I should uh, probably get a Chaparral. Right?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: I should uh, probably get a Chaparral. Right?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:29 am
and the possibility of the return of the sage 2
When/where was the possible return of the Sage 2 mentioned? How did I miss that?

Get a Chap! I have two and, while they don't get carried as often as I'd like, they could easily be my only pocket knife. I like that Chaparrals so much I pre-ordered a Maple one as soon they went up for pre-order
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:28 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
When/where was the possible return of the Sage 2 mentioned? How did I miss that?
Well I figured if they disco’d the sage 1, and re-released it with a new steel. I assume the rest of the line will follow. Maybe also in maxamet, maybe in other steels. Like I said, it’s a possibility. No confirmation from Sal. Yet...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:28 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Well I figured if they disco’d the sage 1, and re-released it with a new steel. I assume the rest of the line will follow. Maybe also in maxamet, maybe in other steels. Like I said, it’s a possibility. No confirmation from Sal. Yet...
Just speculation...got it! I was surprised by the return of the Sage 1. So anything's possible I guess
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:00 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 am
The Chaparral is a knife I want to love, but that cliché issue of "lock bar too thin, hurts thumb" unfortunately made it a deal breaker for me. The FRN was nice, very similar to Seki but more like Kinects vs Lego. The CF/G10 was alright as well. Perhaps three's a charm with the wood handles, and I'll ignore the lock "issue". The thin blade is definitely a winner. And isn't XHP just a cool name for a blade steel?
The lockbar on the Chaparral has never been an issue for me but I owned one before the "thin lockbar" complaint was ever prevalent here on the forum. I've never had the preconceived notion that the lockbar will be too thin, so it really just never bothered me.

The Chaparral was never a knife I intended to "fidget" with either, so I never encountered a time where I was using the lock repeatedly in a short time.
I guess it's one of those weird preference issues. For example I've heard a lot of people describe the impossibility of using the TriAd lock. I've seen some of my friends not just struggle, but completely fail at closing a CS folder. I told them "just press it with your thumb really hard" but they just gave up. It's not that difficult once you get used to it. But for whatever reason I couldn't get used to the Chaparral lock bar. I know it's silly.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:14 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:00 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 am
The Chaparral is a knife I want to love, but that cliché issue of "lock bar too thin, hurts thumb" unfortunately made it a deal breaker for me. The FRN was nice, very similar to Seki but more like Kinects vs Lego. The CF/G10 was alright as well. Perhaps three's a charm with the wood handles, and I'll ignore the lock "issue". The thin blade is definitely a winner. And isn't XHP just a cool name for a blade steel?
The lockbar on the Chaparral has never been an issue for me but I owned one before the "thin lockbar" complaint was ever prevalent here on the forum. I've never had the preconceived notion that the lockbar will be too thin, so it really just never bothered me.

The Chaparral was never a knife I intended to "fidget" with either, so I never encountered a time where I was using the lock repeatedly in a short time.
I guess it's one of those weird preference issues. For example I've heard a lot of people describe the impossibility of using the TriAd lock. I've seen some of my friends not just struggle, but completely fail at closing a CS folder. I told them "just press it with your thumb really hard" but they just gave up. It's not that difficult once you get used to it. But for whatever reason I couldn't get used to the Chaparral lock bar. I know it's silly.
I don't think it's silly at all. For me it came down to this: I have knives that I love that are perfectly comfortable to unlock each and every time. The Chap, on the other hand, was uncomfortable to unlock each and every time. So it got sold to make room for something else that doesn't make me feel frustrated each time I close it. There are plenty of other spydies out there that make me happy each time I use them. Why hang onto one that doesn't?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Chap does break in, each of my Chaps I have left half open overnight and they've been considerably smoother since.
kobold

Post by kobold »

IME the raffir noble is just fine when it comes to scratches. And I think the maple is stabilized wood, which means it's basically plastic; won't warp.

Yes, get a chap. I like both my FRN and RN versions, but the FRN is a bit too thin, so not so good ergonomically as all the other ones.

By disassembling and sliding the spring out of its socket 2-3mm, one can reduce the strength of the back-lock. Now I can thumb flick / reverse flick ten out of ten times. And the thin lock bar is not too hard on my finger either because of this. It was a non-issue for me anyway.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10