Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Sage 1 Cool Grey Maxamet

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm
Piiiiics please :)
Not the best pic but here you go!

It's nice to have a new version of the Sage 1. It's one of the sharper factory edges I've had. Grippy G10 is nice too. It also feels a little smoother than my other Sage 1. That could just be because it's brand new or simply a difference between two individual knives. I looked at the detent ball and it looks like it might be ceramic. Hard to say for sure though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Looks great, thanks! Any reason ceramic balls aren't the new standard? While not always necessary, it seems like it could benefit the make and the user from a longevity standpoint.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the pics. Mine should arrive Monday and I'm so excited. New EDC right there.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I have one on order also. Does anyone know for sure if the detent ball is ceramic?
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:53 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm
Piiiiics please :)
Not the best pic but here you go!

It's nice to have a new version of the Sage 1. It's one of the sharper factory edges I've had. Grippy G10 is nice too. It also feels a little smoother than my other Sage 1. That could just be because it's brand new or simply a difference between two individual knives. I looked at the detent ball and it looks like it might be ceramic. Hard to say for sure though.
Dang that looks sweet. My bank account is a bit depleted atm, but this knife is at the top of my list.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:02 pm
Any reason ceramic balls aren't the new standard?
Don't know. I would think they'd be but I've never heard any official word they're actually being used. The detent ball in my Swayback looks like it might be ceramic too. Maybe they've finally decided to change?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:13 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:02 pm
Any reason ceramic balls aren't the new standard?
Don't know. I would think they'd be but I've never heard any official word they're actually being used. The detent ball in my Swayback looks like it might be ceramic too. Maybe they've finally decided to change?
The watu has a ceramic ball as well. It would appear to be standard. In Taichung at least.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

OK, random question a buddy just asked me and I’d like to get your opinions on it:

Can you swap the Maxamet Sage 1 blade into a Ti Sage 2?

There’s obviously never been a need to do so before with both models being the same steel, but now there’s a Maxamet Sage 1, it may open up that possibility. Any ideas from someone who has both?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:35 am
OK, random question a buddy just asked me and I’d like to get your opinions on it:

There’s obviously never been a need to do so before with both models being the same steel, but now there’s a Maxamet Sage 1, it may open up that possibility. Any ideas from someone who has both?

Since a liner lock is thinner than a frame lock, wouldn't the lock faces have different geometry? PS, I know nothing about knife making.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is this the thinnest blade stock/grind of all the maxamet models? I'd assume the sage 5 would be the one that got the Maxamet, considering it's a regular model, but glad older ones make a come back
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:35 am

Just tried it with mine and they won’t swap. The locking faces are different. The non locking scales will swap but not the lock side. But the good news is it gave me a chance to clean mine up and lubricate them.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

D-Wade wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:06 pm
Just tried it with mine and they won’t swap. The locking faces are different. The non locking scales will swap but not the lock side. But the good news is it gave me a chance to clean mine up and lubricate them.
Awesome, thanks very much for checking and letting me know. Hopefully this will save my friend from an impulse buy of a Sage 2 to try it! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:54 pm
Is this the thinnest blade stock/grind of all the maxamet models? I'd assume the sage 5 would be the one that got the Maxamet, considering it's a regular model, but glad older ones make a come back
I'm happy the liner lock model got it and not another compression lock. There's plenty of those already.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

Sages are the perfect all round knife. I recommend it to anyone who asks and I have be collecting and evaluating knives for 30+ years.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have to say, of all the Maxamet models, this one speak to me the most.
The wire clip is in the ,,eh ok,, cathegory, but no knife is perfect.
If I was not so set on getting a Caribbean next year, this Sage could be my next knife.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:41 am
I have to say, of all the Maxamet models, this one speak to me the most.
The wire clip is in the ,,eh ok,, cathegory, but no knife is perfect.
If I was not so set on getting a Caribbean next year, this Sage could be my next knife.
Yeah the wire clip is a negative for me, that and the handle needs neutralizing, and the spine needs lowered. Other than those, it's the perfect knife :)
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

I like the wire clip, that’s what drew me to the Sage series in the first place and it fits real nice in the hand. I have three knives that are my favorite, the Sage models, Para 3 (with Lynch deep carry) and the Benchmade 940. Hoping for a Sage 5 LW in 52100 and K390 in the future as well.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

D-Wade wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:39 pm
I like the wire clip, that’s what drew me to the Sage series in the first place and it fits real nice in the hand
I like everything about the Sage models too, including the wire clip.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The clip is weak and snags more than the spoon.
The handle is great in a few positions, but not so good in the other 20.
I can fix the handle but not the clip.
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:20 pm
The clip is weak and snags more than the spoon.
The handle is great in a few positions, but not so good in the other 20.
I can fix the handle but not the clip.
Casey lynch makes a nice titanium clip that will replace the wire clip. I mean it's an additional expense on top of the cost of the knife but if that it one of your major complaints at least you have another option.