How often do you carry discontinued knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PSquared

How often do you carry discontinued knives?

Post by PSquared »

So how often do you carry discontinued knives? I seem to prefer the older models (but not as much as I thought it transpires). I do understand and appreciate the fear that they may not be replaceable or repairable if they are lost or damaged. I also understand wanting to carry the latest releases.

I thought that most of the knives I carry are out of production so I added another filter in my spreadsheet to confirm (yes, I have a problem and I record my daily carry in a spreadsheet that has pivot tables). Whilst most of the Spydercos I carry are discontinued, a lot other knives like my Bugouts (my most carried knife), Chris Reeves, Mcustas, etc are still in production and reasonably easy to replace.

So I split it down as follows:
Current production
Current production (modified) - still in production but not as easy to replace due to custom scales etc, pretty much my Bugouts and Delicas
Customs - one offs, or knives from custom makers that will be impossible or very difficult to replace
Discontinued - ranging from inconvenient to impossible to replace without spending silly money

I was surprised, I thought I was carrying more disco'd knives
2020 year to date :
Current production: 99 (only my Spyderco Watu (2) was released this year, the rest are "old" current production)
Current production (modified) : 40
Customs : 24
Disco'd : 124

Just curious, do the people here carry the latest and greatest more than the discontinued classics?
JD Spydo

Re: How often do you carry discontinued knives?

Post by JD Spydo »

I have probably carried a "discontinued" factory Spyderco knife virtually every single day since the year 2005. Yeah almost daily since that time and if I really thought about it hard it might even go back further than that.

Right now today 10-14-20 I am carrying my M390 Military model along with an ancient Spyderco ATS-55, Stainless Handled RESCUE model ( which is quite a rare older Spyder). When I'm not carrying my full SE Stainless RESCUE model I'm usually carrying one of my SE Merlin models or one of my SE JD Smith models. I carry one full PE and one full SE every day of the week.

I'm a very serious "old school" Spyderco fan and I have quite a few discontinued models that I rotate and carry frequently. And with this new, upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob on it's way soon I don't look for that to change anytime in the near future either.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

JD, you don't strike me as a guy that would carry one of these newfangled flipper bearing Ti framelock thangs ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I kind of consider Sprints and Exclusives as discontinued knives as well. Yes, some exclusives get re-run from time to time, but not very often. Most of my knives are Sprints/Exclusives because I like to seek out different steels to try and that's normally the only way to get some of these. I enjoy using them all and providing my own personal feedback on them, because I know many are afraid of using those knives because of resale value or scuffing them up or whatever reason they don't use them. I hope sometimes others will see that even when using a knife, it's not going to ruin it! Their knives anyways, not precious gemstones! USE EM!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not a Spyderco, but I continued to carry and use a Benchmade TSEK axis lock for a good while after it was discontinued. I don’t carry it anymore, though (due to not being “into” the axis lock as I once was).

The only knife I have that I can think of that I would never carry is my old Spyderco Tim Wegner Hunter. For some illogical reason, I’m very protective of that knife.

Otherwise, if I feel like carrying and using a knife, I will, discontinued or not. We’re only in this lifetime once, and we can’t take our knives with us when we go.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very well said Jim, and also as Sal always says...something along the lines of if you don't use the knife, you can't appreciate it's design. I think I'll take his word for it! I can't imagine having my 5 Manix's and never using them because they are all sprints/exclusives!! I'd have missed out on my most favorite model I've tried yet, just to look at it on a stand or kept away in a safe.

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Almost every knife I carry is discontinued. Right now I'm carrying a Chinook 2 CE, 440V SE native, and an orange SE H1 spyderhawk. I also switch out for a SE S35VN native 5 which is also not made anymore with that steel. Police 4 g10 is discoed, Kris is discoed, the Yo2s I carry are sprints etc, etc. I think the only knife I currently rotate that isn't discoed/sprint is the autonomy 2. I also rotate some other brands that are also discoed or no longer made the same either through updates or new models entirely. I don't abuse my knives(unless I'm testing) if I can help it though but they do get scratches and what not from normal use and carry. I used to try and buy spares but it got costly and then I needed room to store the spare. Then I felt bad for not carrying them so I would move them. Sold a spyderco kumo because I didn't want to actually carry it and scratch it. Kinda regret that one. They aren't getting cheaper. I just don't have that collector mentality. It's more of an accumulation of tools that I rotate but they all get used. I carry custom knives too. I bought them because I couldn't find a production knife like that so I intended to use them either way. If I sell them and don't make my money back it doesn't hurt me. I got my use out of it and I'm sure the next person will enjoy using it too. I thought I lost my Kris for the longest time and I traded a friend a knife to get one back. It wasn't the same though. It wasn't MY knife. Luckily I found it a year later. I had the flu or something really bad when I lost it so I wasn't sure where it went. Thought I lost it at a restaurant so I stopped looking for it around the house. I have carried and flipped a Jody Samson ground balisong too. That one was pretty risky seeing as not only was it out of production but Jody passed away years ago. I don't carry that one much anymore. I just need to use a knife to enjoy it. I like seeing how it performs and also just how it functions. I appreciate the designs and artistry too and I feel like I'm respecting the maker/company by actually using it for its purpose. Some companies and makers actually enjoy feedback from customers who use their products. I feel it helps us all out.

If you don't feel like reading. I buy everything with the intention of using it.
benben

Post by benben »

True discontinued Spyderco’s, 3 or 4 times a week. Carrying a Superleaf today!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It all kind of depends for me. I have several discontinued models that I have no problem carrying and using. About the only ones that I'm a little leery of carrying are my small Persian and Sage 4. That's because those polished bolsters are so easily scratched and I have other similar models I can use instead.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 am
It all kind of depends for me. I have several discontinued models that I have no problem carrying and using. About the only ones that I'm a little leery of carrying are my small Persian and Sage 4. That's because those polished bolsters are so easily scratched and I have other similar models I can use instead.
Always very jealous of seeing a rare Sage 4!! I was a little late to the game for that one, but oh baby...classy carry only, no keys or anything else in that pocket. A real beauty!

-Rick
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Every single day, to the point that my carrying anything that's in current production is highly unusual and inevitably augmented by something that isn't. My Burgundy Micarta Jester was already discontinued when I bought it 17 years ago and has been on my key ring ever since. There's almost always some version of the Kiwi in my coin pocket and, on the rare occasions when there isn't, it's been temporarily replaced by either a jigged bone Micro Dyad or a jigged bone Kopa. There's generally some version of the Stretch in my back pocket and, most often, it's either a heavily customized 1st generation, a prototype or customized 2nd generation, or a customized Sprint Run straight spine Stretch 2. Heck, even my two most often used "desk knives" ares a Centofante Memory and an orange Moran DP.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Every time I carry my Goddard Sprint, which I love.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 am
I kind of consider Sprints and Exclusives as discontinued knives as well. Yes, some exclusives get re-run from time to time, but not very often. Most of my knives are Sprints/Exclusives because I like to seek out different steels to try and that's normally the only way to get some of these. I enjoy using them all and providing my own personal feedback on them, because I know many are afraid of using those knives because of resale value or scuffing them up or whatever reason they don't use them. I hope sometimes others will see that even when using a knife, it's not going to ruin it! Their knives anyways, not precious gemstones! USE EM!

That´s 100% my approach too: I could not keep a knife unless I love to use it and thus, well, DO actually use it... ;)
Many features, pros and cons, the "soul" of a design (or certain steels) for me can just be experienced by really put a knife to work in various tasks.
A handle that feels perfect when just holding the knife might get unstable and uncomfortable in real, prolongued use, a blade shape that looks weird might show its value just when doing real, hard cutting and so on.

So, of course I carry and use discontinued knives!
In my case first and foremost the Stretch 1, both in VG10 and in HAP 40.
If, as Rick suggests, sprints and exclusives count also as "discontinued" (and I think they do): My HAP 40 Endura sees a ton of use, and my REX 45 Manix 2 LW looks pretty used already, though I just got it quite recently... ;)

Now, that being said: This is MY approach. And I fully respect if others enjoy the hobby and knives in different ways, even if that means never using some or most of them. It´s just not for me... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spot on Wartstein, regarding how a knife may feel perfect when just holding it. That's how I felt about the PM2...very comfortable in my hand, until I used it hard. I believe in that "spyderco review/feedback thread" I posted about using a PM2 and showed a nasty blister I got on my thumb after doing a lot of cutting. The same cutting I did with a Manix, Shaman, even a Smock and had no such issues. That's when I realized maybe knives with the large hump aren't for me when it comes to extended use. I never would have thought that had I just handled it to play around with it, or just to cut an apple or something. I'm glad that I did that, and realized that it's not really the knife for me...though I will keep it anyways haha!

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 am
Always very jealous of seeing a rare Sage 4!! I was a little late to the game for that one, but oh baby...classy carry only, no keys or anything else in that pocket. A real beauty!
I have carried it but only a couple times since I got it. It's basically a holiday knife for me. I have other "holiday" knives too (40th Anniversary Native, Fluted Ti Native, etc) I guess I should've added those to the list of limited carry. I don't really like having safe queens but I have too many other good choices for regular duty. It is what it is
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Frequently. I don't buy knives I'm not willing to use. Even if its a rare sprint that was discontinued a decade ago. I try to use ones I can replace easily, especially when camping or at work, but sometimes I still bring something special with me.

1/3 of my EDC rotation is discontinued.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pretty often for me. Two of my top three favorite Spyderco knives of all time are disco'd (Police 4 G10 and Pacific Salt) and I also have a few Sprint Runs that I use from time to time.

Come to think of it, my favorite non-Spydie is also discontinued. (CRK Large Sebenza 21)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I have a Euro Edge I have never used, but honestly I did only buy it because of how it looks. The other discontinued knife I have is the Pattada, other than light kitchen duty a couple times I haven’t used it much. That’s not because it’s discontinued though.

Sometimes I tend to hold off on using knives for a while until the newness wears off.

In my mind when I think about purchasing a knife (with the exception of the Euro Edge) I have all intentions of using it but for whatever reason some discontinued or not don’t really get used.

I’ve been pushing myself more lately to use Spydercos that get pampered and left behind but due to cost or sentimental value it’s not easy.
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Maybe not seven days a week, but probably five. I like what I like, and a knife is a tool. While rarity isn't a deciding factor in what I carry, I do have a flair for the unusual and am more likely to gravitate toward the rare.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I made a quick check and the majority of my knives in EDC-rotation are discontinued knives. Nevertheless I'm not distressed, because as far as I know all of them don't have an expiry date. :D

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto