Failed DMT sharpener

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Josh Crutchley

Failed DMT sharpener

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Have you guys ever had a barely used DMT pocket sharpener start flaking the plating off?
vivi

Re: Failed DMT sharpener

Post by vivi »

no, never had issues with any DMT product. Were you using moderate pressure or a lot of force?
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've had one that was missing media on parts of the stone. Sent it in and they covered it under warranty.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Unlike a lansky you are not supposed to use any pressure. "Let the stones do the work"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

cbrstar wrote: Unlike a lansky you are not supposed to use any pressure. "Let the stones do the work"
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:46 am
no, never had issues with any DMT product. Were you using moderate pressure or a lot of force?
I have multiple DMT diafold and aligner stones. This is my newest one and the only one to give me issues. The flaking started from the very edge. Its a 8k/3micron stone so only used before stropping just the weight of the stone no additional pressure.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:43 pm
I have multiple DMT diafold and aligner stones. This is my newest one and the only one to give me issues. The flaking started from the very edge. Its a 8k/3micron stone so only used before stropping just the weight of the stone no additional pressure.
I have a couple of those 8k/3micron stones. One is very well used, very smooth, but all the abrasive is intact.
Sounds like the one you have flaking is defective. DMT will probably replace it.