Wildland Firefighters Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Wildland Firefighters Knife

Post by Fireman »

I found the thickest gauge barbed wire I could find and the wire breaker notch could still break it in less than 5 seconds. I tried a variety of other wire fences with good results as well. Looking into the best ways to implement the notch.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Looking at the endura and PM2 in Wharncliffe blade I was thinking that it does not take much to custom mod or factory mod the discussed Wildland knife with the larger millie style handle with a sheep’s foot blade to a Wharnie.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

This topic has been inactive during almost one year. I don’t know if “no news good news” applies this time.

Is the WLFK still beings considered by Spyderco? It was decided that it is a no-go project?

Just curious…🤔
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Good things come to those that wait they say. :face monocle I am glad Spyderco would rather do it right and that takes time.
Kissaki

Post by Kissaki »

Hi Fireman,

Since this thread has come back to life... In your research, you may already be aware of a French company named Wildsteer (https://www.wildsteer.com/en/). If not, check out the WING Tactic. Interesting knife they make for GIGN that incorporates a unique wire cutter. Fred Perrin would likely have feedback on the utility of the design.

Best,

K
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for sharing. I am drawn to the modified notch because of the KISS principle. I need to talk to some Australian wildland FFs. I think the wildland firefighters of Australia probably run into wire fences too with all their ranches.
Uief5

Post by Uief5 »

Hey just curious where this ended up going? Saw the thread a browsing for new knife suggestions. Im also in wildland fire, going into my fourth season as a fft2(though I do have a fft1 task book open finally). Just curious as after reading your ideas definitely seems like a good knife I would want on my line gear. Currently I have a para 3 as well as a gerber strongarm fixed blade I carry a lot. Where I work in the off-season, University of Idaho experimental forest, doesn’t do any medical but we do alot of prescribed burns as well as are a engine company for the state department of lands. Don’t recall doing any medical with the forest service over the summers I’ve worked for them either but who knows. Definitely would like an update!
UIEF 5
UIEF engine 1
UI logger sports team member
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Uief5:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum and thank you for your service to the community.

Stay safe,

Mike
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Uief5 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:48 am
Hey just curious where this ended up going? Saw the thread a browsing for new knife suggestions. Im also in wildland fire, going into my fourth season as a fft2(though I do have a fft1 task book open finally). Just curious as after reading your ideas definitely seems like a good knife I would want on my line gear. Currently I have a para 3 as well as a gerber strongarm fixed blade I carry a lot. Where I work in the off-season, University of Idaho experimental forest, doesn’t do any medical but we do alot of prescribed burns as well as are a engine company for the state department of lands. Don’t recall doing any medical with the forest service over the summers I’ve worked for them either but who knows. Definitely would like an update!
Thanks for posting. Can you post your experience with the notch feature?
Uief5

Post by Uief5 »

Sure thing Fireman!
I was with Grangeville Helitack and one of the few people there also qualified as a helirappeler. I’m returning to them this coming season. I never tried the notch on a folder but on the gerber strong arm it works really well. I’ve got mine angled and on the spine of the blade about an inch above where the grip ends. I’ve used it a good bit in the off season as I now also am sort of responsible for running the family ranch. It works wonders but I would want a thick enough blade stock. If you’ve got any questions or just want to chat about anything feel free to reach out! That goes to anyone.
UIEF 5
UIEF engine 1
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Uief5 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:48 am
Hey just curious where this ended up going?.....

I am not a fire fighter, but a Spydie that, as proposed, is light, features a long cutting edge and a wire cutter (in whatever way this would be implemented) could be interesting for many people beyond that profession.

For me it definitely would be! I am occasionally working for mountain huts/shelters, doing some basic maintenance, unloading supplies from helicopters and such things. I also have some training in stuff like rescuing people from car wrecks and the like.

All scenarios where such a knife would have its place, like it actually would as a general, versatile EDC (emergency and general) tool anyway...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for bringing this up again. We spoke with Fireman quite a bit a while back, but we were really busy and let it sit on a shelf. (More than a few designs sit on shelves due to too much going on). I think I'd like to pick it up again and make a prototype. We've done a number of drawings based on the Military Model, and Fireman's notch, but we didn't cut any steel.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am still so grateful this knife will be done by the people of spyderco who have such passion and compassion. I know you have had a lot on your plate with the way the world the way has been lately. I will be happy to see some prototypes in hands of those who will be on the fires this year. Let’s cut some steel! :smiling-heart-eyes Excited to see what we come up with.
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:51 am
Thanx much for bringing this up again. We spoke with Fireman quite a bit a while back, but we were really busy and let it sit on a shelf. (More than a few designs sit on shelves due to too much going on). I think I'd like to pick it up again and make a prototype. We've done a number of drawings based on the Military Model, and Fireman's notch, but we didn't cut any steel.

sal
Uief5

Post by Uief5 »

**** yeah! Well I’m definitely going to be keeping my eye on this thread to see if this goes anywhere again. My experience is more helitack and helirappel than engine, so I have a slightly different standard for tools, but would definitely be interested in picking one up if they become a thing for some field trials. The notches angle makes all the difference for breaking barbed wire. I tested mine on my gerber strongarm just over the winter repairing fences on the family ranch. That ***** also works well for breaking or cutting webbing straps if it’s the right angle.
sal wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:51 am

sal
UIEF 5
UIEF engine 1
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

TL;DR
The conversation here is interesting and the idea is great but it's being overthought. Here's my suggestion:

Spyderco x Wildland Firefighter Foundation

This is based on on the following.

1. (8) seasons as a wildland firefighter1.
2. Carrying a Native FRN PE from 2003-2010.
3. Spyderco has already done it, sort of2.

Pragmatically, the diversity of wildland crews and personnel will make it difficult to appeal to a significant portion of that market. Specialized features like a wire cutter, although useful to some, will not appeal to many others. Based on my previous work experience and more recent knife experience, I'd still choose a lightweight knife with clip and round hole opener, i.e. a Spyderco.

1 4 seasons as a sawyer on a Hotshot crew (FALC), 1 season on an engine crew (ENGB), 1 season on a helicopter crew (HECM) and 3 seasons as a smokejumper (SMKJ).
2 Never Summer/National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Native 5 Lightweight
Last edited by m6steen on Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

There is a way to have the Wildland fire knife with and without the wire breaker.
Uief5

Post by Uief5 »

You make a good point m6steen. Keep it simple. I will say one knife I’ve liked recently has been the gerber that has the open bearing. Just makes it harder to lose when you can loop a carabiner through the bearing and keep it attached to something that way. Think it was originally designed that way for climbers? Any form of attachment point would be good though.
UIEF 5
UIEF engine 1