Bill Moran with new steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Bill Moran with new steel?

Post by Pancake »

In some recent thread about Spyderco model and steel combination there were quite a few members talking about Moran Fixed blade with some ,,upgraded,, steel.

Since the research and development is already done for this model, and there are FRN molds for it, why not just stick some new and hot steel in it?
Made in Japan, laminated HAP 40 could be done. Or SG2, or (non japanese) K390 or Cru-Wear.

Good or bad idea?
Maybe a sprint run?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Pancake

Re: Bill Moran with new steel?

Post by Pancake »

Noone? FeelsBadMan
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I still think VG10 is pretty neat... I can’t keep up with all of the new steels.

I’m boring I guess.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I would love to see it done in a Japanese steel like SG2 or SRS13. Changing the FRN handle to something earth-toned would be a nice match I believe.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

LC200N and take my money.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
storyville

Post by storyville »

Moran with HAP-40 laminate would seal the deal for me. Cru-Wear or K390 would also make a lot of sense.

Upgraded stainless would be interesting, too. I love LC200N, although I'm not sure it needs to be here, since the Moran isn't a 'water knife' in particular. But CPM [fill in latest high-end wear resistant version] would be very cool.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What makes LC200N good for the sea makes it good for hunting and food prep. It shines in corrosion rich environments but it is not a one trick pony. I see the Moran as a great belt knife for general purpose camping/hunting etcetera. The plastic handle with LC200N make a winning combo and would make it an everything and anywhere knife.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm
What makes LC200N good for the sea makes it good for hunting and food prep. It shines in corrosion rich environments but it is not a one trick pony. I see the Moran as a great belt knife for general purpose camping/hunting etcetera. The plastic handle with LC200N make a winning combo and would make it an everything and anywhere knife.
Agreed, I even made a thread about it that went mostly unnoticed. :(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Chieforman

Post by Chieforman »

We are living in the Golden age of knife steel
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

LC200N everything.
Tough
Impervious
Edge retention is good as well as ease of edge tuning.
Would make a good heavy duty chopper to a neck knife.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

LC? Hmm, maybe, but it's not as exciting in my eyes as SG2, SRS13 or even K390
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

We see most requests for Sprint Runs of folders and I'm so grateful for all the great Sprint Run folders we've had. Not to mention the Sprint Run of the new C-60 Ayoob in the near future.

I would certainly like to see some Sprint Runs in some of Spyderco's great fixed blades>> and with newer/better blade steels as well.

The Moran and the STREETBEAT both would be excellent choices for Sprint Run fixed blades.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wrote up a little reply about a thought I had of a Loveless infused Moran. I figured it would be very neat to see those two great makers represented in a single knife. Essentially a Moran using ATS34 or RWL34 steel with a tapered tang.
However, that may in some way be undesired here given the particular nature of this knife.
Or perhaps not.
What do you think?
With all that said, I’d like to see this knife become more popular. The Moran is so unique and deserving of more.
If it means using a higher end steel, then by all means do it. Any of those mentioned above sound good. I’ll buy one.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:00 am
Wrote up a little reply about a thought I had of a Loveless infused Moran. I figured it would be very neat to see those two great makers represented in a single knife. Essentially a Moran using ATS34 or RWL34 steel with a tapered tang.
However, that may in some way be undesired here given the particular nature of this knife.
Or perhaps not.
What do you think?
With all that said, I’d like to see this knife become more popular. The Moran is so unique and deserving of more.
If it means using a higher end steel, then by all means do it. Any of those mentioned above sound good. I’ll buy one.
i would be all over the Loveless drop point hunter. I like the pattern so much that I am going to make one at home.
Would be cool to see a Spyderco take on some classic Loveless desings.

VG10 is the only thing preventing me from buying Bill Moran, HAP 40 and I would buy it right now.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have both of the morans (drop and trailing point) and have used them to process a lot of deer. I actually think vg10 makes a lot of sense on these knives. It takes a nice toothy edge off a dmt coarse (the only stone I use on game knives) and it holds it well. And it's quick and easy to sharpen which is nice in inclement conditions. The corrosion resistance is a plus too.

If I were to buy a moran in another steel I would want a toothy high vanadium tool steel. Something like k390 or 10v would really be killer with the coarse edge I like on game knives. I have several k390 and 10v knives and I really like the bite of the edge they take.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:51 pm
I have both of the morans (drop and trailing point) and have used them to process a lot of deer. I actually think vg10 makes a lot of sense on these knives. It takes a nice toothy edge off a dmt coarse (the only stone I use on game knives) and it holds it well. And it's quick and easy to sharpen which is nice in inclement conditions. The corrosion resistance is a plus too.

If I were to buy a moran in another steel I would want a toothy high vanadium tool steel. Something like k390 or 10v would really be killer with the coarse edge I like on game knives. I have several k390 and 10v knives and I really like the bite of the edge they take.
Heck yes!! A MORAN model with K390 and/or 10V would be colossal!! I also find it interesting that this Brother uses a relatively coarse stone on blades for processing wild game. I'm going to look into that for sure. Albeit I've found that the Spyderco "FINE" stone gives a nice edge that penetrates easily.

And I do agree with Matt that VG-10 is a blade steel I still like to use. Which is one reason my TEMPERANCE 1 models will probably be my favorite Spyderco fixed blades for some time to come.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

JD - Yeah for my use a coarse edge runs rings around a fine edge for processing game. Coarse edges are more aggressive on draw cuts and the edge holding is much better for me when dealing with hide, tendons, and meat. This is just my experience.

Also I use a Temperance 2 quite a bit. It is actually my favorite fixed blade. Now that's a knife I would like to see in a tool steel! It's a gem.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:31 pm
JD - Yeah for my use a coarse edge runs rings around a fine edge for processing game. Coarse edges are more aggressive on draw cuts and the edge holding is much better for me when dealing with hide, tendons, and meat. This is just my experience.

Also I use a Temperance 2 quite a bit. It is actually my favorite fixed blade. Now that's a knife I would like to see in a tool steel! It's a gem.
That makes 2 of us that would like to see a TEMP 2 in a tool steel or even one of the cryo-quenched Supersteels. I was horribly disappointed when they brought out the TEMP 2 and didn't offer it in Spyderedge. The TEMP 1 was a fabulous fixed blade in SE & PE both. I'm glad I kept a PE & SE version of the TEMP 1. Even after all these years the TEMP 1 is still about my favorite Spyderco fixed blade.

I would also like to see them offer the MORAN model fixed blade in a newer/better blade steel. It's been such a long running and really popular model I'm sure it would sell great in a new blade steel. Tool steels and fixed blades are great together.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wait, isn't stainless steel generally a good option for a knife that'll be used hard in the wild? Why would a steel that can stand up to high temps, or be used to shape other metal, be preferable for an outdoor knife? Not arguing, just want to understand the logic.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Yeah I agree that stainless is nice in many situations for the corrosion resistance. But tool steels generally offer a better combination of edge retention and toughness than stainless at comparable hardness. This is a broad generalization but tends to hold true. And I have found that tool steels sharpen up nicer as compared to higher chromium steels, holding hardness and vanadium content equal.

I like vg10 for this sort of knife but that's not to say that something like k390 or M4 wouldn't offer superior attributes for some situations. In general I have not found corrosion resistance to be very important for fixed blades (for me at least) because they don't live in a sweaty pocket like a folder.