Buck 110 talk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Buck 110 talk

Post by vivi »

I used to EDC the regular Buck 110 before I got into Spyderco.

Today I got to check out the new Buck 110's.

The lightweight FRN models, one with a clip, thumbstud and thin handle, and the one with no thumbstud and a thick handle.

Also got to handle the micarta / s30v version.

The S30V model appealed to me. USA made micarta scaled folder with S30V for under $100 seems like a great value. But, the example I handled had very stiff action, lots of play and a smoother scale texture than I expected.

I ended up placing an order for a green FRN Buck 110. Large USA made folder that weighs 3oz for about $30 shipped, not a bad deal. Don't expect it to kick out Pacific Salts and Polices from my pocket, but it'll be fun giving a 3oz 110 a try.

What are your thoughts on the new 110 versions?
:unicorn
jpm2

Re: Buck 110 talk

Post by jpm2 »

I broke blades on 2 of them in the early 80's, and could disengage the lock with certain grip.
I've never bought another since, hopefully their blades are better now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the FRN models are a fantastic value and perfect for gifts and for tossing in the tackle box or tool box. The G10 and Micarta versions have usually been higher quality without noticeable blade play. You can get more custom exclusives from Copper and Clad and skblades.com. They do special runs with BG42 steel, or copper scales, or some other fancy feature. The 110 is a hard knife to beat, even in its heavy brass version. It has had a lot of imitators but not many up to its standard.

Here is an S35VN 110 with black G10 with red micarta liners: https://copperandclad.com/product/buck- ... fe-w-clip/
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 pm
I think the FRN models are a fantastic value and perfect for gifts and for tossing in the tackle box or tool box. The G10 and Micarta versions have usually been higher quality without noticeable blade play. You can get more custom exclusives from Copper and Clad and skblades.com. They do special runs with BG42 steel, or copper scales, or some other fancy feature. The 110 is a hard knife to beat, even in its heavy brass version. It has had a lot of imitators but not many up to its standard.

Here is an S35VN 110 with black G10 with red micarta liners: https://copperandclad.com/product/buck- ... fe-w-clip/
The Buck 110 started it all for me in the early 80’s. Just an absolute Stud on the Mt. Rushmore of folders💪
4E0072B7-9D8D-49A6-9624-E8396F0EE04D.jpeg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have two different standard 110s ('74-80 with the 440C blade, and 2016 with the 420HC blade), and two "LTs"; the SK Blades CPM-154 "Shield" with blue handles, and a 110 LT Slim Select in blue. Currently, I carry the Slim Select the most. It's the lightest and slimmest 110 I have, one-hand opening, and has a clip. It pocket carries so well, once I went to bed with it clipped to my sweatpants, and didn't notice until I got up the next morning. Usually, it's slim knives under three-inches closed that carry like that, not five-inches closed. The 440C was my great-uncle's. I think the 440C standard steel was the best; though I can tell, the CPM-154 is MUCH better in edge retention.

Standard 110s are really heavy, and you have to have a sheath on your belt. I prefer the nylon option since it allows horizontal carry.

Anyone here have an aluminum (not brass) frame model? I'm wondering weight and bulk-wise, how they are.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Aluminum frame models are about the same girth, but they are a lot lighter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

My first 110 was made around 1966-1967 or so. It came so sharp that another boy cut himself probably ten times before he noticed it while looking at the knife. It was 440C. That was one stout knife! It still is. It has cut down saplings, trimmed trees and cow hoofs. It has done things I would not put other knives through and it still locks up tight to this day. My other 110 is a 425M version from around 1980-1982 or so. My memory is foggy. It is still as tight as the day I got it. The blade has a few chips. Blood has tarnished the brass. But it is still a fantastic and strong knife.

Back before people were calling it the Spydie drop, that is the way we opened the 110.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have a brass one from the early 90’s and like it. They are a good value and American made by an honorable company with a great warranty. Unfortunately they are heavy two handed openers that usually have blade play and they lack pocket clips.

Some of the new lightweight versions have really interested me. Almost bought one from SK multiple times but keep holding back because of blade play I experienced on some of the classic models.

In the end I do think they make great fixed blades and folders at good prices. I used to use them quite a bit by my tastes and expectations have evolved over the years and I tend to carry nicer knives now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thank you first of all for putting up this thread. The Buck model 110 is one of the knives that I cut my teeth on all the way back to the 70s. When I was a teenager it was kind of a "rite of passage" to get your first Buck 110 model.

That "BUCK-Lite" model you have on that one pic on the bottom I still have. I've had it since the late 80s. But overall I've always had a lot of respect for Buck's products. They were one of the few knife companies that also had decent sharpening equipment as well. The Buck 110 is legendary
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 am
M Sea wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thank you first of all for putting up this thread. The Buck model 110 is one of the knives that I cut my teeth on all the way back to the 70s. When I was a teenager it was kind of a "rite of passage" to get your first Buck 110 model.

That "BUCK-Lite" model you have on that one pic on the bottom I still have. I've had it since the late 80s. But overall I've always had a lot of respect for Buck's products. They were one of the few knife companies that also had decent sharpening equipment as well. The Buck 110 is legendary
So true. It really is probably at least in my opinion the most iconic large folder ever made. Its just a true icon. The Lite model you mentioned is my favorite and still razor sharp. No-one puts a heat treat on a budget steel like Buck. They are so good at that. Love Love Love me some Buck 110!!!!!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here in Missouri USA where I live I remember back in the 1980s it seemed like most all the guys I knew at the time had their Buck Model 110 carrying it in the classic belt sheath. And during deer season almost everyone I knew had a Buck 110 or some other knife company's imitation of a Buck 110 on a belt sheath. And by the 90s there were several other knife companies that did have their version of the Buck 110.

Schrade and Case were two of the more common ones that had a Buck 110 look-a-like model. And to be truthful some of those were not bad knives either. I distinctly remember that Ka-Bar for instance had a couple of models that had similar features and traits of the Buck 110.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

About 20 years ago I was at the BASS PRO headquarters in Springfield Missouri during hunting season. They had the Buck 110 and the model 119 fixed blade Buck both in that "Ion Fused" blade that you were only supposed to sharpen on one side :confused: >> and I bought that 110 model but traded it shortly thereafter. For whatever reason that was one Buck 110 version that just never took off. I guess because most guys I know were baffled at why you would only sharpen a blade on one particular side :confused:

I don't mean to take this thread in another direction at all but that was one version of the Buck 110 that was popular but for a very short time. Anyone remember that one?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The new FRN model looks a lot like the Original Cold Steel Voyager, except with a shorter blade.

James Y

Post by James Y »

My favorite variant of the Buck 110 is the Buck 560. It’s a 110 with a titanium handle. I was able to get mine for a reasonable price at at a sale at the Buck Knives factory store in El Cajon, when they were preparing to relocate to Idaho.

Jim
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The 110 is an undeniable classic and a beautiful looking knife. That said.. I bought one (standard model) on sale about a year ago and and have carried it exactly zero times. I actually audibly laughed at the heft of it when I opened the package it arrived in. It's a great knife and I love the history of the model and company, but it's just not practical up against more modern offerings. It sits on my desk as a paperweight/letter opener and truly excels in that role! ;)

I've been intrigued by the LW 110 models, but then I get a glimpse of that pocket clip and it puts any notion of clicking "buy" out of my head. Combined with the f&f accounts that I've heard, I don't think the LW is for me.. I have so many knives at this point that I would carry over the Buck, I just can't rationalize buying one.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
vivi

Post by vivi »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:55 pm
The 110 is an undeniable classic and a beautiful looking knife. That said.. I bought one (standard model) on sale about a year ago and and have carried it exactly zero times. I actually audibly laughed at the heft of it when I opened the package it arrived in. It's a great knife and I love the history of the model and company, but it's just not practical up against more modern offerings. It sits on my desk as a paperweight/letter opener and truly excels in that role! ;)

I've been intrigued by the LW 110 models, but then I get a glimpse of that pocket clip and it puts any notion of clicking "buy" out of my head. Combined with the f&f accounts that I've heard, I don't think the LW is for me.. I have so many knives at this point that I would carry over the Buck, I just can't rationalize buying one.
That's about how I feel about the OG 110. Undeniable classic, gorgeous knife, rich history....but for me the Police 3 dethroned it as my go to large lockback folder.

The 110 LW seems like a nice alternative to chinese budget folders. Mine will likely end up in a glove box, tool box or similar, rather than my pocket, which is the same type of role Cara Caras get.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm
The new FRN model looks a lot like the Original Cold Steel Voyager, except with a shorter blade.

That they do.

I really liked that generation of Voyagers. I think it was the second. The first has molded clips like the old Enduras, then they moved to metal clips and thicker scales, before the third gen introduced liners and triad locks. That second gen had stiff, robust FRN handles but were very light due to no liners. About as close as we got to an Endura 3 XL in a lot of ways.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:10 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:11 pm

That they do.

I really liked that generation of Voyagers. I think it was the second. The first has molded clips like the old Enduras, then they moved to metal clips and thicker scales, before the third gen introduced liners and triad locks. That second gen had stiff, robust FRN handles but were very light due to no liners. About as close as we got to an Endura 3 XL in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I remember the molded clips, those didn't last very long before they changed them however.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a large 4” first generation clip point Voyager with the zytel integral clip. I also have one in second generation with the metal clip, only with a tanto blade. Both of mine are in AUS-8 steel. But TBH, I’ve never liked Cold Steel’s clips, even the steel ones.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:29 pm
I have a large 4” first generation clip point Voyager with the zytel integral clip. I also have one in second generation with the metal clip, only with a tanto blade. Both of mine are in AUS-8 steel. But TBH, I’ve never liked Cold Steel’s clips, even the steel ones.

Jim

Jim,

I know what you mean.

I always thought they wreaked the pockets way too fast.

Jim