are pretty easy to remove without needing to use sandpaper. I've removed them by accident while scrubbing pine sap off my fixed blades.

Alternatively you could soak the blade in vinegar to help even the patina.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd try a polish like Flitz. That's what I use to redo the patina on my 52100.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Cut more limes! It looks good.
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

Yeah I did remove the blade and used flitz on it. It seems like it did nothing. I'll try the scrubbing pad next, then buy the barkeepers friend if that doesn't work. Thanks.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

First and foremost you should take care of the cutting bevels. Touch up the edge ASAP, it must be kept clean permanently. Pivot area aside, the rest of the blade is not that important... it kinda looks cool but patina on the cutting edge is not good. It could turn red before you know it and this could ruin the edge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Thunderpants wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:01 pm
Cut more limes! It looks good.
I think we have a winner here. :D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Looks like a cammo pattern. I like it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Flitz will do it. Whatever you use wash it off then try a paste wax. That will finish micropolishing it as well as seal away the steel. I use Rennisance wax and have for years with great results. Don't use sandpaper or steel wool. If you ever need that type treatment brass wool doesn't mar the finish as much as steel wool. I buy mine from hobby stores.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good old fashioned white tooth paste and a green pad will take it off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:55 pm
I'd try a polish like Flitz. That's what I use to redo the patina on my 52100.
I was just getting ready to recommend FLITZ myself. Now I've heard that for corrosion of that level you can use automotive grade rubbing compound>> I've also heard that the body shops have high grades of buffing compound that removes that type of stuff nicely.

But do let us know what you find that cures the problem.
Ferdiad

Post by Ferdiad »

I use green stropping compound on an old leather strop on my PM2 K390. It doesn't totally remove the patina, but it blends and brushes it. It's not near as obvious, and the blade looks cloudy. I really like the look.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I know this is a old post but I tried this today with my k390 dragonfly 2. I tried baking soda I tried the potato trick I tried white vinegar and went to the store and got some bar keepers friend the powder and used up half a bottle of FLITZ green ...it came out worse for a while even with the bar keepers and potato 🥔 trick just made it worse on top of that so I used the last half of a bottle of FLITZ andscrubbed it with 0000 steel wool and a tooth brush and got it someone better but still worse then when I began....idk what am I doing wrong?
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I had some uneven patina on my K390 Endela. I scrubbed it with some Bar Keepers and Scotch Brite, then dipped it in some warm vinegar. Helped even it out, but I was adding patina everywhere. But, I like the look of a Patina. Looks old and well used. I really don't know if you can make it look like new without a regrinding it. Just my opinion, but I would keep the patina. It is very unique and one of the reasons I wanted K390.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

400 grit wet/dry sandpaper will remove it. Keep it wet while sanding.
I removed the forced vinegar patina on my 52100 with about 10 minutes of sanding.
Finished up with a 800 grit final sanding, re did my patina to my liking and sharpened on the brown and white rods.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I like patina , I would cut up some meat or fruit to give it more
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red