Larger knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Larger knives?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I found myself on a journey for the best knife steel. It seemed more often than not Cruwear would be mentioned as the best all around steel. That pushed me to the secondary market because its not a full production steel. I couldn't seem to find anything other than Delicas and not being sold on frn at the time I passed them up. That didn't leave me much choice if I really ever had one. The only thing available was a old beat up manix 2 so I pulled the trigger. This is the first knife I stepped out of my comfort zone for. I was blown away by the ergonomics. It seems no matter how I hold it never feels too big. Strange because I always found myself overlooking knives larger than 4.25" closed. I even bought a Tenacious hoping I would like it. It never felt right in my hands so I gave it to my brother. I would even filter all my search results to show only sub 4.25". It was like I shut out a huge part of the knife world for no reason.

So I sit here looking at my 2 manix 2s while waiting on a PM2. Why did I wait to try larger knives? I'm not really sure on that. Was the Manix 2 just that nice or has my opinion changed of large knives? That is what has me confused because I just sharpened my old Tenacious and I think I was wrong. It no longer feels too big seems just right. Now if only my wife was excited as I am about getting more knives. I went from a little buck 726 spitfire S30v as my only knife to 4 :spyder: (cruwear,maxamet,pd1,s110v) and I know more is to come.

Has anyone else been put off of a knife because it looked to big? How about some other trait you hated but later loved?
Wartstein

Re: Larger knives?

Post by Wartstein »

Well, for me in use a larger folder is always more versatile, more capable and more useful than a smaller one when it comes to every day carry and the various tasks that might occur.
This is both true for the blade/edge (more reach, longer edge takes longer to dull, easier to cut stuff with larger diameter, more ergonomic, natural, single cutting motion even when thinner stuff gets cut and so on) and the handle (more grip options, easier to design it so that it has good ergos) - while I still can "shorten" a larger folder if I want to by pinch gripping the blade or choke up on the edge).

Where a folder can get too large for me is mainly in carry - I usually carry RFP, and the Endura is the maximum length for that. Anything longer (or as long as the Endura but with a for me (!) "silly" deep carry clip) can get inconvenient when riding a bicycle or making higher steps while mountain hiking.

Actually, the Manix (I have two LW) for me is a small folder offering perfect and generous ergos. But the cutting edge is so short that it limits its versatility already and I carry mine despite the short edge (not much longer than on a BM Minigrip) cause I like the general design that much. Especially the ergos: I find them to be great for frequent use, though not so much for prolongued use (if used for a longer period of time without a break, knives like the Stretch 1 are more comfortable and give me less hotspots)

/ As for a trait I came love only later: FFG SE. Though I never actually "hated" it, I also never really tried it. As soon as I did FFG SE clearly is what I prefer over any other edge configuration (on a folder)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:27 am

/ As for a trait I came love only later: FFG SE. Though I never actually "hated" it, I also never really tried it. As soon as I did FFG SE clearly is what I prefer over any other edge configuration (on a folder)
I want to try H1 in SE just haven't found the one yet. They say H1 is better in SE because it work hardens. I'm also looking for a Superhawk at a reasonable price. I think I'll settle on a Tasman salt or Spyderhawk.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:49 am
Wartstein wrote:

I want to try H1 in SE just haven't found the one yet. They say H1 is better in SE because it work hardens. I'm also looking for a Superhawk at a reasonable price. I think I'll settle on a Tasman salt or Spyderhawk.
Well, H1 in SE is really good (never had it in PE, so can´t compare).
But it comes in hollow-sabre grind, and what I personally prefer is ffg SE... if you´d like to try that, I can strongly recommend the Endela SE: Perfect SE blade in my opinion, and has a size you probably would like: In the length dimensions practically the same as the Manix (just a tad longer cutting edge), but of course slimmer/less tall. Quite affordable too, and VG 10 is great in SE!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am
Well, H1 in SE is really good (never had it in PE, so can´t compare).
But it comes in hollow-sabre grind, and what I personally prefer is ffg SE... if you´d like to try that, I can strongly recommend the Endela SE: Perfect SE blade in my opinion, and has a size you probably would like: In the length dimensions practically the same as the Manix (just a tad longer cutting edge), but of course slimmer/less tall. Quite affordable too, and VG 10 is great in SE!!
The ffg SE on the Caribbean lc200n looks nice. Thats a knife I never would've considered a few months ago.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am
The ffg SE on the Caribbean lc200n looks nice. Thats a knife I never would've considered a few months ago.

Sure, if you want to spend a bit more than for an Endela SE the Caribbean SE must be a perfect choice!! I never had one, but people who know more than me do very much like it (see here viewtopic.php?t=85045 for example)!

I´d certainly have a Caribbean SE myself already if it came with a backlock (that´s why I am really hoping for a Leaf jumper SE XL.. :rolleyes: )!

/ In a way we went off topic pretty fast by discussing SE, but actually we´re still talking about larger knives ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came from a 3 inch limit, mostly because that was the law of the land when I was a kid, it was just assumed that the law was anything bigger was illegal. At the time it felt like I was holding a sword if I had a pocket knife bigger than 3.5 inches. I guess it was probably the Para 2 and Manix 2 that warmed me up to bigger knives and then the main knife that got me loving larger blades was the Military. I carried a Military for a couple years exclusively and after that my Manix 2 felt like a paring knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean is the answer.

Not TOO big. But, big enough for any task you'll ever have.

Also, LC200N is the best all around steel. No contest ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:39 am

Military edge length in a Para 2 sized handle. It's a beautiful thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm really liking my caribbean. the ergonomics are great. it's not as fun to play with as my yojimbo, but it's been great carrying it for the last few days. i went from carrying my pac salt along with a manix or yojimbo to only carrying my caribbean sheepsfoot se. it's a very good compromise. i'll probably post a review/comparison before too long, but i want a little more time with it first.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Well, for me in use a larger folder is always more versatile, more capable and more useful than a smaller one when it comes to every day carry and the various tasks that might occur.
This is both true for the blade/edge (more reach, longer edge takes longer to dull, easier to cut stuff with larger diameter, more ergonomic, natural, single cutting motion even

Well thank you Wartstein for supporting what I've believed in regards to larger folders making ideal EDC Folders. When I first got my M390 Military in a nice trade about 4 years ago I first thought that it would only be good as a hunter-folder. But I went ahead and EDCed it anyway and much to my surprise I soon discovered that a bigger/longer blade became very ideal for so many jobs I encountered in my daily uses.

Now there is always the hurdle of many places having unreasonably strict knife laws that prevent a guy from carrying a bigger folder( or fixed blade). But here in Missouri we have really decent blade laws. We have a 4 inch limit on folders and I've never ever been called down for carrying fixed blades during hunting seasons. But my C-36 Military has come in extremely handy at times. But I'm glad to see that you and a few others actually "get it" ;)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I used mostly 3.5" knives, like the Manix... but 3.5" blades with a choil have edges no longer than My 3" Lil' Temp and Hanan.

So now that my Hanan owns my pocket, when I want a larger knife I go up to a 4" blade. The Military is particularly versatile because it is so easy to choke up on.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:05 am
So I sit here looking at my 2 manix 2s while waiting on a PM2. Why did I wait to try larger knives?
PM2 is the smallest knife that I carry.
Wartstein wrote:
Where a folder can get too large for me is mainly in carry - I usually carry RFP
I carry clipped in RFP and have no problem carrying a Military. I frequently carry a Manix2 XL and it isn't a problem either but I also carry my cellphone in the same pocket and it can be hard to get out with the M2XL also there. But weight and thickness can be a problem. I once bought a 4" folder of another brand and its weight and thickness were beyond my comfort zone.

For awhile the limit for legal carry in my state was 5.5" blade length. I had an idea to buy a Tatanka to carry occasionally just because I could, but I never found one at a good price at the right time. Then our state law changed and my plan became meaningless.

I should carry my Military more.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:12 pm
But here in Missouri we have really decent blade laws. We have a 4 inch limit on folders and I've never ever been called down for carrying fixed blades during hunting seasons. But my C-36 Military has come in extremely handy at times. But I'm glad to see that you and a few others actually "get it" ;)
In Michigan the laws only restrict concealed fixed blades and double edge knives. There's no limit on length except in Detroit and Lansing. I think next year Im on the hunt for a Temperance 1 or 2. Its the name of the town I live in so I think its cool plus they're badass. Jumpmaster looks good too.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:39 am

Military edge length in a Para 2 sized handle. It's a beautiful thing.
I am also a big Caribbean fan. For me at least, it's pretty much the perfect work knife. I am very happy to have snagged one several months back after reading so many good things here. Definitely gravitate towards larger folders when work is concerned.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:05 am
The only thing available was a old beat up manix 2 so I pulled the trigger. This is the first knife I stepped out of my comfort zone for. I was blown away by the ergonomics. It seems no matter how I hold it never feels too big.

I don't want to be an enabler... but...

When the Manix 2 XL came out I wasn't interested because the Manix 2 was so darned good. Why mess with perfection? Then the XL was offered in M4 and I became curious. I bought two, with he intention of selling my least favorite. When the knives were delivered, I was disappointed that they were so big. But being an open-minded sort of bloke, I carried one for a week. In the space of five days I fell in love with the XL. The handle fits me BETTER than the regular Manix 2, and a larger blade is always welcome. The XL was so good that I decided to keep both.

If you thought the Manix 2 would be too large and were pleasantly surprised, be careful about trying out an XL. You might just set your old Manix aside, in favor of the BEST sized knife.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:21 pm

I don't want to be an enabler...
Don't worry SWMBO said I hit my limit this year. Good thing its almost over :D I picked up a Byrd hawkbill SE after the seconds sale. I couldn't help myself I saw a good deal.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Don't worry SWMBO said I hit my limit this year. Good thing its almost over :D I picked up a Byrd hawkbill SE after the seconds sale. I couldn't help myself I saw a good deal.
Awesome! After your wife sees how much you saved, I'm sure she'll authorize a more generous budget for the new year. (Just in time for the new Reveal!)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

West Virginia has a 3.5" limit. Yeah, I live in VA, but I do 3/4 of my business and shopping in WV. That means I have to pay attention to that. My "do-all" blade is usually about 3" or so, and most of what I carry for EDC. My work knives are the Buck 110 Slim Select and Byrd Cara Cara 2. The Byrd is a beast, and is a very effective cutter, being the Rescue model. I've planned to get an Emerson PE version, but keep putting it off.

Funny story. Once, a woman freaked out when I drew a Victorinox Classic SD to cut something out of paper. Yeah, a two-and-one-half inch closed knife. I'd read the community college guidelines (4" limit!), and yeah, my small Classic SD was well within their blade limits. I actually had the smallest knife in my group at the time, and it was my secondary carry at that time. Given what I knew about this woman; I'm not sure if it was that, or the US Navy logo on the handle (one of the series with inlaid service seals the PX/BXs sold in the '90s). In most places around here, well, most people own and use folding knives. Farmers and coalminers built this area, but there has been a huge influx of people from out of state.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carry large folders daily, and have for decades. Never had any issues, even using knives like the Police at work.

The Military / Police / Manix XL trio are my favorite sized Spydies. The Pacific Salt/ Endura 4 is the smallest I carry. I own larger knives like the Szabo and my Voyager XL, but the trio I mentioned above hit the sweet spot for me.

Each one fits my grip like a glove, while Endura 4, manix 2's and Para 2's feel small in my hands.

I've always lived in areas and worked at companies where I can carry whatever I please.

I don't find smaller knives very useful. I always have a smaller knife on me in the form of my Leatherman Squirt, but I couldn't tell you the last time I cut with it.

Years ago I'd carry a UKPK and Military. Eventually I realized the latter can do everything the former can, and that for whatever reason I simply don't encounter people scared of big knives.
:unicorn